Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:21 AM

21 posts, read 36,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
How long have you been considering a move to Ohio?
We started looking last fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
What are your family's employment circumstances and expectations, including driving times?
I essentially work from home. I require office space but only sporadically. My wife is in sales and travels nationwide but spends most days working from home.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hmm there are some wonderful areas of Cincinnati and some rather drab areas of Columbus. I feel like maybe she hasn't really been to enough of either city. Not sure what makes Columbus more family friendly though. What does she mean "feels" unsafe?

I lived in Columbus from 2008-2012. It certainly has some good areas. Grandview, Arena District, German Village, Short North, Victorian Village, Clintonville are all cool spots. However, if I didn't live in one of these areas, I wouldn't want to live in Columbus. I share the sentiment that Columbus can be bland, i.e. too many people "passing through" for college and government jobs, and a decent number of country people who move to the city for opportunities but aren't really all that connected to it. I find a lot of the new developments really alienating too in terms of architecture. It's also not far south enough to really have a minimal winter (like Cincinnati) and not far north enough to have a real winter (Cleveland). In terms of sports, since you mentioned it, Ohio State football is fantastic and honestly more worth watching and following than the Bengals. However, the Blue Jackets are awful and nobody really cares about them (I doubt if you asked any random Columbus residents on the street if they could name 3 players on CBJ that they could) and MLS is just not the same thing as the MLB.

Cincinnati has some incredibly charming areas in my opinion. I've been there many times (granted, not for the last two years though) and didn't really find people to be provincial or insular. Sometimes people confuse that with just having a regional culture. Parts of the city are definitely gritty and not the safest, but I don't think you'd be in danger of accidentally moving there or wandering through late at night. In my opinion, that's a non factor.

I'd choose Cincinnati. Though there are certainly worse places to be than Columbus.
How different are the winters really? Just a bit of temp and snow difference or more like a longer winter in Columbus?

Old 07-14-2016, 03:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Like another poster suggested I would look into specific communities within both of the cities and metro areas and then compare them from there. Both Cincy and Columbus have interesting urban neighborhoods with a ton of development, hopeless ghettos, old money suburbs, suburban sprawl etc.

Columbus is definitely not a bland city and is currently exploding with growth and development. The Short North, Arena District, German Village, Grandview and Victorian Village are neighborhoods in the city limits that I would recommend spending time in if you want to experience vibrant urban environments that are unique to Columbus.

If you're looking for things to do in the area there is literally a large festival every weekend this time of year. So far we've had Arts fest, Pride, Community (Comm) Fest, Park Street Fest, Red White and Boom and the Dooh Dah parade. Coming up we have the Jazz and Ribs festival, the food truck festival, the state fair etc. There are outdoor concerts at the Columbus Commons downtown every weekend as well.

For beautiful parks check out Goodale Park, Schiller Park and Whetstone Park of Roses. Alum creek is close by and is the closest thing in Central Ohio to a beach, Hocking Hills is a close drive away as well if you like to hike and Franklin Park Conservatory is a beautiful botanical garden.

Columbus is a great city, I'm sure Cincy is a well. Honestly you can't go wrong with either city if you pick the right neighborhood for you and your family.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:28 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius J. Reilly View Post
You're probably right on the sports thing. It is more of a way to feel as part of a city - being a fan and living there.
Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Cincinnati, I just prefer Columbus. You are not going to have any noticeable difference in your life if you live in a mcmansion in Mason or one in Hilliard or in Pickerington (or for that matter, Beavercreek or Strongsville).

As I said in another post, only a handful of cities in the United States offer any kind of lifestyle or amenities that one could call unique. Most of the rest of the cities are all basically the same. And of that second tier of cities that are all basically the same, the three C's (Columbus, Cincinnati/Dayton and Cleveland) are all solidly above-average cities and easily in the top of that second tier. (The metro areas, that is.)

The major league teams in Cleveland and in Cincinnati are covered almost like local teams by the Columbus media. And if you are into Cincinnati teams, 700 WLW booms into Columbus like a local station as does AM 850 WKNR from Cleveland.

The only knock I have against Cincinnati other than the fact that they are a little backward when it comes to racial relations, but not too bad (and again this is from a guy for whom that is not too much of a priority, I just want to be left alone), is that it is more redneck-ish than the Columbus area is. Part of that is because 1/3 of the population in that market is south of the Ohio River in Kentucky. Columbus is going to be more consistently Midwestern maybe with a touch of Madison Wisconsin thrown in.

Last edited by PerryMason614; 07-14-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 07-14-2016, 04:51 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius J. Reilly View Post
How different are the winters really? Just a bit of temp and snow difference or more like a longer winter in Columbus?
It's a tad warmer and Cincinnati and there's a tad less snow, but nothing so significant that it would be a determining lactor. Now if you are comparing Cleveland to either Columbus or Cincinnati, that's a completely different story.

I thought of one reason that might be a deciding factor for you. If you are going to be living in Mason, it is going to be a little bit of a haul to get to the airport because it is in Kentucky. Most of the comfortable suburbs in the Columbus area are a shorter distance to the John Glenn International Airport in Columbus.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:37 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
[quote=Ignatius J. Reilly;44757345]I'm not sure where you came up with that. Why would I waste my time on such nonsense? If I wanted to flame a board I could be much more impactful than my original post.[/QUOTE

Maybe 'cause you stated in another thread that after visiting the Midwest you came to appreciate Florida so much more...smooth roads and all that, Florida is so neat and clean (compared to the Midwest)...etc

Plus your initial post in this thread sounds a bit too contrived and on point with the usual attributes people like or dislike about Cinci and Columbus. Things you and wife independently came up by visiting these two cities; each of you complete polar opposites for each city.

Just not buying this thread...but continue on. I won't chime in anymore.

Btw, sounds like your ''How is Columbus so family friendly'' didn't answer that topic sufficiently.

Carry on...

Old 07-15-2016, 09:39 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
I lived in COL and CLE many years and visit CIN 7-8 times a year. I prefer CLE , CIN over COL. If you factor in weather then go with CIN.
Most importantly you must remember..'happy wife, happy life'..

Old 07-16-2016, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,257 times
Default Split the difference

I lived in a nice, quiet suburb of Dayton and would visit both Cinci and Columbus frequently. It was only an hour drive to each and I enjoyed all the benefits of both towns.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:28 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
I live in the Dayton area and I go to Cincinnati far FAR more than Columbus. It has amenities galore and feels like a much more major city. When we have visitors in from out of town we will always take them to Cincinnati. The city is literally dripping charm. Better sports (except college football), better restaurants, many more interesting and eclectic neighborhoods, multiple universities, superior scenery, slightly friendlier weather. Just since April I've seen - in Cincy - Billy Joel, Grateful Dead, Dave Matthews Band, Dixie Chicks, Guns n Roses and Paul McCartney, so they get more concerts. I did see Garth Brooks in Columbus. Kings Island is awesome, but so are the waterparks in Mason.

And the streetcar is about to debut as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio