Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 PM

101 posts, read 219,935 times

Advertisements

What's the benefit of putting a kid into a GT program when the kid's scores don't meet the requirements?

And please, let's not say the parent's self serving bragging rights.

Keep this in mind. Fairfax County Schools, for the most part, isn't like DC or PG Schools where if you don't get into the top programs, you're less likely to succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingerr8 View Post
What's the benefit of putting a kid into a GT program when the kid's scores don't meet the requirements?.
Lake Wobegon effect.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM

845 posts, read 2,328,023 times
Swollen heads?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:05 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,454 times
This group can answer ALL your questions about GT education and GT kids in Fairfax county:
FCAG : Fairfax County Association of the Gifted

Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,924,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingerr8 View Post
What's the benefit of putting a kid into a GT program when the kid's scores don't meet the requirements?
Because test scores don't reveal everything, especially when the test-taker is 7 years old.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,891,088 times
Wow. This is actually a sad thread. I have five kids. One has always been in the gifted program. She started college in the eight grade...she is highly gifted. The other four are gifted in their own "unique" ways, but not academically.

I didn't do ANYTHING at all to "get her into a program". And I wouldn't have. Gifted kids get into the programs because they are gifted. And if they don't test well, and don't get into a program, they find a way to thrive in a regular classroom, provided they have a decent teacher and parental support and encouragement.

This is one thing that I loathe about this area of the country. I have never lived anywhere where parents push their kids like they do up here. It's the 2nd grade! Colleges won't be looking at the transcript. If your kid gets into a gifted program, great! It still doesn't mean she'll be a brain surgeon. I know lots of really dumb kids that tested into the program. And I know lots of supposedly average kids in high school who go on to Harvard or Yale.

My daughter has taken tons of those tests because we move every few years. She always scored at the top and always gotten into the gifted programs. I couldn't tell you the name of the test or the score....or even the day she took it. I don't care. The teachers that teach the gifted classes are just regular teachers. And the kids in the gifted program range from very intelligent to "how in the world do you remember to breathe", dumb.

Let it go and let your kid be a kid. Just my humble opinion. But I do have five kids....one in college, three in high school and one in elementary. I've been doing this for a long time.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 AM

77 posts, read 292,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Because test scores don't reveal everything, especially when the test-taker is 7 years old.

Yes, you are so correct. My son had 2 tests and one he scored 90% and other same test 50%.

He has been a high performing kid all since pre-school. I am sure there was a mistake in the test or something that caused two score 40% apart.

Second, When a kid is giving challenged with work, there brain learns to deal with that kind of problems. When you don't challenge kids they will be lazy and not perform well and any work they do in school or out of the school. That's what I believe.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,924,156 times
Well, the reason that the gifted assessment process is not based SOLELY on test scores is that some highly gifted students simply don't get top scores on such tests. The classroom teacher is usually in the best position to advise parents whether their child is one of those students, and his/her advice should be carefully considered. There's nothing wrong with asking for the referral, so long as the child is kept out of the loop and won't think he is a failure if he is ultimately not accepted into the program. As mm pointed out, it certainly won't be determinative of his academic and career success in the future.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:15 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post

I didn't do ANYTHING at all to "get her into a program". And I wouldn't have. Gifted kids get into the programs because they are gifted. And if they don't test well, and don't get into a program, they find a way to thrive in a regular classroom, provided they have a decent teacher and parental support and encouragement.
Great post. I'd give ya rep points if I could, but alas I have done that too recently.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:26 PM

101 posts, read 219,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
So kids in the GT programs don't get grades?

C'mon....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia