Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 02:38 PM

82 posts, read 366,215 times

Advertisements

Hi, a few months ago, I posted a thread about my fear of moving here, mostly due to issues of being a mainlander. Moved to Waikiki in November in temp housing, now live in Kapolei. Though some things are puzzling(backing in to parking spaces, 1-2 car lengths between cars at stoplights therefore blocking the intersection behind)living here has been wonderful, for me and my family. My haole kids love school, we have found people to be very kind and accepting, and I feel stupid for even being concerned. I agree with what has been said often on this board, that you get what you give. So my apologies for my annoying issues I posted a while back.

Anyway, we are renting a home in Kapolei that actually has a very large yard. Unfortunately, it was forclosed on, and empty for about 1 1/2 years. The yard is full of these tall feathery weeds, somekind of creeping viney things, and about 10 different grasses(i think they are grasses anyway.) We have been raking up the dead dry stuff, pulling weeds, watering a bit, and would like to get some actual grass growing. We don't want to put weed killer on due to our kids, and our dog arriving soon. We thought it would be best to over seed, but are not sure what type of grass would be best to use. Or am I way off base thinking that I can make something grow that is full of weeds, or from seed? Since we are renting we really don't want to go to the expense of sod, and don't want to burden the home-owners with the expense(they are not career landlords, they bought the home with the intent on living here, but decided to keep living with his elderly mother).

Also, how can I get the iron stains off concrete? Is it best to grow tomatoes, peppers, in containers or the ground?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,601,431 times
Well, there is a certain type of grass you could grow back there that probably would offest your rent quite a bit, do you have a fenced yard????? Nosey neighbors????? JOKE!!!!! I'v got Saint Augustine grass in front of my place here on Maui, stuff is really sturdy, doesn't require much of anything, and holds up really well to the sunlight. The real problem in Kapolei is that it's all built on sugar cane fields, the soil has been so emptied of any nutrients over the decades that hardly anything will grow out there without some sort of fertilizer. Best of luck, my personnal favorite is Dicondra, don't know how well it would do out there, but it looks great!!!!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-24-2008, 09:38 PM

850 posts, read 4,373,986 times
we had to amend the soil before planting "plugs" of el toro (spelling). most of the zoysia varieties grow well out there and so does seashore paspallum (spelling). you can find those in trays at either home depot or lowe's home improvement centers. sod will put a deep hole in your pocket. st. augustine is nice. we have it here in kailua. for us, it does really well in the shade and so so in direct sunlight. even if you do not want to burden the landlords, you should still tell them of your plans. that's a big alteration. also, if the property is being foreclosed on, will you still be there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: