Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 08:11 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times

Advertisements

As I'm new moving to Nova, I need to start an account with Dominion Power. After going through the online form, it said I was required to pay a $144 deposit. Is this standard for new customers, because I don't have a negative credit history. Also does anybody know how the deposit is calculated because it doesn't match the explanation on their website which says 180 if you have electric heat or AC or 90 for neither. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
As I recall (it's been a LONG time) - most if not all utilities require a deposit, especially if you've never had any in your name before.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Are you renting or will be owning? For renters some utilities are enacting a deposit. I think this is because some tenants are not paying their last months bill and sticking it to the property owners, who may or may not pay but instead turn to litigation. So the deposit is used to pay off the last month and any extra is returned. I know for a fact Prince William County Service Authority (water/sewer utility) enacted a deposit on all new rental service because I got a letter in the mail since I own a rental unit. Anyone currently having service is grandfathered in, but new service will have to pay. I think they will waive it for section 8, but it's up to the property owner.

Here is the FAQ from Dominion's site: https://www.dom.com/dominion-east-oh...-questions.jsp

Old 07-04-2012, 06:43 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Yep....until you've established a payment history with a utility, they almost always require a deposit. Ask how long they'll keep it.....when they give it back, it's usually with interest! Better than a bank!

Old 07-05-2012, 09:26 AM

79 posts, read 137,081 times
It sounds like the deposit is your landlord trying to gouge you. If you are paying for electric your self than this transaction takes place between you and Dominion.

If you can get a letter of account history from your previous utility company that states how long you were a customer and that your account closed with a 0 balance you can fax it to Dominion and you will be refunded the 180. My previous utility company gave me a hard time providing this (out of sheer laziness) but that didn't stop me from doing their job for them.

I had to draft the letter myself. Make it look really legit with a real logo and they probably wont eve check it. I actually had all valid info on my letter so even if they tried to call someone it would check out.

Work the system and you wont have to pay the $180. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia