Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 12:08 PM

102 posts, read 101,587 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just gonna say this right off the bat, I'm not moving. I want to know what people have to say of Troy, Ohio.

I follow the murder case of an unidentified dead woman "Buckskin Girl Jane Doe", found dead in Troy in 1981.

I've never been to Troy, nor was I alive back then anyway, so I'd like some info about Troy.

Is it thought of as a good town? Does it have lots of good restaurants or at least popular restaurants? Is it very religious? Are there lots of drugs there? Were there then? Is it easy to get around? What is its "feel"? What kind of people live there?

For some info, "Buckskin Girl" was found on Greenlee Road, lying face-down in a ditch.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 05:47 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
I have not been there in a long time but they do have a fairly nice town square and they just had their strawberry festival.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
I've never lived in Troy, but spent over 5 decades in a small town just North of Troy. Visited Troy hundreds of times. It's typical small town Ohio, built along the Great Miami river, famous for its annual strawberry festival and the home of Hobart Brothers. Google Hobart Brothers for more info.

Troy has the usual assortment of chain restaurants with a couple of local favorites thrown in for good measure. Their downtown is pretty busy most of the time,with the usual government buildings alongside mom and pop shops. Like I said it's typical small town America.

Like every small town in America, Troy has a drug problem. I remember as a teenager in the late 60's and early 70's it was the place to go to score weed. I imagine it's not much different today.

Troy had one of the first traffic circles around, which they now call roundabouts. Very progressive at the time. I would describe Troy as much more progressive minded than the towns north of Piqua and Sidney.

That's about all I can think of now, especially since I've moved a long way from there and haven't visited in quite a while.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:14 AM

135 posts, read 183,754 times
Troy is one of the nicer small towns in Ohio. I was just there a week ago for the aforementioned Strawberry Festival. It says something about the town that the festival's mission is "to be the best small-town festival in the midwest" (a mission they pretty much achieve). It's on the freeway, so there are a lot of chain restaurants and big box stores, but it does seem to have a disproportionate number of mom-and-pop businesses as well. Even compared to a nicer town like Urbana, which is the next county over, Troy has a lot more to do in the downtown area. There's a large, well-preserved historic residential district. And it's only about 10 miles down the freeway until you get into north Dayton, so there are plenty of people who live in Troy and commute into the city, making it a little more cosmopolitan than your typical small town.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:05 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm not familiar with Ohio or even the midwest in general. I've only been through Cleveland.

I had no idea that they had a lot of mom and pop businesses! Easy place to stop in and grab a bite to eat? Hmm..

Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Troy is one of the more prosperous (in relative terms) small towns in western Ohio. It's far enough from Dayton to not be considered a mere suburb, but close enough to be within the Dayton media-market, not to mention commuting distance. Troy is evidently less dependent on single-employer big industry, than is the norm for similar towns, and therefore has at least somewhat avoided the economic decline that's blighted so many comparable towns. In some quarters, Troy has a reputation for being socially conservative, with the various concomitant implications about demographics.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Was it quite as socially conservative in the early 80s?

Old 06-15-2017, 03:37 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringrainN View Post
Was it quite as socially conservative in the early 80s?
Troy,Piqua, and Sidney are all very conservative small towns, which is very normal for that part of the country. I lived near there for a long,long time and never saw it as anything but conservative.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:11 AM

712 posts, read 555,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Troy,Piqua, and Sidney are all very conservative small towns, which is very normal for that part of the country. I lived near there for a long,long time and never saw it as anything but conservative.
I have lived in Sidney 35 years and it is conservative to a point but wait till Country Concert week and going to Walmart is an experience and most certainly doesn't look conservative with the amount of beer sold and you might see images on the sight only at Walmart.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:10 PM

17 posts, read 14,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I've never lived in Troy, but spent over 5 decades in a small town just North of Troy. Visited Troy hundreds of times. It's typical small town Ohio, built along the Great Miami river, famous for its annual strawberry festival and the home of Hobart Brothers. Google Hobart Brothers for more info.

Troy has the usual assortment of chain restaurants with a couple of local favorites thrown in for good measure. Their downtown is pretty busy most of the time,with the usual government buildings alongside mom and pop shops. Like I said it's typical small town America.

Like every small town in America, Troy has a drug problem. I remember as a teenager in the late 60's and early 70's it was the place to go to score weed. I imagine it's not much different today.

Troy had one of the first traffic circles around, which they now call roundabouts. Very progressive at the time. I would describe Troy as much more progressive minded than the towns north of Piqua and Sidney.

That's about all I can think of now, especially since I've moved a long way from there and haven't visited in quite a while.
Negative. Troy is still conservative although like mostvohio towns these days therecis a large homosexual element
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: