Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 PM

6 posts, read 22,848 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Ocala and want to know about Fairfield Village and/ Sweetwater Oaks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:10 PM

Anyone living in Marion County? Let me know a liitle bit about the area?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Smile Thinking about relocating from WPB to Ocala over 55

Does anyone have any info regarding modular homes in a 55 and over community other than the Villages? We're looking for a nice community, safe area, close to Heart Hospital, Walmart, etc. in Ocala area.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 PM

529 posts, read 1,173,585 times
Good evening, Elle. So...you want some info. You asked about Fairfield Village. Location-wise, it is extremely convenient to the things you are looking for and actually a better location than Sweetwater Oaks, although FFV has a more varied mix of older and newer homes. SWO backs up to I-75 and has a lot of industrial businesses around. While I can't give you specifics about either, I can tell you that based on what I have seen, fences are not allowed. Not a big deal, I suppose, unless you like to enjoy your yard in private or perhaps let a dog out. The lots are small, so be sure to ask your nosy neighbor how they like their steaks grilled. ;-) You do not own the lot in either community, and many mobile home parks are like that. Florida is quite sympathetic to the Park owners and because you don't own the land, your home is treated as a vehicle, with registration stickers. Quite a sweet deal as far as taxes are concerned, because you don't pay property tax on the "home", but you have to abide by what is called a "Prospectus". Think non-negotiable HOA. Wherever you wind up, make sure you read EVERY word and paragraph in the Prospectus and the rules and regulations. For example, in some parks, such as Serenity Oaks/Harmony of Ocala, YOU are responsible for trimming the trees, maintaining and pumping out your septic system, the water lines, and the electrical service box. They are not responsible if a tree falls and destroys your home. Don't believe me? If it is in the Prospectus, filed with the state, it is so. A gentleman in FFV had a tree fall that destroyed his home and damaged a neighbor's home. He had sent a letter to the Park a few weeks prior informing them that the tree was an imminent danger. I am waiting to see how that shakes out. Also consider that after a certain age, these homes can be extremely expensive to insure relative to the value of the home, if, indeed, coverage is available. Other things Parks can regulate include how many guests you may have and the cumulative days of visitation monthly or annually before they must be added to your lease. ( Sure, you own your home, but you LEASE the land ) You may not be allowed to have small children stay with you over the summer. You may not be able to rent out your home. Check out who and how your utilities are delivered. Some communities "resell" to their captive audience. Etc, Etc, Etc.

I do understand the appeal of Modular/Mobile homes, especially at the price point, in a 55 and over community, but make no mistake. They are a depreciating commodity, and in the end.......you own nothing. Just try pricing the cost of moving one of these "Modular" Homes, should you decide that you need to get the heck outa Dodge. Most owners are reduced to cutting their losses.

I would suggest you look at Marion Landing. There is a mix of homes there at almost every price point, also very convenient, lots of activities, a clubhouse, pool, and I think the monthly HOA fee is around $112. a month that includes trash pickup, water, and sewage. That might be a good fit for what you are looking for. AND I believe you own your lot.

Last edited by Dax13; 07-27-2013 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Property tax, not insurance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala