Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 PM

48 posts, read 112,388 times

Advertisements

I strongly oppose SB 5 but would like to start a thread with rationale, well thought out discussions of this law's various points that is open to both opponents and proponents. I too can rant when provoked but am hoping this thread will mostly avoid those types of posts. I am concerned that too many citizens listen to sound bites and slogans only without really understanding or exploring the full implications of the law. For example, one provision of the law would supposedly allow the voters the final say on whether or not a local union would receive a pay raise. When I watched Tim Grendell explain the almost impossible sequence of events that would have to occur before any such referendum could be placed before the voters I realized that something that on the surface may sound reasonable to many people in fact was not so reasonable. It bothers me a great deal that there is so class hatred in this country and so little civil discussion and reasonable examination of the facts. If this law is not struck down through referendum, I'd at least like to hope that those who support it truly know what they are voting for. Just as disclosure, I have worked in both the public and private sectors within the same profession. If there are any attorneys out there, I am also wondering about the legal challenges that this law may face apart from the referendum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
I'm going to jump in to monitor what type of response you get. Myself, I will be busy with the referendum. I am 58, "retired", a former union carpenter (Local 1365), UAW and union Sheet Metal worker. Never crosssed a picket line, even when it cost me a job.

Other than that, I have no dog in the fight. I don't like how the bill was introduced and pushed through without real "due process". It is too bad, state and federal legislators don't work like city councils with the multiple "reading" of the bills before they vote on them.

I do think a bill of this importance should be voted on by the public.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 AM

48 posts, read 112,388 times
I have to agree about the manner in which this bill was pushed through. I have issues with the fact that two committees were manipulated by having key members removed and replaced. If this had not happened, the bill would have died. This speaks volumes about the lengths certain politicians will go to to push their agenda. I hope that SB 5 proponents realize that, even if they agree with the outcome of this bill, they are not dealing with ethical people.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 AM

as i watched that happen, i was asking myself if this is America or Russia in the late 1950's. It would be like going to court and having a jury listen to the evidence and then have the judge replace part of the jury just before they begin deliberations. what did the new "jurors" base their vote on, the evidence, the committee testimony or the orders they were given from their dictator or what Koch Brothers told them to do? A really sad day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye3 View Post
I have to agree about the manner in which this bill was pushed through. I have issues with the fact that two committees were manipulated by having key members removed and replaced. If this had not happened, the bill would have died. This speaks volumes about the lengths certain politicians will go to to push their agenda. I hope that SB 5 proponents realize that, even if they agree with the outcome of this bill, they are not dealing with ethical people.
I hope the proponents realize at some point that the plan is to go after private unions next and that unions are one of the few things that have slowed the decay of middle class wages. That this is really about the middle class fighting over the scraps and crumbs that the uber wealthy dropped from their table. The middle class is infighting as the wealthy elite laugh all the way to the US Treasury.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:12 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
as i watched that happen, i was asking myself if this is America or Russia in the late 1950's. It would be like going to court and having a jury listen to the evidence and then have the judge replace part of the jury just before they begin deliberations. what did the new "jurors" base their vote on, the evidence, the committee testimony or the orders they were given from their dictator or what Koch Brothers told them to do? A really sad day...
kinda reminds me how the Obamacare was rushed to get passed and I remember Pelosi's comment 'you are gonna have to pass it to see what's in it'.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 AM

145 posts, read 193,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I hope the proponents realize at some point that the plan is to go after private unions next
What private unions?.......

Old 04-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxedtodeath View Post
What private unions?.......
probably every one of them, they are already talking about SB5 being a good foundation for making Ohio a right to work state. http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/editorials/stories/2011/02/22/right-to-work-law-would-be-good-for-ohios-economy.html?sid=101 (http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/editorials/stories/2011/02/22/right-to-work-law-would-be-good-for-ohios-economy.html?sid=101 - broken link)

Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM

145 posts, read 193,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye3 View Post
For example, one provision of the law would supposedly allow the voters the final say on whether or not a local union would receive a pay raise.
Moot point. Nobody (private or public) is going to get a real raise for a while. The current economy is still unsustainable. Take away public spending and debt creation and the economy and tax receipts will fall like a rock in a vacuum.

Real wages are going down, taxes are going up.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:27 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Sorry, I'm all for SB5. But that's just me, so don't shoot me for it.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Having worked in education back in the 70s, before the time of collective bargaining agreements, and having seen colleagues dismissed with the only apparent reason being that they disagreed with the administration, I believe SB5 is going about it the wrong way. I'll admit that things have changed, but the perception of many people is that things have changed much more than they have. I don't see any reason to throw out the baby with the bath water. Work for revisions, don't scrap the whole thing. If this is about balancing budgets, why is the one thing that was left in as a topic eligible for bargaining ... wages. I thought those were what was causing the whole problem in the first place.

To the people who say that unions are no longer needed because there are laws to protect the workers against questionable management, there is currently a law that provides for public employees to negotiate with management about many things. That law is being eliminated. Couldn't the same thing happen to the other laws that you say protect workers now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio