Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 AM

58 posts, read 117,720 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a 44-year old single, ultra-professional who is relocating my company from one of the most boring cities in the country to the DC/NoVa area in about 3-4 months. I'm looking for a reasonably priced community (always the challenge, isn't it?) where there is a nightlife (not with 20-somethings), stores open late, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. Definitely need some excitement in my life! :-)

Any recommendations? I hear Ballston is great. Georgetown might be ideal, but I fear out of my price range ... Just looking to rent initially and hoping to keep rent at about $1000 a month if possible. A studio apt. is fine for me.

Also, where are the DC hot spots for high-level networking? Where do the politicos go after work? Where are the best places to meet well-connected, professionals? (Not really interested in dating - looking for solid, high-level business contacts. I run a very savvy PR and personal branding firm so would be looking for clients.)

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
I you won't find anything to rent in Ballston or Georgetown for $1000. I understand rentals out here in Reston are above the $1000 range too!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
What sort of business do you own? And do you have a network already established in Virginia. Nova is a very network oriented place, I don't think it's smart to just move here and start a business if you don't already have contacts.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Agreed, $1000 a month is on the low end. That's not Ballston or Georgetown, more like garden apartments or average old highrises. Maybe some places along 16th St NW or Connecticut under $1200. Capitol Hill is hit or miss, safe one block, scary the next. Maybe this is an option: The Townhomes on Capitol Hill - Cooperative Housing in Washington DC

You might want to post on the DC forum for answers about where the movers and shakers meet. Maybe Michaele Salahi could help with moving among the social circles

Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
"I'm looking for a reasonably priced community (always the challenge, isn't it?) where there is a nightlife (not with 20-somethings), stores open late, restaurants, movie theaters, etc."

If you also want "safe for a single woman" and "reasonably close to DC," you're not going to find it for $1000. In DC, you can find these things (except possibly the movie theaters) in Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Capitol Hill, etc. but not for $1000.
Conversely, you can find places for $1000, but the safe ones will be out in the further suburbs, far away from the nightlife. But lots of movie theaters!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
You might try Del Ray in Alexandria. There are some small apt. buildings along Mount Vernon Ave. with nice fairly new studios renting around $1,000. It's reasonably safe and there are lots of decent shops and restaurants. Not sure about movie theaters but the Birchmere music venue's not far from there.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You might try Del Ray in Alexandria. There are some small apt. buildings along Mount Vernon Ave. with nice fairly new studios renting around $1,000. It's reasonably safe and there are lots of decent shops and restaurants. Not sure about movie theaters but the Birchmere music venue's not far from there.
There's actually three movie complexes within a few miles of Del Ray: Regal Cinemas Potomac Yard, Old Town Theater and AMC Hoffman Center.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:25 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
There's actually three movie complexes within a few miles of Del Ray: Regal Cinemas Potomac Yard, Old Town Theater and AMC Hoffman Center.
And don't forget Shirlington, which has a lot of nice restaurants too. None of these are walking distance but a short drive from Del Ray.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
What sort of business do you own? And do you have a network already established in Virginia. Nova is a very network oriented place, I don't think it's smart to just move here and start a business if you don't already have contacts.
I have a PR firm and do have contacts in the area already. Will be teaching at a couple of the universities while I'm building our client base in DC/NoVa. That's the easy part for me. The difficult part is learning where to network and where to live. I'm reading a lot of scary posts about the area being crime-ridden. I hope that's not the case.

I really appreciate all of the terrific suggestions!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
"I'm looking for a reasonably priced community (always the challenge, isn't it?) where there is a nightlife (not with 20-somethings), stores open late, restaurants, movie theaters, etc."

If you also want "safe for a single woman" and "reasonably close to DC," you're not going to find it for $1000. In DC, you can find these things (except possibly the movie theaters) in Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Capitol Hill, etc. but not for $1000.
Conversely, you can find places for $1000, but the safe ones will be out in the further suburbs, far away from the nightlife. But lots of movie theaters!
Great advice - thank you! Actually, I was hoping to find a condo to rent (maybe a lease-purchase if I really fall in love with the area). If you or anyone here happens to know how to locate condos for lease, that would be amazingly helpful. I'd much rather rent from a private condo owner than an apartment complex.

You guys (and gals!) are the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia