Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_monk View Post
4. @ the jefferson memorial, "...He freed the slaves!...." ..."when was he president?.." "...after sam adams"
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

4) While in the Jefferson Memorial, we overheard a guy telling his kid to "look at the statue of Lincoln."

With ignoramuses like this running around, it's no wonder we end up getting the leaders we do.

Every year I've gone down to the festival, I've seen idiots pulling branches off the trees. Common sense should tell you how selfish and disrespectful this is, but I guess common sense isn't too common. I'd love to see some cops posted around the Tidal Basin who do nothing but write out citations to people who do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
I'd love to see some cops posted around the Tidal Basin who do nothing but write out citations to people who do that.
You know what, I think I've seen that. They have a lot of cops there on horses and I think I saw one writing a ticket. I wonder if they use the citation money to plant new trees?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:05 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,585 times
Conversation overheard on the Metro on Saturday (I was going to the Nationals/Red Sox game, but got caught up in the Cherry Blossom crowd):

Tourist kid: "Mom can we move here?"

Tourist mom: "We can't, but when you grow up you can move here if you'd like"

Tourist kid: "I already decided I am. That's why I picked this shirt!" **points to I <3 DC T-shirt**

Old 04-07-2010, 03:18 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,195 times
How about a parent giving a kite to a kid during the kite festival, and said child running through crowds of people (with the string trailing behind him) to try to get the kite off the ground?

I saw more than a few people get clothes lined or tripped by people like that....come to think of it, there were a lot of idiot adult kite-fliers as well! Kites are not weapons! (Unless you're in a fighter kite competition!)

Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You know what, I think I've seen that. They have a lot of cops there on horses and I think I saw one writing a ticket. I wonder if they use the citation money to plant new trees?
I have seen that as well. In fact, a few years ago I was there with a friend and we witnessed someone making it "snow" by knocking the blossoms off the tree and filming it on video. My friend is not shy and she told them in no uncertain terms to stop it, but they didn't. On our way back from the Jefferson, they were talking to a police officer, who did not look amused.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia