Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2022, 06:15 PM

13 posts, read 19,713 times

Advertisements

I’m looking for some updated info regarding Ocala Preserve. Is it not truly a 55+ community? Also is reliable high speed internet a problem there? Any information would be really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 06:54 PM

6,472 posts, read 10,341,133 times
While I have never visited there, here is their current internet site: https://www.sheahomes.com/new-homes/...cala-preserve/

Truly high-speed internet is rare in many parts of Ocala. It depends on who provides the service.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:31 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,401,655 times
It specifies on their website that they are "partial 55+." I don't know what they mean by that. Either it's a 55+ community or it isn't. The term 55+ community has an actual definition. In a nutshell, it means:

At least 80% of all homes must have at least 1 person living in it aged 55 or older.

That means - the community can require 100% of the homes to have at least 1 person 55 or older. It also means that 20% of the homes can have families in them, including kids. In fact, it could allow kids in 100% of the homes - as long as ONE person living in each of the first 80% of them is over 55. It also means that the community is not obligated to allow children or anyone under 55 living in any of their homes.

The point of the 55+ designation is to protect older people, who have often been discriminated against in housing. It is a measure to prevent homelessness among the elderly.

So your community either complies with this, or it doesn't. There's no such thing as a "partial" 55+ community.

As for high speed internet, it depends on what you consider to be high speed. A DSL company's idea of "high-speed" is very very different from a cable company's idea.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:16 AM

13 posts, read 19,713 times
The partial +55 is one of the things I was curious about. I have nothing against families with kids but at this stage in my life would prefer a more adult and quiet community particularly when it comes to use of amenities like the pool and fitness room.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:53 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce_Vita View Post
The partial +55 is one of the things I was curious about. I have nothing against families with kids but at this stage in my life would prefer a more adult and quiet community particularly when it comes to use of amenities like the pool and fitness room.
My community is designated 55+ but seems to not be enforced strictly. It is also a "community with gates" as opposed to a "gated community." The gates are more for traffic control rather than security. It does provide a psychological security measure - many criminals would rather not have to go through the effort of pushing the red button, while their image and vehicle is being captured on camera, just to pass through to steal the potted plant off Mrs. Smith's lanai.

We have "family pools" so that visiting grandkids can enjoy themselves. The adult pools are 30+ only - that way even adult children living with their parents with no little kids in the house are restricted. Knowing that you have to drive a mile to the nearest family pool and swim with a bunch of toddlers and young teens, just because you're 25 years old and not allowed to swim with ONLY adults... is a good way to minimize the number of 25-year-olds living with their 55+ year old parents here. Still happens, but it's minimal.

You won't find kids in the rec centers unaccompanied by their parents/grandparents.

So while my community is a 55+ community, it does have a few kids living here full time, but mostly they are just visitors during school vacations. And - in a community that has over 130,000 residents, "a few kids" is only a big deal if they live next door to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala