Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:32 AM

34 posts, read 63,036 times

Advertisements

This area has always been fascinating to me from the old rich days, to Gary's early ruins. What do you think of Gary when it comes to your mind. Do you think it has had its Up's and Downs? Do you think it's trash, does something fascinate you? Write a message below of what your opinio is on the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 01:34 AM

34 posts, read 63,036 times
Sorry for the mistakes and spelling issues in the paragraph. It's that autocorrect thing that changes all my words!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 AM

2,506 posts, read 3,382,046 times
It has the best location of any city in the country.....which, considering real estate's rule of location, location, location....means it's pretty well-positioned.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:27 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,393,092 times
As stated its good geographical location off the lake that is the gateway to the upper east and west next to a bigger metro area. First, I think of uncontrolled early 1900's industrial power and the pollution that came along. I think of the influx of people that came in for the good jobs almost as in a gold rush. I think of the once lively downtown. I think of great business opportunities that came along and quickly created that american dream for many. Then eventually, I think of the racial divide and white flight. The beginning of loss of jobs and the urban decay that followed. I think of very high crime, empty buildings and corruption. I think of the ones that got left behind at a loss. I think of the dream of "coming back" and promises that don't materialize. Now I see more empty homes being demolished and city blocks razed and allowed to go back to the natural state of the region.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 14,891 times
Was a good place then, but know it's just a loosely wound town of gangs, Crack houses, and abandoned buildings. If you go near the old downtown, it's a real ghost town, and I'm not exaggerating because it's empty.
bad idea.

Very very bad idea.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
Default Three cheers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
As stated its good geographical location off the lake that is the gateway to the upper east and west next to a bigger metro area. First, I think of uncontrolled early 1900's industrial power and the pollution that came along. I think of the influx of people that came in for the good jobs almost as in a gold rush. I think of the once lively downtown. I think of great business opportunities that came along and quickly created that american dream for many. Then eventually, I think of the racial divide and white flight. The beginning of loss of jobs and the urban decay that followed. I think of very high crime, empty buildings and corruption. I think of the ones that got left behind at a loss. I think of the dream of "coming back" and promises that don't materialize. Now I see more empty homes being demolished and city blocks razed and allowed to go back to the natural state of the region.
Excellent synopsis! Volumes spoken in truth, while identifying key points and considerations. You must have went to school w/o sleeping in class. You should be proud, pilgrim!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,393,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datastooge View Post
Excellent synopsis! Volumes spoken in truth, while identifying key points and considerations. You must have went to school w/o sleeping in class. You should be proud, pilgrim!
Thanks LOL. I actually was a good student

Old 02-14-2015, 12:16 PM

498 posts, read 978,339 times
I think Gary's most important function these days is to serve as a marker indicating that I'm around half an hour away from home when I'm coming back to Chicago.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:31 PM

8 posts, read 11,301 times
When I think of Gary, I am quickly saddened by the decaying, mutilated, and disfigured corpse that was once the crown jewel of the Calumet Region. The city is left in this state of decay as politicians, gangs, and corruption that squeeze what little life sustaining fluid resides in the corpse of what was once a great City.

Gary is a classic example of greed, corruptions, and lack of ethics amongst corporations, politicians, and union labor. Lets not forget that this city is also a classic example of racism in the 1950's and then reverse racism in the 1970's.

I always loved Gary, I love the architecture, worked with and knew some great people who lived, played, hoped, and died with the thought that this once great giant would be resurrected. However, after four decades of hoping for this resurrection I think it is all but a dream.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:55 PM

39 posts, read 66,123 times
Default Gary Indiana Gary Indiana

I think of Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana - my home sweet home. If you like to have a logical explanation etc. (Music Man 1962).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
View detailed profiles of: