Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM

42 posts, read 113,800 times

Advertisements

So I read inklings a while back here about the Virginia car tax. So I tried to go on the VA state gov websites to understand more and just got more confused. Can someone here put it in plain English? If I have a car that is worth $14,000, what am I going to have to pay when I move to NoVa? Are there no tax breaks based on income? I just want to know what I should budget for, and what the time frame is for paying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:08 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
It's called personal property tax and its on cars, boat, etc. Each county has a different tax rate so you wouldn't be able to get a good estimate until you knew where you were going to live.

I have four cars (two new and two older) and my total bill was around $900 for all of them.

I used to live in Maryland and we did not have personal property tax; however, we had an extra payroll tax and that's how they got their money. The payroll tax was quite a bit more than I've ever had to pay in personal property tax. So depending where you live now, your tax bill may end up being a wash--you might just pay taxes in different ways.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM

42 posts, read 113,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It's called personal property tax and its on cars, boat, etc. Each county has a different tax rate so you wouldn't be able to get a good estimate until you knew where you were going to live.

I have four cars (two new and two older) and my total bill was around $900 for all of them.

I used to live in Maryland and we did not have personal property tax; however, we had an extra payroll tax and that's how they got their money. The payroll tax was quite a bit more than I've ever had to pay in personal property tax. So depending where you live now, your tax bill may end up being a wash--you might just pay taxes in different ways.
I'll be living in Fairfax. And is it an every year tax or just a one-time tax?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
You did't find anything about it on the VA state gov websites because it is NOT A STATE TAX. It is a local tax...city, county, or town, depending on where you live.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
I don't think there is any sort of relief for the car tax based upon income, but my understanding is that you can challenge the value the jurisdiction places on your vehicle if you think it's too high. I don't know how involved that process is, but it is a potential option to lower the amount of tax. I believe you can challenge it based upon the physical condition and/or the mileage. I have two compact cars (2005 Elantra and 2009 Corolla) and my personal property tax this year on those cars was around $130. I'm in Fairfax County.

Because the tax is based upon the estimated value of your cars, I believe it is also deductible for federal tax purposes, which may lessen the impact of the tax depending upon your particular tax situation.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I don't think there is any sort of relief for the car tax based upon income, but my understanding is that you can challenge the value the jurisdiction places on your vehicle if you think it's too high. I don't know how involved that process is, but it is a potential option to lower the amount of tax. I believe you can challenge it based upon the physical condition and/or the mileage. I have two compact cars (2005 Elantra and 2009 Corolla) and my personal property tax this year on those cars was around $130. I'm in Fairfax County.

Because the tax is based upon the estimated value of your cars, I believe it is also deductible for federal tax purposes, which may lessen the impact of the tax depending upon your particular tax situation.
I got mine lowered due to high mileage. Very easy to do.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I'll be living in Fairfax. And is it an every year tax or just a one-time tax?

You pay every year.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Due to state funding of car tax "relief", you effectively have different "tax brackets" based on the value of your car. Each jurisdiction does it a little differently, and the exact numbers change year to year, but basically you should see a pretty reduced rate up to $20,000 in value, and then a much higher rate beyond that. There may even be a 0% rate for the first couple thousand in value.

In other words, a $45,000 value car will have a tax that is way more than triple what a $15,000 value car would have.

For your 14K car, it might run you a couple hundred bucks.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Every county has slightly different rate and rules, but the resulting tax is very similar.

For example, Fairfax County charges 4.57%, but currently (in 2012) has a 63% subsidy for the first $20,000 of assessed value. So the tax rate on the first $20K is effectively 1.7%. Any amount over $20K is taxed at the 4.57%.

So for your $14K car the tax should be 14000*0.017 = $238.

If you bought a new BMW or something for $50K, the tax is (20K*.017) + (30K*.0457) = $1711 (!!!)

The car tax is also deductible on your taxes if you itemize. So the tax is not directly tied to income, but at the same time it is because the tax on expensive cars is very high and rich people tend to have nicer cars, although they are also more likely to itemize deductions as well.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
depends on the county. I believe you pay twice a year in Arlington. Probably run you a couple hundred in total
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia