Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2019, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 11,112 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all. So I am wanting to venture out and move and I am highly considering Omaha. I am hoping y'all can tell me what to expect when I move there as far as weather, economy, things to do, crime, etc (the usual). I am a single 23 year old guy from Rochester, MN (southeastern part of MN). Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 06:34 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasbender25 View Post
Hey y'all. So I am wanting to venture out and move and I am highly considering Omaha. I am hoping y'all can tell me what to expect when I move there as far as weather, economy, things to do, crime, etc (the usual). I am a single 23 year old guy from Rochester, MN (southeastern part of MN). Thank you!!
If you're from Rochester, expect very little to change other than the winter temps. will be on average about 10 degrees warmer. I'm from Sioux Falls (right between the 2 cities) and my son lives by Omaha. I've been in the Rochester area multiple times. People wise Rochester, Sioux Falls, and Omaha are very similar. Yes, there are a couple parts of Omaha that can be pretty dangerous compared to anything you have in Rochester, but this is a dramatically bigger city. All of the suburbs are a lot like the area you are from.

There's quite a bit more going on in Omaha. At 23 you'll really enjoy the warehouse district, especially in the summer. You've got a AAA baseball team, the College World Series, one of the top zoos in the U.S., and major college sports a few miles south at the U. of Nebraska where going to a game is at a fervor unlike anything you will see at the U. of Minnesota.

You're leaving one of the top healthcare cities in the country to an area built more on the insurance industry, agriculture, and the railroads. Major economics for both, but with a different emphasis.

You have a close proximity to a major metro area of the Twin Cities, while Omaha is an easy driving distance to Kansas City.

I think that you'll enjoy it.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:15 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
If you have allergies to plants, trees, etc they will be much worse in Nebraska. It’s one of the worst places for allergies. Ask me how I know ((:

Old 11-05-2019, 06:46 PM

15 posts, read 24,456 times
Heck, why not consider Des Moines? It essentially has the same weather plus similar cultural, dining, and shopping offerings as Omaha (and fewer cowboys, if that's important to you). Closer to home when you want to zip back and forth. If you need to or want to do a lot of flying, Omaha has that edge.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:48 PM

561 posts, read 513,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaumontPark View Post
Heck, why not consider Des Moines? It essentially has the same weather plus similar cultural, dining, and shopping offerings as Omaha (and fewer cowboys, if that's important to you). Closer to home when you want to zip back and forth. If you need to or want to do a lot of flying, Omaha has that edge.
Fewer Cowboys? That is laughable.. Unless your counting Dallas Cowboys fans..which I’m certain there are more of them in Omaha than Des Moines, IA..

In all seriousness..There are obvious geographical similarities between Omaha and DSM.. But Omaha is the larger metro and thus has more of, and a more diverse array of all offerings..

The weather is pretty much the same though, I’ll agree with that, lol.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:28 AM

15 posts, read 24,456 times
Hey, not being a native of Omaha (or even of the Midwest), and planning to eventually get back to the Northeast, I have no allegiance to either city, however, my wife hails from the Upper Midwest, went to Drake U and worked in Des Moines a few years before joining me here in Omaha. Omaha has been a decent place to be for both of us. We also regularly spend time in Des Moines. The difference in metro size that you point out as an important factor, in my opinion, really does not result in one city having more to "offer" than the other - other than flight options, as I've pointed out. Right now, in my opinion, Des Moines has the edge in downtown energy, but these things tend to go in cycles. I also think that Omaha forces you to do much more driving due to how spread out things are. Just my opinion, as objectively as I can state it.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Nebraska is much bigger than Omaha. Lots of good places to live west of Omaha.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:50 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
I have to ask my Father, but his wife grew up outside of either Omaha, or Lincoln. Outside of visiting relatives including her sister who still lives there she has no desire to return. both of them are retired.

The problem with many of the plains states is the weather. People are already complaining about the weather today. Makes me chuckle, I cycle everywhere and people sitting in the car walking into a building are complaining......I don't mind this at all, CAN"T STAND SUMMER! Okay, end of rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: