Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 09:25 AM

109 posts, read 410,209 times

Advertisements

Well it's official.....orders say ...."No later than June 30th" Yippy! Both dogs have passed their rabies blood test and on the official list for entry into Hawaii after June 24th.

Anyone out there with a recent military move? How far out did the movers come? How long does it take to get your stuff? And the most important question....what is the wait list like for housing at Hickam?

Here we come.... ready or not!

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-13-2010 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: fixed it fer ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times
Hickam and Pearl recently became a joint base and are combining activites. Hopefully this transition doesn't hinder you but expand your housing opportunities. What was Navy Ford Island has some new housing in a real nice setting. So keep your options open and consider if given the opportunity.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:24 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,574 times
I can tell you're excited; welcome.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:19 AM

Yes, we are very excited....now the planning begins. Got the dogs figured out. Flew around on Google Earth yesterday looking at neighborhoods. Blew the computer screen up on the TV and that was really neat.

Military housing office said the wait list in June could be anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. With the dogs I really need to move in right away. Don't know if military housing is going to work.

The housing office said to look in Forest City. Does anyone know anything about this area. I've done the usual....looking and posting on Craigslist....checking the ahrn.com daily. I've tried to find property management companies....most however deal with condos and townhouses. Can't find a company with very much inventory. Don't want to buy...got burnt in Florida with the market. I'll just keep renting while serving. If anyone knows of anything coming available in June...up to $3400 keep me in mind.
Mahalo

P.S. Sorry about the OPing cant get rid of the [size] mess.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:18 PM

92 posts, read 404,791 times
Forest City isn't an area, it's the private company that manages Navy housing. Their website is Forest City OMC Navy | Homepage You can search housing by your rank. If you have 2 or more children and are junior enlisted, you will "qualify" for a 3 or 4 bedroom, usually a duplex. If you're senior enlisted or an officer and married, you will "qualify" for a 3 bedroom, usually a single family home. The housing for sr. enlisted and officers are really, really nice!

It's hard to tell what houses are going to pop up in however many months. Sometimes you see nice, renovated homes on Craigslist, sometimes you see units that look like they haven't been touched since the 70's. If you want nice, newer suburban homes that look and function like mainland homes***, then Ewa Beach or Mililani Mauka are the places you want to look. The downside to living in these areas is traffic! We live in Mililani Mauka, but my husband leaves for work before morning rush hour, and comes home before afternoon rush hour.

***What I mean by this is single family homes that have central air or split air, enclosed garages, double pane windows - typical cookie cutter mainland-style home. There are lots of older homes here that aren't even insulated, have jalousie/slated windows, etc.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,143 times
Sorry to piggy-back on the OP but I am also moving to Hickam in June. I too have heard the traffic is horrible if you live off-base. I have never lived on base but we are leaning that way for this assignment. I was told the schools on-base are the better schools in the area. I was given the same time frame when I asked about the wait list for housing (6 months to one year for a 4 bdr, or 1 month for a 3 bdr). I guess the Onizuka Housing is getting finished around the June time frame. At least that is what I am told. Anyone there have more insight on that? If given a choice, what housing area would be better? I am an O-3 so I know that limits the housing available.

I also have pets and have started the quarantine process. Blood work was good to go and now we are just waiting.

DuvalGatorGirl - Small world...I am from Duval, went to UF, and am heading that direction. GO GATORS!!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:03 PM

Scharfpa- Welcome to the boards and congrads on your assignment to paradise! Have you checked online Animal Quarantine Microchip Search — Hawaii Department of Agriculture to see if your pets are logged in the computer system in Hawaii?
After all the hard work and vet visits...it was sure nice to see their numbers listed online!

My husband is an O-6 and he's going to run the dental clinic at Hickam. We will sign up thirty days prior to our arrival ( that's what we have been told to do), but I'm still not sure about waiting for a house. I don't mind having an older home, but I don't feel like waiting months. It will be stressful enough for the pups without staying in temp lodging that long.

Have you called temp lodging for reservations at Hickam? I was suprised they took a reservation without a copy of our orders...(still in the works, we only have verbal).

When are you shipping your car?

Can anyone tell me if in Upper Makakilo I will need AC in the house? Elev. 1000ft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu