Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,193 times

Advertisements

Me and a friend will be hiking the Muliwai trail up into the Waimanu Valley later on this week. If we park at the Waipio valley parking lot overnight will the car be safe from break-ins etc. during the night? As a side note has anyone hiked the muliwai trail and want to share the experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 AM

74 posts, read 333,803 times
It's not advisable to park at the overlook parking lot overnight, though some people leave their cars on the side of the road outside the lot, at their own risk. Most people who are camping in Waimanu park at Waipio Artworks in Kukuihaele for about $5/day. It's about a 15-min. walk to the lookout.

Get an early start if you intend to make Waimanu Valley in 1 day. It's 9 miles and a 1200' elevation gain from Waipio Valley going into Waimanu, and the climb can get very hot. You also need to cross Waipio Stream, so bring reef shoes or something to protect your feet from the rocks unless you don't mind wet boots.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,146 times
In my experience, it is never "safe" to leave your car -- especially a rental -- parked with anything in it. Even if there is nothing left inside you'll risk a break-in, sadly. The bar code on the window makes any rental vehicle vulnerable. Local vehicles do not fare much better, mind you, as desperation tends to drive this kind of pernicious, annoying crime.

You can leave a note that says there's nothing in the vehicle, but you would be assuming that the potential perp could read, would read, and wouldn't just break in to prove a point (or "test" you). This is one of the most embarrassing things that locals have to explain to visitors. I long for an earlier day when even locking the car was unnecessary.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 AM

65 posts, read 289,152 times
Has anyone heard of a hostel near the lookout? Maybe they would let you park your car there.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:54 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,192 times
i did the muliwai trail last month. you are not allowed to park at the overlook, there is someone there everyday and they will tow your car. waipio valley artworks charges $15 a day for parking there over night. that's what we did and as expensive as it was, our car was safe and sound.
i would suggest parking there and hitching as far as you can into waipio, you'll be happy you did once you are on that z trail.
the only real advice i would have is don't under estimate bringing bug spray.
other than that, it's amazing. you will love it. the 2 Z trails are the only parts that are tiring/hard at all. i assume you've done research if you're hiking it at all so i won't go into where to get water and stuff but if you have any questions i might be able to help you with just let me know!
haylan

Old 06-21-2009, 03:54 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,193 times
the car we're going to park isn't a rental, just to clear that up. we're still planning the trip out, but my friend who was going to come with me injured his foot, so i might have to wait a little while before i have someone to go with me. i've been up to the waipio valley before and seen the Z trail, looks pretty tough, but ive hiked plenty like that before, dont think it should be too bad. I'll let everyone know when we do it and how it was!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 AM

65 posts, read 289,152 times
wikiwikirunner, I asked around and there is a private hostel near the lookout. Send me a direct message and I will get you the proprietor's name and number. You can ask about car storage during your adventure.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:33 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
The bus system is really good in Oahu...it took me everywhere I wanted to go.

Why not just use that to the trailhead? Or is the trailhead that far off the bus routes?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The bus system is really good in Oahu...it took me everywhere I wanted to go.

Why not just use that to the trailhead? Or is the trailhead that far off the bus routes?
The Waipio Valley isn't on Oahu, is it? I know there's a Waipio Valley on the Big Island, I've been there, but I also know there is much duplication of names in the various islands.

Bob

Old 07-02-2009, 02:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
Wrong Island Tiger but nice effort!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: