Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:07 AM

22 posts, read 72,838 times

Advertisements

I am seeking suggestions for areas for relocation of my family from Atlanta. We are a family of 5 (1 child with severe disabilities) and my husband has been offered a position @ Ft. Belvoir. I am a federal employee who will probably end up working in DC.

We are used to Atlanta traffic with commutes of 1 hour to 1.5 hours each way to travel 40 miles. We are looking for a SFH ( we will need to put in a ramp, etc.) in the $350 - $425,000 range with good schools (1 special needs, 1 gifted and 1 daycare) with a commute not more than 1 hour or so even if by train/public transportation.

Any suggestions? Hubby is expected to report in early May if he accepts position so decisions have to be made over the next week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
A SFH in your price range is going to put you in at Woodbridge. Lorton might be a stretch.

Your husband will have a great commute, yours will be anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on what time you leave. I live in Woodbridge and commute to DC (arrive at my desk at 6:00 a.m.) My commute is 40 minutes. For every 5 minutes later I am, my ride gets exponentially worse. Carpooling and slugging are great options but not so great if you have "kid" emergencies often and need to get home.

There are other locations that are better for getting into DC (Springfield for instance) but I'm not sure that you will easily meet your price range.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:20 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,694 times
In a normal housing market this wouldn't be possible but there are actually a few nice single-family homes in your price range in Fairfax County zip code 22315, which would be very close to Fort Belvoir and just a short drive to the Franconia-Springfield Metro on the Blue Line.

The school system website is FCPS Home Page Redirect Page and that can give you some guidance on placing your special-needs child.

Welcome and good luck!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Yeah I would vote for Springfield/Burke area. Of course I would rent first then take your time looking for a house to buy. Also that way you can get a feel for the neighborhood. Another option is further out in Manassas or even Stafford since you don't mind a long commute, you'll get more house for your money. However I'd still rent then explore different areas. Rental wise you might look at apartments in Springfield or the Kingstowne part of Alexandria.

A four bedroom for $325K might be a stretch though. You want might consider a large townhouse.

Woodbridge is supposed to be nice but some parts arent' so great from what I hear only been to the Carabbas there so don't quote me. I hear the Lakeridge section of Woodbridge is supposed to be nice.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 PM

269 posts, read 1,002,571 times
I second the Springfield/Burke suggestion, and it's a real buyer's market in Fairfax County at the moment so you can definitely find a 1960s/1970s home in the $420k price range, especially if it's bank-owned foreclosure or short-sale. My husband & I bought a lovely SFH in Burke in the mid-$400s, so I know you can find something, and the schools/commutes will definitely meet your criteria.

Don't go all the way out to Woodbridge/Lorton areas, the commute into the city would keep you away from your precious special-needs child. Btw if you don't mind me asking, what type of disability does your child have and how did it happen?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 PM

22 posts, read 72,838 times
Default 1 @ Ft. Belvoir & 1 in DC

Thanks for all the replies. We are still in deep negotiations with the company on the relocation package. They are now offering to send him up on a 90 day detail to see if he likes it --

We could probably go higher on the purchase price of the house but considering modifications for wheelchair accessibility and related costs, we are trying to be conservative.

Currently I drive about an hour each way and if its raining, that stretches to closer to 2 hours so commuting is something we are used to.

As for the poster inquiring about my child's disability, as my log in indicates, its HPE, short for Holoprosencephaly, a rare brain malformation.

Any other locations we should look at?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,729,373 times
Kingstowne and other areas of mostly townhouses would be difficult, as most are three story with the main living area on the second floor and most bedrooms on the 3rd floor. An older single family ranch might be the best bet in Springfield/Burke, though as you might guess wheelchair accessiblity will be limited. Most of the new construction is two story with basements. It is an issue that I hadn't spent much time on, but I can't even begin to imagine the diffculty in this area finding a house with wheelchair access. They redid all the sidewalks in my neighborhood to make them accessible, yet the homes have really steep stairs, and a ramp would be out of the question. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:07 PM

Oh I didn't realize that you would need to make wheelchair modifications. Scratch the townhouse idea. Although I swear I have seen some one story condos here in Oakton. I don't know how much they are though. His commute would probably be in the 45 to an hour I'm thinking but don't quote me. He wouldn't have to worry about a lot of traffic since at least part of the way he'd be going against traffic on 95 during rush hour. You'd be about 45 minutes from DC but if you wanted you could take the train since you'd be by the Vienna metro stop. Of course Oakton and Vienna are a little more expensive. I don't know I guess I really like Oakton absolutely nicest place I've lived but the commute is killing me.

I'm from GA too but Columbus, not Atlanta, so still haven't gotten used to the traffic. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:08 PM

Yeah coming from Georgia it is a little easier to find one story homes there than here. In my honest opinion there aren't that many nicer newer one story houses around here at all. So yes definitely wishing you luck in your search.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 18,942 times
Default Moving from ATL to Ft. Belvoir assignment~

Currently doing 4 hours a day back and forth to Ft. benning-UGH!
Want to live withing a 30-45 min to Belvoir (Train or Car). Stuck with House note in GA unitl I can sell. Looking for a efficiency or 1 bedroon w/covered parking. Due 2nd week in MAR. Want nice upscale area...I may want too much. HELP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia