Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 06:00 PM

59 posts, read 54,061 times

Advertisements

The fact is that, many of my homeroom mates aim to the CC, no matter it is KCC or HCC.
And the top students want to go mainland.
So, is UH really not worth studying at? Is CC better? (after 2-year CC study, guarantte the entry of University)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 06:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Going to KCC will certainly be a cheaper option if you can graduate in 2 years at UH. I suspect that is a challenge with most majors other than the basic ones like liberal arts. I suspect some pre-requisites you need for classes at UH are challenged by KCC transfers.

If you afford it, UH will have more curriculum to choose from - and I suspect motivated students can fast-track getting out in 4 years.

As far as top students wanting to go on the mainland - well, top students often get financial aid/scholarships and if you grew up on a tiny island, many parents encourage their children to get a degree on the mainland to broaden their life experiences. Certain majors are going to have better offerings on the mainland. Some after graduating know they want to stay on the mainland, and getting a specialized degree on the mainland can help with job prospects. If I'm a top student, do I go to UH or Stanford, I think we know the answer for most.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:17 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,802 times
Liked mentioned before. Some parents like there childreun to go to Mainland colleges to gain experience in life. But they have to be top students. A lot of people do go to KCC to start out and than to UH for the final two years. It really depends on what you are insterested in studying?

Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 PM
hln

14 posts, read 29,760 times
CC can be a good option because classes are smaller, and professors are more focused on teaching rather than research. Students at UHM are much stronger than the average at CCs. Classes will usually be taught at a higher level and be more challenging. At Manoa, you can be involved in research and more extracurricular activities.

Manoa has many very strong students. There are many merit scholarships available for top students.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:04 AM

59 posts, read 54,061 times
I see UH Professor sucks, and charging us many extra fees

Old 10-08-2015, 08:57 PM

19 posts, read 21,736 times
In general, if you want to get a bachelor degree, then stick with the university from the begining. Most kids transfer from CC to university have a hard time catching up. Also, not all credits from CC are transferable or accepted by the university department.
Good luck!

Old 11-14-2015, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 831 times
In many states students have had to choose between starting college at a community college or at a big state university. Living on Oahu during the 70s, my husband chose the cc avenue and then transferred to Manoa Campus. Leeward CC was an excellent choice for him: it was much cheaper than Manoa, the teachers were super nice and very smart, it was closer to our house. One important fact was that he made very sure that each course he took was transferable to Manoa and would fill requirements in his major. He had no problems when he transferred.

At that time there was talk of moving all freshman and sophomore courses to the community colleges because Manoa was so crowded. Obviously that has not happened, so something must have been figured out.

Switch to the first decade in the 21 Century. In South Carolina my son found himself doing the same thing. Since he had to pay for his own education, he chose the local technical college which has a strong program for students who want to transfer to a 4-year school. Again, he found no problems as he transferred and all of his courses counted. In fact, he found much to his surprise that the teachers at the tech school were much better teachers than those at the university. I didn't say they knew more, but they were better teachers because many of them had been trained as high school teachers who have been taught how to teach. There is no such preparation for college teachers. They just do the best they can or the way they remember their own schooling.

Each student should think about the way he likes school. Smaller classes, personally caring teachers, lower fees = cc. Some gigantic classes, many professors who just lecture, higher fees = university. If money is no problem, and the person is an excellent student who loves theory and lectures, then U of H is the answer. Or go to a mainland school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu