Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:10 PM

322 posts, read 288,274 times

Advertisements

That just seems wrong to me. But ok.
I really feel this should have at least been disclosed to the tenants.
I was way off believing it must be cleaned up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 05:34 PM

435 posts, read 434,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
The report claims 65% Chrysotile on pipe insulation and 50% chrysotile on pipe fitting insulation.
" (The testing company) observed that the pipe insulation and pipe fitting insulation was damaged in several areas. Therefore, it is recommended a licensed asbestos abatement contractor either fix the damaged areas or remove the insulation."
Not good.

I noticed the gas dryer hose came off and hot air/lint blowing up onto the pipes. The hanging browned tape was just blowing in the wind. I put the hose back into dryer and duct taped. But all that gunk on the pipes looks bad. Asked several people what that covering is: asbestos.

Me and two other tenants wash and dry clothing here in this area, but there are pipes in other locations. This one area, the covering is torn, stained and hanging off pipe.
I am really regretting moving in here.

Landlord is unaware of this test. For I called and ordered it. And paid too.
Fire inspect was called before the test on a few other items but gives landlord 30 days before setting a date for inspection.
I was just upset I have no hot water pressure and called the Town for help.
They claim an inspection of property was done in 2013?
Now what do I do? I told one tenant and she is not pleased.
I would tell your landlord. If he doesn't agree to fix it asap then contact a lawyer who deals with asbestos lawsuits. A lawyer will know right away what your recourse should be.

Hopefully the landlord will just take care of it. He/she may have no idea this is even an issue.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM

17,972 posts, read 14,940,269 times
Quote:
That just seems wrong to me. But ok.
I really feel this should have at least been disclosed to the tenants.
I was way off believing it must be cleaned up.
Disclose what? Something they didn't know about?

Old 09-05-2018, 08:23 AM

He (they) purchased the building in 2006.
The laundry room is in the most deteriorated spot.
I guess he could pull off the didn't know, but the plumbers cutting into it must have had an inkling.
If a person takes on the task of renting their property and collecting money for that rent, I feel that should be sure to make the dwelling safe to humans.
That's all I desire. Hot water in tub, exterior lighting, air free of harmful things.
I was here two days and noticed the most deteriorated area immediately. I googled, what is white wrap on water pipes in 1941 home.
I don't feel he is the innocent. Just because he claims not to know. Isn't it his responsibility to check after tenants move? Appliances, water, windows, etc???? He gets to play stupid landlord ??
Eta: they own many, many properties. Over 30

Old 09-05-2018, 08:49 PM

17,972 posts, read 14,940,269 times
Quote:
I guess he could pull off the didn't know, but the plumbers cutting into it must have had an inkling.
If a person takes on the task of renting their property and collecting money for that rent, I feel that should be sure to make the dwelling safe to humans.
That's all I desire. Hot water in tub, exterior lighting, air free of harmful things.
I was here two days and noticed the most deteriorated area immediately. I googled, what is white wrap on water pipes in 1941 home.
I don't feel he is the innocent. Just because he claims not to know. Isn't it his responsibility to check after tenants move? Appliances, water, windows, etc???? He gets to play stupid landlord ??
Sigh.

Just move then.

If you want to have complete control, you really need to own not rent.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:39 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,786,799 times
Quote:

So, you did a tour before signing the lease, correct? Didn't you see the laundry room and pipes then? I wouldn't rent (or buy a place) without doing a tour. If you didn't like how the laundry room looked I would think that you would have considered the fact that the owner doesn't maintain the building well and in that case find another apartment to lease? I'm not defending the landlord (I think it's terrible), but you must have see all of this while touring the building.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:08 PM

Yes, I viewed. When we walked to the basement he pointed out the washer and dryer, and another room for storage purposes.
I did not notice the pipes overhead.
I noticed spider webs, the dampness on floor from a/c condensation, and the old stairs that could use some tlc.

Last edited by SunnySam16; 09-06-2018 at 08:28 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Sigh.

Just move then.

If you want to have complete control, you really need to own not rent.
Your comment makes no sense to me. Control? Huh?
The amount of chrysotile in that basement, 180 linear feet, and the damaged areas in the laundry room should be taken care of by those renting the apartments. Its the right thing to do. Like heat, water. Etc.
And the state of Indiana should bear some responsibility as well. I understand many of the government's buildings and court rooms are asbestos free. Homes that irresponsible people rent to innocent people? No.
I understand the oh my god clean up is for the employees that stay 6-8 hours 5 days a week. Great for them.

What about three families that live in a HOME with dangerous levels of damaged asbestos perhaps being home breathing, cleaning, etc for many hours? Unaware?
Many people I have talked to about this have no clue there is NOTHING that can get the owners to clean it up.
Hoping, now they will.
I just worry about that little 3 year old that played down there until I ordered the test. He doesn't go to play now. It is not safe.
No tenant knew. So happy I did this!

I am not an asbestos expert.

I am not sure why I even googled the wrapping.

Glad I did. Over freaking joyed. Me and my ole controlling self. Yay

Have a great day!

Old 09-06-2018, 10:13 PM

435 posts, read 434,808 times
Quote:
Your comment makes no sense to me. Control? Huh?
The amount of chrysotile in that basement, 180 linear feet, and the damaged areas in the laundry room should be taken care of by those renting the apartments. Its the right thing to do. Like heat, water. Etc.
And the state of Indiana should bear some responsibility as well. I understand many of the government's buildings and court rooms are asbestos free. Homes that irresponsible people rent to innocent people? No.
I understand the oh my god clean up is for the employees that stay 6-8 hours 5 days a week. Great for them.

What about three families that live in a HOME with dangerous levels of damaged asbestos perhaps being home breathing, cleaning, etc for many hours? Unaware?
Many people I have talked to about this have no clue there is NOTHING that can get the owners to clean it up.
Hoping, now they will.
I just worry about that little 3 year old that played down there until I ordered the test. He doesn't go to play now. It is not safe.
No tenant knew. So happy I did this!

I am not an asbestos expert.

I am not sure why I even googled the wrapping.

Glad I did. Over freaking joyed. Me and my ole controlling self. Yay

Have a great day!
It is really good to be on the lookout for things that are harmful to human health. Sadly not enough people are educated about this. You did the right thing to educate yourself and now your landlord should take care of it properly. That means hiring experts to REMOVE it b/c it is toxic when it gets moved around. If it is not getting moved or broken then it typically is not a problem.

On a side note I hope that these 30 rentals are all being treated as rentals for taxation purposes. He should be paying the higher 2% of assessed value vs. the 1% homeowner's pay. I don't know the address or the owner's name but you can look it up on the county Assessor's website. Also if he is not mowing the lawn on a regular basis Munster has code enforcement that will take care of that.

Overall our laws regarding environmental toxins are pretty inadequate if you ask me. There is major concern right now b/c water in Hammond schools tested positive for higher lead levels. Of course Indiana doesn't even REQUIRE that the water be tested. When you live in an area that was developed decades and decades ago, common-sense should prevail and testing should be mandatory.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:48 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,433,387 times
Quote:
And the state of Indiana should bear some responsibility as well. I understand many of the government's buildings and court rooms are asbestos free.
Do you realize that similar circumstances and laws exist in most states? The state bears no responsibility.

BTW--for future reference, the current Federal administration thinks asbestos is a "mob conspiracy" and is likely to eliminate federal rules regarding asbestos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana