Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 AM

10 posts, read 14,069 times

Advertisements

I plan to move from Colorado Springs to Florida this summer. Ocala seems like it would maybe fit the bill. The only reservation I have is that you have to drive an hour to get to the beach. The whole reason to move to Florida, right?

I am moving with my daughter who would be in middle school. I am also considering attending CFCC. I do not need to find a job right away. I have a monthly stipend that will carry me through the next couple of years so I can live anywhere really but it isn't a huge amount of money so affordability is a concern. That is why Ocala might be ideal or I may consider Daytona/New Smyrna Beach area.

My questions are: Can anyone tell me names of apartments that are in good safe locations near a good middle school and, in the future, high school within a budget of about 650-700 +utilities? Is Ocala a good place to live in Florida or would it be better to live on the coast? What about Belleview..is that a good place or is living in Ocala better or any of the little towns going toward Orlando? Would you live in Ocala if you could choose anyhere in Florida (that has a low cost of living of course.) I can't afford a Miami Beach condo

I have a million questions, of course, but this should be a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,899,677 times
The two best middle schools in Ocala are Howard and Osceola. Howard is an extremley diverse middle school on the North West side of town It offers the IB program winch if your child gets accepted would be a huge plus. The negtive part about Howard would be that it would be almost impossible to find a home fiting your criteria. I assume though that no matter where you live in Marion county your child can attend the IB program though.Osceola middle school is in the heart of downtown Ocala but is not very diverse at all. In your price range i would look at the apartments around the paddock mall. If you do not mind a house look into Marion oaks. Specific apartments would be Green Gables,Paddock place, Tuscany Place, Cypresside townhomes, laurel Park, Blitchton station and Steeplechase. If i were you id just stick to Ocala the coast can be pricey belleview is a smaller town that you will find yourself going to Ocala or the villages for just about everything.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 PM

9 posts, read 18,537 times
Default cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnicer View Post
I plan to move from Colorado Springs to Florida this summer. Ocala seems like it would maybe fit the bill. The only reservation I have is that you have to drive an hour to get to the beach. The whole reason to move to Florida, right?

I am moving with my daughter who would be in middle school. I am also considering attending CFCC. I do not need to find a job right away. I have a monthly stipend that will carry me through the next couple of years so I can live anywhere really but it isn't a huge amount of money so affordability is a concern. That is why Ocala might be ideal or I may consider Daytona/New Smyrna Beach area.

My questions are: Can anyone tell me names of apartments that are in good safe locations near a good middle school and, in the future, high school within a budget of about 650-700 +utilities? Is Ocala a good place to live in Florida or would it be better to live on the coast? What about Belleview..is that a good place or is living in Ocala better or any of the little towns going toward Orlando? Would you live in Ocala if you could choose anyhere in Florida (that has a low cost of living of course.) I can't afford a Miami Beach condo

I have a million questions, of course, but this should be a start.
There is no such thing in Florida anymore as a "low cost of living".. It is just like anywhere else in America except no snow & no state tax (yet)..

Ocala is an older folks area lot of retirement people there & of course snowbirds.. LOL on your rental budget utilities in some areas of Florida tend to be expensive depending on the company that supplies your electric & cable & don't even get me started on the apartments here..

You should also keep in mind that the state of Florida is a very big state which most people don't realize & driving can be expensive (toll roads) & time consuming.. Ocala to Orlando about one hour + ..

A word to the wise try to avoid Ocala Electric for your electric utility if you can I could write a book on them..

Here's a link to the Ocala Star Banner the local paper www.ocala.com

Try this website for general cost of living overview on different areas in Florida Good Luck

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,144,152 times
Tallahassee is much nicer than Slowcala.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 AM

9 posts, read 18,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Tallahassee is much nicer than Slowcala.

I agree but apartment rents maybe outside of her budget..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala