Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2024, 01:52 PM

215 posts, read 210,619 times

Advertisements

I was doing research on OK history and I wanted to know a little more on the place origins of the non Indigenous people who first settled in your state.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 04:11 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Mostly people from the southeastern states settled in Indian territory which was basically the eastern half of the state. This was true when the Tribes had jurisdiction of the land well up into statehood.

The Boomer movement was mostly a Kansan thing. In the original land run it was probably a good majority people from the plains states, however there was a pretty good Texan contingent that entered from the Chickasaw nation point of Purcell, OK. It has been said that the the part of OKC north of the Canadian river was Kansan and the part south was Texan originally.

The Cherokee strip run was almost all northerners with a number of Czech and Mennonite Wheat farmers. To this day I would say that it is the one part of the state that would be "midwestern". The Cheyenne Arapaho lands were a mixed bag but there was a surprising Missourian contingent to that run.

The opening by lottery of the Comanche/Kiowa/Apache/Big Pasture area was Texan. Then the admission of Greer county, TX made Texans to be Okies overnight.

Finally, No Man's land in the Panhandle was an odd mix of Kansans and Texas panhandle people settling the area.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:54 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Google can help - sooners, land run are good starters.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:35 PM

215 posts, read 210,619 times
Hey thanks Eddie G for the input.I know the obvious response was just to listlessly Google this stuff but I didn't want to be lazy about it and decided to come here to the Oklahoma forum of city data and get a "boots on the ground" locals take on these kinds of questions because a lot of people are really eager like you to teach others about where they live.Thanks again and peace out.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:08 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Thanks,

here is something that the state historical society put out about settlement patterns of early Oklahoma...

https://www.okhistory.org/publicatio...ENT%20PATTERNS

Old 02-09-2024, 09:13 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
I was doing research on OK history and I wanted to know a little more on the place origins of the non Indigenous people who first settled in your state.Thanks.

A lot of the Southern folks settling Oklahoma Territory were the dregs and rejects of their Southern homestates looking for a new start and new opportunity to have their own land.

The First Nations folks were mainly from Southeastern states like Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and as you well know many came over on the Trail Of Tears.

Like many Okies, I've got kin from both streams. I'm Choctaw/Creek with some Anglo mixed in there. :-)

Happy research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma