Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:36 PM

226 posts, read 576,715 times

Advertisements

I can see why they chose Tampa. There is something about that area...

Ciao..LiO...WEST is BEST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 07:50 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I've done extensive traveling for business and for personal reasons. All 50 states have been visited. I don't live in Omaha, I live in Eastern Nebraska, but I was raised in Omaha. Every place I visited, I looked at it as a possible retirement location. After 40 years of this, I retired and decided that there was no place comparable to Nebraska. I'm retired here.

Ask any police officer and they will tell you that crime is prevalent in warmer months and climates. The cold keeps crime low.

What most don't know is that the only area the comparable to Omaha but yet has a warmer climate is Rapid City SD. Yes they are warmer then here.

Nebraska isn't for everyone, (I heard that somewhere).
Rapid city is not warmer than omaha.

Omaha and rapid city are almost identical winter temps, but rapid city is much windier and showier.

Omaha is considerably war.er than rapid city in the fall and spring

Old 03-02-2020, 05:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
If you are tired of cold and dry.... And you like to garden.... Consider western WA (income tax free). As a prairie kid (Cornhusker) trying to get through the WA winters... I take frequent sun escapes, usually Colorado, Texas or southern CA or AZ mtns. Though NZ is a great place for December to March.

We will likely have adequate water for gardening wtshtf, since we get 100" of drizzle /yr. My WA location is 15 min from A great international airport in Sales tax free Oregon. 1000+ food trucks, but I have to make my own Runzas. As my NE grandmother taught me long before the fast food arrived. Come attend our Nebraska picnic next summer and enjoy fresh salmon and wild berries.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:42 PM

226 posts, read 576,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Rapid city is not warmer than omaha.

Omaha and rapid city are almost identical winter temps, but rapid city is much windier and showier.

Omaha is considerably war.er than rapid city in the fall and spring
Snowier. Warmer. There, fixed your obvious grammar mistakes for you. I'm guessing you don't work in the Editing Department of UP, now do you?

Last edited by WhiteSandsYucca; 09-12-2020 at 06:06 PM..

Old 07-01-2022, 12:30 AM

577 posts, read 563,631 times
This is an interesting question...where are the places in the Deep South that are similar to West Omaha, meaning ultra-clean, organized, developed, and safe with top schools.

They mentioned Atlanta, Birmingham, Dallas, Tampa, and Orlando suburbs which I would agree on those. I've read about but haven't been to the Jacksonville suburbs (St. Johns), but that sounds like a nice area. Then there is The Woodlands in Texas and also Austin.

I've read good things about Greenville, SC and Charleston, SC. There is also Madison, Mississippi which is lovely. Huntsville, AL is another one. Hernando, MS (Memphis suburb) is one that's on the way up. New Orleans' suburbs north of the lake are said to be nice. Baton Rouge is one that I haven't seen directly but sounds nice also.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:55 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Want to move to warmer climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadJK View Post
I find that many of the people who move south just trade huddling indoors in the heat all winter for huddling indoors in the A/C all summer.
^
THIS!!!
So, in essence what ChadJK spoke to is the "tradeoff" factor to be considered of exchanging one climate extreme for another one

Speaking as an Iowa native who move to metro Atlanta as a youth, after 43 years in the southeast I can tell you that I HATE THE (long) SUMMER IN THE SOUTH!

Sure, warmer weather was a major consideration in my relocation effort all of those years ago but, due to various factors, I've flipped in my tolerance factor as comparing cold weather vs warmer weather.
Admittedly though that all comes down to a matter of personal preference but, I'll add that my current preferences are a "learned" one via my 43 years spent in the Southeast.

Anywhere along the Southeastern coast, the Gulf Coast, in the entire state of Florida is going to be grossly humid in the (long) summer.
And most of the state of Texas is insufferably hot in their (long) summer.

Think in terms of Omaha's worst heat waves that have made you miserable in the past and then add to that exponentially!

Considerations that are revealing themselves as issues we should take into account are not only recent weather records, including tropical/hurricane weather data, but also water resource availability and it's typical cost factor. Concurrent with that is the cost of energy to heat and cool your residence.
A byproduct of weather issues is the more recent problem of air quality in much of the Western U.S. due to the increasing severity of and length of the fire season.

Speaking to the issues in this last paragraph alone, every one of my relatives or good friends who live in the West are suffering from water issues &/or an increasing problem with diminished air quality due to fires.

Some states lack a state income tax which sounds great on the surface but, in the case of both Florida and Texas, don't let that fool you. They will get you in other ways, as for example the already high and rising property tax situation in Texas.

I don't envy you for the the myriad issues to be taken into consideration for making a moving decision. But, your presence here indicates that you are taking steps to do research so I'll wish you the best!

Old 07-03-2022, 05:42 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
^
THIS!!!
So, in essence what ChadJK spoke to is the "tradeoff" factor to be considered of exchanging one climate extreme for another one

Speaking as an Iowa native who move to metro Atlanta as a youth, after 43 years in the southeast I can tell you that I HATE THE (long) SUMMER IN THE SOUTH!

Sure, warmer weather was a major consideration in my relocation effort all of those years ago but, due to various factors, I've flipped in my tolerance factor as comparing cold weather vs warmer weather.
Admittedly though that all comes down to a matter of personal preference but, I'll add that my current preferences are a "learned" one via my 43 years spent in the Southeast.

Anywhere along the Southeastern coast, the Gulf Coast, in the entire state of Florida is going to be grossly humid in the (long) summer.
And most of the state of Texas is insufferably hot in their (long) summer.

Think in terms of Omaha's worst heat waves that have made you miserable in the past and then add to that exponentially!

Considerations that are revealing themselves as issues we should take into account are not only recent weather records, including tropical/hurricane weather data, but also water resource availability and it's typical cost factor. Concurrent with that is the cost of energy to heat and cool your residence.
A byproduct of weather issues is the more recent problem of air quality in much of the Western U.S. due to the increasing severity of and length of the fire season.

Speaking to the issues in this last paragraph alone, every one of my relatives or good friends who live in the West are suffering from water issues &/or an increasing problem with diminished air quality due to fires.

Some states lack a state income tax which sounds great on the surface but, in the case of both Florida and Texas, don't let that fool you. They will get you in other ways, as for example the already high and rising property tax situation in Texas.

I don't envy you for the the myriad issues to be taken into consideration for making a moving decision. But, your presence here indicates that you are taking steps to do research so I'll wish you the best!
FL has a proposition like CA does and that limits taxes going higher, plus a homestead exemption of $25,000 for one person and $50,000 for two living in their home. It deducts from the price. Of course like TX and other popular States the home prices are going up but still far less than in the popular areas of CA and TX. This includes coastal cities on the East Coast of FL which make it easier to deal with heat as you can easily access the beach and have a nice breeze that cools things nicely. Now the whole Golf area is a different story regardless of FL or TX or in between.

Old 07-05-2022, 06:14 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Want to move to warmer climate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
FL has a proposition like CA does and that limits taxes going higher, plus a homestead exemption of $25,000 for one person and $50,000 for two living in their home. It deducts from the price. Of course like TX and other popular States the home prices are going up but still far less than in the popular areas of CA and TX. This includes coastal cities on the East Coast of FL which make it easier to deal with heat as you can easily access the beach and have a nice breeze that cools things nicely. Now the whole Golf area is a different story regardless of FL or TX or in between.
I've been aware of much of your new content as seen above so I'll put it this way: When I wrote "get you in other ways", and then provided one example to which you responded, I only picked one issue but could have instead written about the troubling trend in Florida of the skyrocketing property insurance rates & policies. The cancellations that are happening with such insurance policies are already viewed as a crisis in some quarters of the population. And to this point in time, there has been no real progress that looks to alleviate the problem.

As for the coastal breeze thingy, I've been in multiple Atlantic coastal areas in the South and have noticed how the breeze dissipates quickly until it's almost a nonexistent factor just barely inland.
But you are spot on about the relative lack of the breeze in the Gulf region of Florida. I have found it to be dead and almost a complete non-factor within 2 blocks of the shoreline.

Speaking generally, you could not get me to consider living in Florida for all of the tea in China, to use an old quote that is nonetheless fitting. The whole concept of "Florida Man" speaks to the out of control and weird and often criminal behavior of far too many Floridians such that the name "Florida Man" was a fitting natural response.

To those in Nebraska seeking warmer climes, be careful to do your homework VERY THOROUGHLY before you move!

Old 07-05-2022, 06:16 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I've been aware of much of your new content as seen above so I'll put it this way: When I wrote "get you in other ways", and then provided one example to which you responded, I only picked one issue but could have instead written about the troubling trend in Florida of the skyrocketing property insurance rates & policies. The cancellations that are happening with such insurance policies are already viewed as a crisis in some quarters of the population. And to this point in time, there has been no real progress that looks to alleviate the problem.

As for the coastal breeze thingy, I've been in multiple Atlantic coastal areas in the South and have noticed how the breeze dissipates quickly until it's almost a nonexistent factor just barely inland.
But you are spot on about the relative lack of the breeze in the Gulf region of Florida. I have found it to be dead and almost a complete non-factor within 2 blocks of the shoreline.

Speaking generally, you could not get me to consider living in Florida for all of the tea in China, to use an old quote that is nonetheless fitting. The whole concept of "Florida Man" speaks to the out of control and weird and often criminal behavior of far too many Floridians such that the name "Florida Man" was a fitting natural response.

To those in Nebraska seeking warmer climes, be careful to do your homework VERY THOROUGHLY before you move!
Why are you responding to three yr old thread just to trash places ? Also stay in Nebraska we are already very full in Florida. Fly over country isn’t a very nice stereotype either so maybe we should learn how not be so judgmental.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:55 AM

577 posts, read 563,631 times
Dealing with humidity in the gulf South is simple. Keep your house ice cold in the summer and when you go outside, it feels amazing, like being under a warm heat lamp. Basically you go from your ice cold house to your ice cold car to your ice cold office (etc), with some nice outside warm air in between, and it's fine.

In terms of going out for walks etc, what I do is pack on the sunscreen, put on my earbuds, put on light jogging clothes, and approach it like I'm going for a sauna. I can walk for two hours and because of the sunscreen the heat doesn't bother me. You're drenched but it's fine because it's a work out.

Where it's an issue is if you keep your house warm in the summer to save on the A/C bill, and then you step outside into the humidity, particularly if you're wearing pants and a button down shirt etc. Then you're going to sweat probably.

But from late-September to early June the weather is nice in the South. I like cool temps myself. With cold weather (highs below 50) I like it in spurts here and there and then to return to the 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: