Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 32,484 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I am a new resident of OK .. I recently relocated here from New Jersey. Currently in the Mill Creek area of Oklahoma. We are suffering from major culture shock LOL.. The most differences I noticed in my one week of staying here is: New Jersey is definately more expensive(which is why we moved in the first place) .. the people in Oklahoma are far more nicer and helpful here. But it is a whole lot different in regards to housing issues. In New Jersey everything is modern, high tech and brand new but VERY outrageous. It is very hard to find a 3BR home for under 1200.00 there!! Here the rent is way cheaper but less modern and up to date. Food is much cheaper here too.. I love the scenery here far better than New Jersey as well.What I need to know from anyone is advice on low crime areas with decent employment and decent housing. I can afford up to 850.00 a month for a 3BR home. Does anyone know of any places for rent?? Is there any areas I should avoid in OKlahoma as far as crime rates go?? I was also looking into Fayetteville and surrounding areas of Arkansas or even areas of Northern Texas as other relocation possibilities. Any advice , suggestions ???

Here is a bit about my family :

I am new to the area and looking for a decent place to rent in a safe community.
Let me describe my situation a bit : We are a family of 5 . My husband is a disabled Veteran of the Army. He became disabled in late 2004-early 2005. He is only 29 years old. He is able to work part time and is also in the process of transerring his college credits into a Bachelors degree in Health Education.
I am 37 years old and on SSI currently..I plan to eventually work from home for an online insurance business or finish getting my associates degree in Criminal Justice.
My daughter is 16 and is going to be getting her GED as soon as we relocate someplace. My son is 18 and he is looking for full time emloyment and possibly enlisting into the military soon. My nephew is 17 and has his GED and plans to work part time and go to college full time. They are all great kids. No problems at all, thank God for that LOL..
I do have an older dog and an older cat .. my cat is 13 years old and i just couldnt take a chance on no one adopting him at his old age. I have an 8 year old small chiahiuaha that is very well mannered. Never any problems at all .. I realize that pets will be an issue in getting us our home but we can pay extra on the rent or additional pet deposits if needed. Also, because I am on SSI, I will be home all the time so the pets would not be alone for any problems to occur.
Our credit is not good .. that i will be honest and upfront about. But we are trying to get our fresh start and clean up all those issues. We really make great tenants and our quiet, God loving and drug and alcohol free .. Just looking for someone to give us a chance to start anew in Oklahoma and start on the right foot. Would love to talk about things more so if you are interested in as new tenants, please email me and set up an appointment to meet. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 02:37 AM

2 posts, read 8,179 times
Default try okc

try okc you can can find some apts there for under 700 per month that are affordable enough to live in until you find something you want to buy if you plan on staying in ok for the long term

Old 08-24-2008, 06:40 PM

97 posts, read 368,919 times
In my corner of town (I'm in Mayfair Heights, near NW 50th and May), there are usually several houses up for lease in the $695-800 range.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:53 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
I'm paying $925 a month for renting a 3-bedroom house in the Northwest part of Oklahoma City. When I moved here last year, I saw some places advertised that were built from 2005 and later that were fairly inexpensive (not as low as $850 though). North Texas (at least Dallas-Fort Worth) is going to be much more expensive than Oklahoma City. Can get new houses as low as $110k if you are willing to live on the outskirts of the metro, but cheap housing rentals aren't really available.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:09 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snjmom2006 View Post
Hello Everyone! I am a new resident of OK .. I recently relocated here from New Jersey. Currently in the Mill Creek area of Oklahoma. We are suffering from major culture shock LOL.. The most differences I noticed in my one week of staying here is: New Jersey is definately more expensive(which is why we moved in the first place) .. the people in Oklahoma are far more nicer and helpful here. But it is a whole lot different in regards to housing issues. In New Jersey everything is modern, high tech and brand new but VERY outrageous. It is very hard to find a 3BR home for under 1200.00 there!! Here the rent is way cheaper but less modern and up to date. Food is much cheaper here too.. I love the scenery here far better than New Jersey as well.What I need to know from anyone is advice on low crime areas with decent employment and decent housing. I can afford up to 850.00 a month for a 3BR home. Does anyone know of any places for rent?? Is there any areas I should avoid in OKlahoma as far as crime rates go?? I was also looking into Fayetteville and surrounding areas of Arkansas or even areas of Northern Texas as other relocation possibilities. Any advice , suggestions ???

Here is a bit about my family :

I am new to the area and looking for a decent place to rent in a safe community.
Let me describe my situation a bit : We are a family of 5 . My husband is a disabled Veteran of the Army. He became disabled in late 2004-early 2005. He is only 29 years old. He is able to work part time and is also in the process of transerring his college credits into a Bachelors degree in Health Education.
I am 37 years old and on SSI currently..I plan to eventually work from home for an online insurance business or finish getting my associates degree in Criminal Justice.
My daughter is 16 and is going to be getting her GED as soon as we relocate someplace. My son is 18 and he is looking for full time emloyment and possibly enlisting into the military soon. My nephew is 17 and has his GED and plans to work part time and go to college full time. They are all great kids. No problems at all, thank God for that LOL..
I do have an older dog and an older cat .. my cat is 13 years old and i just couldnt take a chance on no one adopting him at his old age. I have an 8 year old small chiahiuaha that is very well mannered. Never any problems at all .. I realize that pets will be an issue in getting us our home but we can pay extra on the rent or additional pet deposits if needed. Also, because I am on SSI, I will be home all the time so the pets would not be alone for any problems to occur.
Our credit is not good .. that i will be honest and upfront about. But we are trying to get our fresh start and clean up all those issues. We really make great tenants and our quiet, God loving and drug and alcohol free .. Just looking for someone to give us a chance to start anew in Oklahoma and start on the right foot. Would love to talk about things more so if you are interested in as new tenants, please email me and set up an appointment to meet. Thanks in advance
Since you posted this in the OKC forum, I assume you are wanting to stay in OKC.

I have a friend who does rehab on houses and does a "flip" on them after they are fixed up. He does a rent to own financing program for several of his properties wen the credit is less than perfect. He has also done some counseling for credit repair from his years as a mortgage broker. In addition to being involved in the housing industry, he is pastor of a small AoG church in Bethany. If you want his number, DM me and I will supply it.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Check Crigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City