Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 02:47 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyspring View Post
Nothing lasts forever and when your number's up your number's up. Just think how many country music artists he influenced and how his influence will prevail in spite of his loss. This is the sign of a true legend when you are able to keep hearing the great after the great has passed. Live on Merle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 09:36 AM

It's been over a week since the Greatest in Country Music passed.

Another tip of the hat to Merle this morning. Enjoy if you haven't already seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4V3S7kGNjY

Old 04-22-2016, 04:50 AM

It's been two weeks since our man died. Let's let him sing us into the weekend. One my favorites right here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EiwLvIF4tNA.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:59 AM

Here's another great one that is often forgotten by the Greatest of All Time, simply the Hag. I thought it would be a great idea if we posted a Haggard song at least once a week in his honor. He's done as much or more as anybody putting Oklahoma on the map. Tip of the hat to the Hag today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPFlcZQH_FU

Old 04-30-2016, 09:20 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Bass&Catfish, that's definitely a great idea! Thanks.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Bass&Catfish, that's definitely a great idea! Thanks.

I guess our friend and Okie Brother Merle knows "what it's like to be there" now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZdbB8sP8do

Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
OK, I'll keep this thread alive awhile longer. Merle was also much loved in my area in California. He was born in Kern County and he and Buck Owens spent a lot of time preforming at The Billboard for the local folks. These songs bring back lots of great memories for me.

Tulare Dust isn't well known, but it described Tulare and Kern Counties in early prior dust bowl days perfectly.

Then there's his song about the Kern River which shows his house at the mouth of the Kern Canyon where he lived for quite a few years. It overlooked the river.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Merle Haggard put Muskogee on the map, a map that goes around the world. The local newspaper, "The Muskogee Phoenix," pretty much devoted today's edition to honoring Haggard. He was all set to head a music festival in Muskogee in June.

Several years ago, while visiting in a small settlement on Cape Cod, MA I arranged to play bridge one evening with a group of strangers. When I arrived and was asked where I was from, the room echoed, "You're an Okie from Muskogee!"
We even checked Muskogee out for retirement because of the song and our love for the area. He sure did make the world seem like a smaller place. He was a good man and a great entertainer. Of course I am partial to people from Ok and the surrounding states. My dad and his sister were born in OK. The only country singer I can think of I loved as much as Merle was Marty Robbins.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We even checked Muskogee out for retirement because of the song and our love for the area. He sure did make the world seem like a smaller place. He was a good man and a great entertainer. Of course I am partial to people from Ok and the surrounding states. My dad and his sister were born in OK. The only country singer I can think of I loved as much as Merle was Marty Robbins.
Amen Sister!

I've always felt a close kinship with Arkies, feeling like, along with a chunk of Tejas, the folks of Arkansas are more like Okies than other states. I think many folks from eastern Oklahoma feel that way.

I'm with ya on The Hag. My favorite singer (in any genre) by far. I'll miss seeing him live, but his music will live on. He's the greatest in my opinion: a true triple threat = great songwriter, great singer, and great instrumentalist.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:47 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Discovered at the library an autobiography by Willie Nelson, which I'm reading. He and Merle Haggard were good friends so here's a duet by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiVGH-62Hn8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: