Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 PM

101 posts, read 227,185 times

Advertisements

Would a southerner be reasonable able to drive on main roads in Omaha this time of year? As in does the snow etc get cleared enough for the less experienced driver to handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,190,589 times
The main roads are usually in good shape. And so far the year the neighborhood streets have been cleared very well too. Even alleyways got plowed a day after the 8 inches that fell last week. Best advice is just take it slow and try not to make and sudden turns.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 PM

482 posts, read 1,332,147 times
If you have rear wheel drive you may not want to get out and about if there is even an inch of snow. I have lived here for 28 years and still hesitate to take my rear wheel truck out in more than 2 or 3 inches. Front wheel or 4x4 is would certainly make your life easier.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 PM

906 posts, read 1,811,170 times
As someone who moved here from South Carolina, I can say the roads are generally maintained as well as they can be, but ice is often a problem. Many days of the year in January it is just NOT safe to be driving in a car. I second getting a four wheel drive.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
As someone who moved here from South Carolina, I can say the roads are generally maintained as well as they can be, but ice is often a problem. Many days of the year in January it is just NOT safe to be driving in a car. I second getting a four wheel drive.
It depends on the car. Some are too light, and not good.

And good tires. I drive a minivan with front wheel drive, and a Ford Taurus with front wheel drive. The van is great in the snow--and even better this year since I got 4 new tires this past summer. The Taurus is too light and the front wheels spin way too easily. Of course, it would probably benefit a lot from some new snow tires, too.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 PM

306 posts, read 714,719 times
A well maintained vehicle and maybe a good set of snow tires is all you really need to get around in the winter. You don't really need a 4 wheel drive vehicle up here unless you absolutely have to travel in the snow (e.g., job). If the roads are bad enough to require 4 wheel drive, then it's probably a better idea to stay home.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
Practice, practice and more practice driving on ice and snow is the only way to become proficient at it. Getting good advice and heeding it also helps so here is my advice: Four wheel and front wheel drives GO better on slick roads BUT they do not STOP any better. If you drive a rear wheel drive vehicle on slick roads you know the roads are slick and you will adjust your speed accordingly. Too many drivers in 4WD or front wheel drive drive faster because of the increased traction HOWEVER since they cannot stop any better they get in situations where they cannot stop. Never forget GRAVITY and how it can affect your vehicle. Everyone is aware of uphill and downhill but don't forget that most highways have a crown in the middle of the road. WIND can be a force that can ********* up in a hurry. For instance when the wind is coming from your right it will be forcing you UPHILL to the crown of the road. When it is blowing from your left it will be forcing your vehicle to the downside of the crown. Flat and banked corners are other factors that affect your vehicle. Slick roads magnify the affects of these forces. Then remember to always watch out for the other guy. You will be surrounded by a certain percentage of TOTAL IDIOTS.
GL2

Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 PM

817 posts, read 1,770,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Never forget GRAVITY and how it can affect your vehicle.
I hate to be one of those that nitpick, but gravity is not the reason for this problem. It is the mass of the car and newtons first law of motion.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM

624 posts, read 1,310,160 times
The only thing I find dangerous about the roads when ice is present is the stupid people that drive on them. The most annoying thing is when someone goes 10 or 15 below the speed limit on a straight away, but then doesn't brake till the last possible safe or unsafe moment. What's the point of going slow if you're going to do that!? Please excuse me.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 PM

906 posts, read 1,811,170 times
I'm confused. You're annoyed that people are driving slow on ice? And then you're prefer they break sooner? I have a feeling you get annoyed easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha