Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2007, 10:29 PM

7 posts, read 38,740 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just got an offer and will relocate to SoCal. My office will be in El Segundo. I am thinking to live in Irvine. From google map, it states that the commute takes up to 55 minutes in traffic but I really doubt it after reading so many posts here. I am wondering how long does it take for commute from Irvine to El Segundo? Thank you for your help.

Stodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 10:52 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,053 times
Why not live in the El Segudo area? Santa Monica, Playa del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, and west LA in general are nice areas to live and you will be right by your work. If you are young, single, don't have kids, etc... then the west side will be a much better place to live than Irvine. You have excitement and culture for young people there while Irvine is awesome for families, good schools, safety, etc... I would guess one half hours at rush hour to work. The 405 is an infamous freeway in So Cal.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:58 PM

I am looking for a good place for families (good school and safety). And I think Irvine is a good candidate. But 1.5 hours sounds terrible.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:56 AM

916 posts, read 3,700,053 times
Do not try to do that drive. Look at Palos Verdes. It's a nice family friendly neighborhood. For a less expensive area than PV, try South Torrance.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Thank you. I will consider all the options before I move. Is there any other place worth to try?

Stodge

Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM

198 posts, read 931,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Do not try to do that drive. Look at Palos Verdes. It's a nice family friendly neighborhood. For a less expensive area than PV, try South Torrance.

Palos Verdes is a beautiful area--my family used to own a little 1960's 3-bedroom home there... we sold it last summer for $900,000. Lots of nice homes and a great big park nearby that I used to play at all the time when I was a little kid. ^_^

Old 12-17-2007, 05:44 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,053 times
How much are you looking to spend on a home? The west side of Los Angeles is very expensive so it would help all of us to know how much you can afford. Also, be sure to post in the Los Angeles forum.
As far as looking for good schools, I will recommend good high schools and the elementary and middle schools that feed it usually are just as good.

Redondo High School in Redondo Beach, a funky and fun beach town on the coast. Fifteen minutes to El Segundo.
Torrance is a clean family friendly city that is about 25 minutes to El Segundo. The two best high schools in Torrance are West High and South High.
Palos Verdes is a beautiful area set on the hills with great ocean views. The area is fairly expensive though. Rolling Hills Estates is nice also. Palos Verdes Peninsula High and Palos Verdes High are both really good.

Irvine is a great nice sfae community for families but the drive to El Segundo will drive you insane at rush hour. Irvine to north Orange County is bad, let alone all the way by the LAX airport. Living closer to work is necessary to stay sane in So Cal. Again, post in the LA forum also.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:19 AM

Thank you very much for all the information :>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County