Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 03:12 PM

11 posts, read 7,761 times

Advertisements

Hi
After so many years of driving in crazy LA and OC counties in California, I recently got my first ticket. A cell phone ticket. I'm shopping around for car and umbrella insurance.
The umbrella insurance company asked about my tickets and I mentioned to them about the recent cell phone ticket.
Now they have put 1 point for "moving violation" in my record. I haven't signed any contract yet, so I can walk away.

That being said, I know in state of California, cellphone tickets (at least the first one) are not considered moving violations. I wonder why some insurance companies consider it as moving violation.
When they check your DMV record, does it even show that you have a cell phone ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:03 PM

823 posts, read 1,783,703 times
Not sure how soon things appear on this website, but it showed speeding tickets (as a citation):

https://unicourt.com/

Old 03-02-2018, 10:52 AM

Thanks a lot for the url
Does the insurance company check the court proceedings to know if I've had a ticket?
Or does it check DMV records to know that I got a cellphone ticket?

Old 03-02-2018, 10:55 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirg View Post
Hi
After so many years of driving in crazy LA and OC counties in California, I recently got my first ticket. A cell phone ticket. I'm shopping around for car and umbrella insurance.
The umbrella insurance company asked about my tickets and I mentioned to them about the recent cell phone ticket.
Now they have put 1 point for "moving violation" in my record. I haven't signed any contract yet, so I can walk away.

That being said, I know in state of California, cellphone tickets (at least the first one) are not considered moving violations. I wonder why some insurance companies consider it as moving violation.
When they check your DMV record, does it even show that you have a cell phone ticket?
Yes, it's a moving violation, just like speeding.

Unless you do traffic school either online or in person. It goes on your record.

What are you doing talking on the phone and driving? Get bluetooth.

Last edited by seain dublin; 03-02-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 04:41 PM

In state of California it is NOT a moving violation and I do NOT have to go to traffic school.
Furthermore I'm NOT getting points on my driving record and my insurance premium is NOT going higher.
Please don't spread misinformation.

My question is if the insurance company can have a different definition of "moving violation" than what the state of California has and if they can liberally keep a record of that. Also if they would know about the ticket by just checking my DMV record considering that it's not considered a moving violation by California DMV.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:55 PM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
I certainly hope so, they should double your rate for each ticket you get for talking or texting !!!!!!

Old 03-02-2018, 08:44 PM

384 posts, read 733,924 times
There will be no point, however the conviction will go on your driving record.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...honelaws/index

Old 03-03-2018, 03:24 PM

252 posts, read 422,402 times
More people need to be cited for talking or texting while driving. They are extremely dangerous to the rest of us.

It is not merely a cell phone ticket and the driver can blame the cell phone and not themselves.

Distracted driving is only behind drunk driving for accidents and deaths.

Personally, due to the disrespect for the safety of others, cell phone use while driving should be punished by more than just one point on their car insurance....and also, many of these cell phone yakers, or textors, need to be highly fined and spend some time in the slammer and have their license suspended.

Maybe that might get their attention, but I doubt it.

Point being, turn off the cell phone, take responsabilty, and pay attention to driving. Think about others and not just your own little world of babbling or texting. Get a real life. Do that later when not at the wheel.

Apparently all that has been learned here is ONE POINT ON THE CAR INSURANCE. And complaining about that.

Cell phone use while driving, these inconsiderate people have no feelings about about injuring or killing other people or damaging their vehicles or even injuring or killing their kids, or family members, or their own. Nope, their dependency on a cell is more important . They just do not care . They will remain in cell cyber la la land.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
More people need to be cited for talking or texting while driving. They are extremely dangerous to the rest of us.

It is not merely a cell phone ticket and the driver can blame the cell phone and not themselves.

Distracted driving is only behind drunk driving for accidents and deaths.

Personally, due to the disrespect for the safety of others, cell phone use while driving should be punished by more than just one point on their car insurance....and also, many of these cell phone yakers, or textors, need to be highly fined and spend some time in the slammer and have their license suspended.

Maybe that might get their attention, but I doubt it.

Point being, turn off the cell phone, take responsabilty, and pay attention to driving. Think about others and not just your own little world of babbling or texting. Get a real life. Do that later when not at the wheel.

Apparently all that has been learned here is ONE POINT ON THE CAR INSURANCE. And complaining about that.

Cell phone use while driving, these inconsiderate people have no feelings about about injuring or killing other people or damaging their vehicles or even injuring or killing their kids, or family members, or their own. Nope, their dependency on a cell is more important . They just do not care . They will remain in cell cyber la la land.
You are so right, but we live in a society where what a person wants comes ahead of everything else.

Driving and talking or texting while holding a cell phone is very dangerous and should have a higher penalty than just speeding at 10 miles over the limit.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:25 AM

Thanks Veritasveritas for sending me the link. It answered my questions and was in general very informational.

For the rest of the guys, speaking of respect, please have respect for what this forum is about and what was being asked.
Instead of taking the time to educate yourselves and other people, you opted in to share opinions (even misinformation) which is remotely related to the question. You can always share opinions or create a thread about how cell phone laws need to be enforced or improved. But here you just wasted your time without adding any value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County