Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 AM

27 posts, read 109,174 times

Advertisements

So I was just given a job offer in Ardmore. I want to know what the town in like. I am a single, black, 22 year old female. I would be relocating from Michigan. I was hoping to get a job in a big city but I have been unemployed for months and need something. So any information about Ardmore would be great. What are so great places to live? I don't have to live in Ardmore but I would like to live no more than 30 mins away. If you think this is not a great move for single person, please let me know. I am looking for any information I can get.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:19 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellygurl39 View Post
So I was just given a job offer in Ardmore. I want to know what the town in like. I am a single, black, 22 year old female. I would be relocating from Michigan. I was hoping to get a job in a big city but I have been unemployed for months and need something. So any information about Ardmore would be great. What are so great places to live? I don't have to live in Ardmore but I would like to live no more than 30 mins away. If you think this is not a great move for single person, please let me know. I am looking for any information I can get.

Thanks!
Having driven through and spent time in Ardmore many times, I would say that if you are expecting a big city then you will be thoroughly disappointed.

The surrounding areas are beautiful = lakes, rolling hills, and more sunshine than you can shake a stick at.

I'm guessing the culture shock will be something for you to consider. There is not much around Ardmore, and the surrounding area and even Ardmore itself carries more of a rural/small-town feel. You would be about 1.5 hour from OK City or DFW.

Best of luck on your decision.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
I think if it was me, I would be adventuresome enough to go for it, especially if the new job was appealing. Ardmore is about as warm as it gets in Oklahoma during the winter time. I've seen Ardmore before and it's a rather nice looking town, not too run down looking like some Oklahoma towns. Unlike many other Oklahoma towns that are isolated from large metro areas, Ardmore is growing some in population. While Dallas-Ft. Worth is at least an hour and a half away, it is one of the largest metro areas in the country.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Having driven through and spent time in Ardmore many times, I would say that if you are expecting a big city then you will be thoroughly disappointed.

The surrounding areas are beautiful = lakes, rolling hills, and more sunshine than you can shake a stick at.

I'm guessing the culture shock will be something for you to consider. There is not much around Ardmore, and the surrounding area and even Ardmore itself carries more of a rural/small-town feel. You would be about 1.5 hour from OK City or DFW.

Best of luck on your decision.
Thank you! Do you know anything about the nicest areas to live in that area?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellygurl39 View Post
Thank you! Do you know anything about the nicest areas to live in that area?
You're certainly welcome.

I think the northeast side, near the high school, is one of the nicer areas.

Also, there are some nicer older homes in the center of town near the townsquare and also some newer editions on the southwest side of town.

I'm sure some of the others on here and residents of Ardmore could help more with the real estate aspect.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:24 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
If you need a job, you need a job.

Ardmore won't kill you, but keep your expectations low in regards to entertainment options. If I were a person in your position I would try to keep a good atitude, make the best of it while you are there, but continue your job search.

Because Ardmore is the kind of town that might be nice to be from, but it's not really the type of town a single 22 year old from may fully appreciate.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If you need a job, you need a job.

Ardmore won't kill you, but keep your expectations low in regards to entertainment options. If I were a person in your position I would try to keep a good atitude, make the best of it while you are there, but continue your job search.

Because Ardmore is the kind of town that might be nice to be from, but it's not really the type of town a single 22 year old from may fully appreciate.
Thanks so much! You are right, a year or two isn't that bad.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 10,020 times
I lived here all my life and it is not a place I'd move to. Actually we are thinking of moving away just so we can make a living. There is nothing in this town and we always have to go out of town for anything, medical care, shopping, etc. Living costs are outragous compared to wages. They try to talk up the area but I promise a young person can not make it here. Its more of a retirement community. No way to increase savings account or life experiences in this town. There are smaller towns in Oklahoma that offer more than Ardmore does. Sorry to be negative but I would be upset if I made that move.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 18,022 times
I actually live here and I hate it. (junior in high school). I actually hate Oklahoma as a whole, and will prob go to college out of state. But Ardmore in particular sucks. There is nothing to do, it's kind of old and dirty, the weather sucks and the roads are awful. My family lives out in the country area to the west of the town, and there are some nicer houses out here, but the majority of the houses in the town itself are dumps. I have a friend that lives in Dornick Hills (golfing community) which is north of the high school, and it's really nice there, and there are some houses for sale, but aside from that the town itself sucks.

Expect to be bored all day long, because your only choices of entertainment are the Carmike 8 movie theater, and Wal-mart. All of the fast food sucks, and like I said earlier, the roads suck and will destroy your tires. I'd do it if you really need the job, but if you can live without it, stay far away.

MSG me with any other questions, I can answer pretty much anything.

(P.S. If you have kids, the education system is terrible also)

Edit: We're from the LA area, so my expectations may be a little high, but really don't think I made it sound worse than it is.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:15 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler1772 View Post
I actually live here and I hate it. (junior in high school). I actually hate Oklahoma as a whole, and will prob go to college out of state. But Ardmore in particular sucks. There is nothing to do, it's kind of old and dirty, the weather sucks and the roads are awful. My family lives out in the country area to the west of the town, and there are some nicer houses out here, but the majority of the houses in the town itself are dumps. I have a friend that lives in Dornick Hills (golfing community) which is north of the high school, and it's really nice there, and there are some houses for sale, but aside from that the town itself sucks.

Expect to be bored all day long, because your only choices of entertainment are the Carmike 8 movie theater, and Wal-mart. All of the fast food sucks, and like I said earlier, the roads suck and will destroy your tires. I'd do it if you really need the job, but if you can live without it, stay far away.

MSG me with any other questions, I can answer pretty much anything.

(P.S. If you have kids, the education system is terrible also)

Edit: We're from the LA area, so my expectations may be a little high, but really don't think I made it sound worse than it is.
Just think, in a couple of years you can go back to LA and be rid of Ardmore. And I'd agree for some high school kid who was from LA Ardmore would "suck".

For somebody who needs a good job with a decent pay, in a place with an extremely low cost of living. Maybe it wouldn't suck so bad. You know, being able to live, and save a little money instead of spending it all on basic living expenses. Things like that.

As far as small towns in this part of the world Ardmore is one of the better non suburban ones in Oklahoma/Texas. Our high school student is right that there isn't much to do, but it's not far to Dallas or OKC where there is more to do, and if you like "lake" type of stuff Ardmore isn't bad at all during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma