Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,237 times

Advertisements

Is it common practice on Ohio interstates, that when a trooper pulls someone over for speeding, they remove you from your car, frisk you, place you un-cuffed in the rear seat of the police car, Miranderize you & say they have to read you your rights because they are going to record your conversation? And the reason why they are doing it is because the driver is acting very nervous, so they must have drugs &/or drug paraphenalia on them. The driver, who is a college kid returning home from school, said the cop kept asking where are the drugs, are you high now, when's the last time you used drugs, etc... The kids from a law enforcement family & has respect for the police. Don't have a problem with the kid being pulled over & issued a speeding ticket, shame on them, just wondering if this is the norm in Ohio. Never heard of someone being read their rights unless they were cuffed & being arrested. TIA!!

Last edited by BxRosie; 05-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: shorten text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 PM

364 posts, read 715,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Is it common practice on Ohio interstates, that when a trooper pulls someone over for speeding, they remove you from your car, frisk you, place you un-cuffed in the rear seat of the police car, Miranderize you & say they have to read you your rights because they are going to record your conversation? And the reason why they are doing it is because the driver is acting very nervous, so they must have drugs &/or drug paraphenalia on them. The driver, who is a college kid returning home from school, said the cop kept asking where are the drugs, are you high now, when's the last time you used drugs, etc... The kids from a law enforcement family & has respect for the police. Don't have a problem with the kid being pulled over & issued a speeding ticket, shame on them, just wondering if this is the norm in Ohio. Never heard of someone being read their rights unless they were cuffed & being arrested. TIA!!
Not sure if this is a serious question or not, but the situation you described is definitely not the norm. Since I have a lead foot, I've been pulled over for speeding probably about seven times in Ohio and I was never ordered to step out of my car. I did however have a similar incident as you described happen to me on the MassPike in Western MA when I was Boston bound. I drove pretty much the whole way without sleep and only stopping for fuel and restroom breaks. My eyelids were low due to being sleep deprived and my eyes were red from my contact lenses drying out, so the cop questioned me about being high on "pot." Extreme sleep deprivation and intoxication can sometimes reveal similar signs, in which the cop probably automatically assumed the latter. Being that I was a young black male (and no I'm not a race baiter by any means) driving a relatively new Acura, he probably assumed I was up to no good, especially being from out of state.

I can admit the way I was dressed probably played a part in me being frisked down and practically interrogated as to why I was in Massachusetts. It was a degrading experience being on the side of I-90, being frisked down, and explaining my reasoning for being in the state was to visit relatives in Boston. I guess the cop did not believe me, so he even asked what part of the city they live. Luckily I'm familiar with the city of Boston, had I not been, he probably would have thought I was lying (and called backup, which happened to a friend of mine).

After becoming a few years wiser, now in my mid-20's, I've learned not to dress in a manner to draw attention to myself while driving, particularly wearing flat-brimmed hats and plain white t-shirts. OP, I don't know the surrounding details of the person you described, but maybe the way the person was dressed had something to do with their treatment. It's not right, but we all make quick judgements and assumptions based upon outward appearances, which actually serves as a survival mechanism. More than likely, the concerned person probably gave off cues that gave the cop reason for suspicion.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks for your response Wahl! This IS a real question, no troll here! This is a clean-cut, 20 yr old white kid (like you...NO race baiter here) who was probably wearing shorts, a Yankee t-shirt & sneakers & had a decent night's sleep before getting on the road. The kid's dad a retired cop so the kids not uncomfortable around police. It was just the way the cop badgered the kid about drugs, the way he questioned the kid & Maranderized the kid. I'm sorry, but I think Mother Theresa would have been nervous at that point!

I did find out that the citation states that if you are caught with marijuana &/or marijuana paraphanelia in your car it's an automatic $250 fine & a 6 mth. suspension on your license.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
NO, it is not common, I think there is MUCH more to the story.

Wearing anything Yankees should have gotten him arrested.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
NO, it is not common, I think there is MUCH more to the story.

Wearing anything Yankees should have gotten him arrested.
Nope...not more to this story, other than the cop was a K-9 unit.

The kid was actually wearing a school t-shirt.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:08 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
Where does he go to school?

Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Sounds like the norm if they think the passenger is carry drugs. It is not uncommon at all for troopers to remove drivers from cars.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:55 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Nope...not more to this story, other than the cop was a K-9 unit.

The kid was actually wearing a school t-shirt.
Wear "a Yankee t-shirt" implies a NY Yankee baseball team T-Shirt.

Who related the details about this encounter with the Trooper?

Stopped for speeding? How much over the posted limit? Other than the Turnpike the max speed in Ohio is 65, more than about five over during good weather conditions brings a good chance of being stopped, switching lanes when there is no reason or aggressive driving can get you stopped regardless of your speed.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:37 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
It wasn't an Ohio State trooper, but when I was about 19 (this was maybe 1990) I was headed back to school in PA. I was pulled over on route 224 entering the town of Poland, OH. The officer came up and yelled, "Do you know how fast you were going?" I replied, "30?" He yelled, "You were going 32 in a 25 mph zone! Get out of the car!" He then put me in the back seat of the patrol car while he ran my license and plates/registration. He told me he was keeping my license until I came back to pay the ticket in person. He told me I could drive with the copy of the ticket in lieu of my license. I think he was overly aggressive and the whole thing was just odd. That's the only ticket I've received in 24 years of driving.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Wear "a Yankee t-shirt" implies a NY Yankee baseball team T-Shirt.

Who related the details about this encounter with the Trooper?

Stopped for speeding? How much over the posted limit? Other than the Turnpike the max speed in Ohio is 65, more than about five over during good weather conditions brings a good chance of being stopped, switching lanes when there is no reason or aggressive driving can get you stopped regardless of your speed.
Someone said maybe what the kid was wearing prompted the trooper to pull the kid out of the car. If it wasn't a sports-related shirt, it would have been a school t-shirt. Wearing a Yankees t-shirt doesn't automatically make someone a thug. If in your eyes it does, that's your problem. BTW, the kid had on a college
t-shirt. Depending on what school it was, does that automatically qualify the kid for arrest?

I heard the story directly from the kid.

Again, don't have a problem with the speeding ticket.

The question is about if mirandaizing a kid & placing them uncuffed in the rear seat of a police car (with the K-9 dog) & badgering them about drugs is common practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio