Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 11:17 PM

57 posts, read 237,563 times

Advertisements

Wow, my first post. I have been lurking for a while, but never felt the need to post because the answers to my questions are usually already here! But, alas, I have come to an issue that I cannot find the answer for: immunizations.

We currently live in California and are considering a few areas to move to. It's a big deal for us, as we are 3rd generation Californians and all of our immediate (and beyond) family live very close to us. Regardless, OK (specifically Edmond) is at the top of the list. But, my husband and I have chosen not to immunize our children. In CA, it is the law to immunize before your children are allowed to attend school but you can opt-out and sign a waiver, which we have done. Does anyone know if that is an option in the state of Oklahoma?

Thank you for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Welcome to the forum, Carolinemoveswhere?

I think it is the same way in Oklahoma. That is, you can sign a form stating that you have personal or religious objections to immunizations.

It is a big decision to move away from family, especially if you have lived happily around your family all your life and see them very often.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Welcome to the Oklahoma thread, the niciest folks on the web .

My DW and are lookin to moving to Oklahoma ourselves. But as for me its for a couple of reasons, 1) to get the heck out of Ohio, 2) to get away from my family .

Well there is one more reason, I was stationed at Ft,Sill back in the late 70's and I just loved the people.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Oklahoma is one of the more flexible states when it comes to family and parental rights. Home schooling is common and there are tremendous resources available for home schoolers. Opting out of immunizations is common. As are many of the personal choice things espoused by various religious organizations. We still do not allow plural marriages or gay marriages, but should you decide to live an alternate lifestyle, no one really cares unless you involve minors or unwilling partners. Although mainstream society is Protestant Christian in nature, there is wide spread acceptance of non-mainstream beliefs and actions.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:57 PM

57 posts, read 237,563 times
Thanks for the responses. Interesting, though, I've never thought of us as "alternative." Here in California, alternative can be pretty out there! Protestant Christian sounds pretty good to us. Our children are actually in a private Christian school right now. It's just not safe to send our children to public school, in many ways. While our family and childhood friends are all still here, we just feel out of place in our state. You literally have to look over your shoulder everywhere you go and even then, you aren't always safe. We read stories of armed robbery, gang violence, etc, every day. Friends and family who work in law enforcement tell us all of the time that we would be stunned to learn just how dangerous our area has become. It certainly isn't the small, conservative, agriculturally based town we grew up in.

In terms of family, that is actually one of the reasons Oklahoma is on our list. We have extended family that we adore there. Cousins that live in Fort Worth come up for all the holidays and long weekends. Our children would actually have more playmates there. My mom would probably move soon after us, as the cost of living is so much cheaper.

I know I couldn't live too far out, which is why we have considered Edmond. Gotta have my organic granola, wheatgrass shot, yoga and meditation! just kidding....

Take Care.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:15 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Welcome, Caroline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: