Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 AM

77 posts, read 292,168 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My son just received Naglieri scores 121 - 90% percentile

CogAT -

verbal 115 - 78%
quantitative - 121 - 89%
non verbal 103 - 51%

did he make in GT classes ?

Why is non verbal scores are so different in two tests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,967 times
From Advanced Academic Programs

Why are the cutoffs for the 2nd grade pool different each year?
The make-up of the 2nd grade pool is determined by student performance on the two tests. It is difficult to predict how the students will do from year to year and, therefore, the benchmark or cutoff scores vary accordingly. This score is usually in the 130's.

This answer only applies to the Grades 3-8 Center Program, where kids go to schools other than the one they are zoned for. I think standards are different for in-school GT programs, but I would ask FCPS directly.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 AM

845 posts, read 2,326,867 times
I heard the parents in NYC are spending 500 Dollars on test prep for second grade gifted programs.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
From Advanced Academic Programs

Why are the cutoffs for the 2nd grade pool different each year?
The make-up of the 2nd grade pool is determined by student performance on the two tests. It is difficult to predict how the students will do from year to year and, therefore, the benchmark or cutoff scores vary accordingly. This score is usually in the 130's.

This answer only applies to the Grades 3-8 Center Program, where kids go to schools other than the one they are zoned for. I think standards are different for in-school GT programs, but I would ask FCPS directly.

Thank You Stephen81 for your reply. The like is full of great information.

My son is going to 3rd grade. does this mean that he is not eligible for Center Program for GT? I was really hoping he will get into that.. Is there a way I can apply him to get into Center Program ?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
You can apply in grades other than 2nd grade to get into the GT program. This year for second graders, the benchmark score was 130 on any one portion of the CoGat or NNat. That meant they were automatically in the pool. If a child did not receive a 130, a parent or teacher could still recommend a child to be in the pool. The selection committee then meets during March and April to choose who will be selected for the program.

It works slightly differently if your child is new to the school and wasn't there in time to take the tests. Here is the link which should give you all of the information you need:

Advanced Academic Programs

The standards are NOT different to get into a GT level 4 at a base school versus at a GT center school, although most say the GT center schools are more challenging. There are other GT levels at base schools such as level 3, which has less challenging requirements than level 4. I think the GT teacher and the homeroom teacher would make these selections.

Your son's scores are probably not high enough to get him into the level 4 program without strong advocation from the teachers or other evidence that he is advanced. Generally about 50% of those who are not in the pool initially (with a 130 score this year, for example) do get into the program, so there is always a chance. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
You can apply in grades other than 2nd grade to get into the GT program. This year for second graders, the benchmark score was 130 on any one portion of the CoGat or NNat. That meant they were automatically in the pool. If a child did not receive a 130, a parent or teacher could still recommend a child to be in the pool. The selection committee then meets during March and April to choose who will be selected for the program.

It works slightly differently if your child is new to the school and wasn't there in time to take the tests. Here is the link which should give you all of the information you need:

Advanced Academic Programs

The standards are NOT different to get into a GT level 4 at a base school versus at a GT center school, although most say the GT center schools are more challenging. There are other GT levels at base schools such as level 3, which has less challenging requirements than level 4. I think the GT teacher and the homeroom teacher would make these selections.

Your son's scores are probably not high enough to get him into the level 4 program without strong advocation from the teachers or other evidence that he is advanced. Generally about 50% of those who are not in the pool initially (with a 130 score this year, for example) do get into the program, so there is always a chance. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. my son did not score 130 and he is going to 3rd grade center based GT automatically.. but I am going to try to put him in the pool.. how do I do that ? Can I call the school teach/principle and ask them to put in the pool? or it is not a good idea ?

I have not heard from the county an official word on where he stand for Center based GT. should I wait till I get any word from county or it will be too late ?

Are these tests give only once in Elementary school? Will he be tested again when he will go to 4th grade ? Can I ask to get him tested again this year ?

Old 03-17-2010, 04:05 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
There is no downside to requesting consideration for GT placement. We did this for our son, whose score just missed the cutoff, and he was accepted. He also had a very strong teacher recommendation.
But you should consider carefully, and honestly, whether a GT placement would be in your child's best interests. His teacher can give you some feedback on that issue. The ultimate decision is out of your hands, of course, and you should be aware that, given his scores, it's probably a long shot.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
There is no downside to requesting consideration for GT placement. We did this for our son, whose score just missed the cutoff, and he was accepted. He also had a very strong teacher recommendation.
But you should consider carefully, and honestly, whether a GT placement would be in your child's best interests. His teacher can give you some feedback on that issue. The ultimate decision is out of your hands, of course, and you should be aware that, given his scores, it's probably a long shot.
Thank your for your reply. I am not sure though, if its too late for the requesting for GT placement. He started school in DEC and so I just got the score today. I still don't have the office result in the mail.

Is it OK to talk to teacher tomorrow about this? Do you talk to principle to ask if they can test CogAT again.. as its not possible for him to score only 51% on it and 90% on the other. I am sure there is is some misunderstanding in the reading/writing of score ? Is Cogat test given only once in Elementary school ?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,383 times
I suggest that you contact the Advanced Academics Resource Teacher at your child's school. That person would be able to tell you about the process, what is involved, etc.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Wow. All this time I thought my kids were selected based on just their first and second grade teachers' recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia