Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

By zip codes, I believe it is 22204...or is that just part of it?

RestonRunner also mentioned a Columbia Pike Corridor that is being developed with a streetcar?

From what I have gathered so far, this is the reasonably priced area of Arlington comparitively, although mostly because of its distance from the popular subway stations.

What else defines this region....what's the rest of the story with this area?

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 09-19-2010 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 10:04 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What else defines this region....what's the rest of the story with this area?

<crickets chirping>

I might venture an answer, but it would not be one that most posters want to admit or confront here.

Last edited by Fern435; 09-19-2010 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: someone will squawk about the word "anyone"

Old 09-19-2010, 11:07 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
From what I've gathered so far...looking at demographics. South Arlington (zip code 22204) has the highest percentage of foreign-born in the DC area at 40.5% of the population.

When I looked up who made up the foreign-born, I found that 23% El Salvodorean, 13% Bolivian, 6% Ethiopian, 5% Vietnamese, 4% Guatamalan, 4% Mexican and 4% Peruvian.

So, outside of the Ethiopian and Vietnamese...it sounds like it an overwhelmingly LATINO magnet for the region. (This is just that one particular zip code though, fairly unsure what else constitutes South Arlington).

Nontheless, I'll add that here. Otherwise, looks like a lot of detached housing...for the most part? Or am I missing things here....?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:23 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in your various posts regarding demographics is (I admit I havne't read them all) that I doubt these demographics take into consideration the illegal population. I would add some serious % points to some of those numbers. If this has been mentioned...'cuse me, it's early.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
I used to live in 22204 - just south of Columbia Pike, east of Bailey's Crossroads (South Frederick Street). My apartment was in a small garden-style complex - Columbia Grove. The side streets are mostly single-family homes, but there are apartment complexes all along Columbia Pike. There are also lots of little strip shopping centers with fast food, banks, laundromats, auto parts, drugstores, etc. The eastern end of Columbia Pike is more gentrified. There's no Metro nearby, so it's a heavy bus corridor. There are some good neighborhood ethnic restaurants.

As you have noted, the area has a lot of immigrants, illegal and legal. It is not an affluent area. There are always people out and about. My street had a lot of theft from vehicles, but otherwise it was fine. I was 25 when I moved there, a single white female, and never felt unsafe.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

From what I have gathered so far, this is the reasonably priced area of Arlington comparitively, although mostly because of its distance from the popular subway stations.
Well, not exactly. The housing stock is very different from much of North Arlington. Lots of aging garden apartments, high-rises, duplexes, and tiny single-family homes on postage-stamp lots. There are some enclaves of the suburban-style SFH neighborhoods that are common in North Arlington, but they are surrounded by a sea of strip shopping centers and higher-density housing. There are many more immigrants and non-family households, and because of the demographics, the schools have lower test scores than those in North Arlington.
It's not all about distance to the Metro.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
It's a nice enough area that attracts a wide variety of people. Like everywhere else, it has chain stores as well as lots of ethnic restaurants. Homes and apartments seem to be smaller, so (in general) less families with children, and more 20 somethings than some other areas--but if you decide to move there your kids will still find plenty of other children to play with, AFAIK.

The only negative comment I've heard about the area is that neighbors tend to keep to themselves. A SAHM might find it hard to find a lot of friends there. I think it's due to the density. When you have a lot of neighbors right in your face you tend to create a private little bubble. That's what I've heard, anyway, but to be fair I don't live there and haven't really spent much time there so this is second hand info.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
It's not all about distance to the Metro.
I agree. Many people don't care one way or the other about the metro. If it's not something you use, you don't really care if it's nearby or not.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
There is crime of the "don't leave your laptop in an unlocked car" variety, but east of say Glebe (and especially Courthouse) it's similar to Shirlington (gentrified, but not near a Metro). Unless, of course, someone plans on running with MS-13.

It is immigrant-rich enough west of Glebe to make squeamish folks squeamish.

The 16 series of busses runs along Columbia Pike about every 5 minutes in rush hour, 15 minutes in non-rush (or is it 10?) In any case, it is the best bus line in the WMATA fleet. I'd rate it way above Shirlington in terms of character and access to transportation.

Schoolwise, some of the elementaries are worth a try, although Gunston and Kenmore MS can't even get full accreditation (putting them in an "elite" 2% of public schools in VA). Jefferson is not much fun, either, I have heard.

If you're up for doing the Alexandria thing of "public until 6th grade, then private," it might work out for you.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
We have heard its easier to get into HB Woodlawn, Arlington's "Progressive" alternative school, from S arlington than it is from North Arlington.

There are some nice pockets in S arlington, with some interesting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia