Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 AM

78 posts, read 263,707 times

Advertisements

I hope somebody can enlighten me why (town)houses without a garage sell for up to 30K LESS than the ones with it? Is the weather so unforgiving on the cars? Do they corrode faster?
I can find townhouses without a garage even in better,closer to DC neighborhoods in Fairfax county!
Please someone explain why having a garage is such a "luxury"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:44 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,133,641 times
It's nice having a garage for your car. You don't have to let your car run as long to warm up the inside, it keeps your car cleaner longer and you don't have to clean up the snow or pollen. If you don't care about your car, then you can use your garage to store all your junk.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,935,273 times
I would imagine a better re-sell value, amongst other things previously mentioned

Old 10-28-2009, 10:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
It's hard to find street parking in some neighborhoods, especially as you get closer in. You may end up spending that 30K buying a parking space so that you can guarantee having a place to park.

Also, leaving a car outside in really cold weather might drain your car battery. I'm no car expert, but I can tell you that I used to have to park outside when I lived in Arlington and had to get the car jumped a few times.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
It's nice having a garage for your car. You don't have to let your car run as long to warm up the inside, it keeps your car cleaner longer and you don't have to clean up the snow or pollen. If you don't care about your car, then you can use your garage to store all your junk.
Yes, all of this. While the weather here is not brutal, it's still annoying when you park outdoors. Even in the summer, it gets so HOT inside a car parked outside.

A townhouse doesn't have much storage space at all, unless you have a garage.

Also, as a parent, I liked having a garage because I could leave the kids strapped into their carseats while I unloaded groceries and not worry. This would be especially valuable in a townhouse development, where you're likely to have to park far away from your door.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
A townhouse doesn't have much storage space at all, unless you have a garage.
A very good point. I store so many things in our garage. If I didn't have a garage I'd have to leave the bikes and kayaks and kids toys out in the yard. And then it would look like the house threw up.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,133,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Also, leaving a car outside in really cold weather might drain your car battery. I'm no car expert, but I can tell you that I used to have to park outside when I lived in Arlington and had to get the car jumped a few times.
Batteries should last at least 5 years so long as the car is charging the battery properly. My last battery lasted 6 years for example before it started to get a little sluggish. It still started, just took a little longer and I didn't want to wait till I was stuck before replacing it.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,246,901 times
I think they're more expensive because they are indeed more convenient due to the reasons mentioned above. Also when it does snow one doesn't have to worry about getting it off the car if it's parked in a garage. It's safer too if your car is in a garage or shucks even in a carport it's less likely to be stolen or vandalized. The townhouses I've seen without garages outnumber the ones that do so supply and demand play into it too.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,765 times
It's a safety issue also. I work odd hours as a Realtor and it gives me peace of mind to know I can open the garage from my car, pull in and close the garage door behind me while still in my car.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM

989 posts, read 2,856,530 times
Honestly, as far as townhouses go, I'd much prefer NOT to have a garage. They take up a lot of room that could be more living space. I had a non-garage townhouse that was much larger inside than its comparable garage townhouse. A garage takes up most of the lower level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia