Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM

81 posts, read 331,972 times

Advertisements

I am driving myself crazy reading and re-reading everyone's posts about living in OC, trying to figure out where my family would fit best. We are immigrants from Eastern Europe. White race brunettes, liberal-democrats, master degrees, not much into sports but definitely into arts and culture. Would love to buy this summer in the $550.00-$700.00 range.
Our daughter will be starting high school , and would do best in an environment with great academics, progressive crowd, down-to-earth kids who would choose getting together for sports over doing drugs ( that kind of stuff).
I am at this point stuck between Irvine and Mission Viejo.
Any thgoughts and experiences will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you guys in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Hint: Down-to-earth and Irvine are seldom used in the same sentence... unless "not" is included.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anagrig View Post
I am driving myself crazy reading and re-reading everyone's posts about living in OC, trying to figure out where my family would fit best. We are immigrants from Eastern Europe. White race brunettes, liberal-democrats, master degrees, not much into sports but definitely into arts and culture. Would love to buy this summer in the $550.00-$700.00 range.
Our daughter will be starting high school , and would do best in an environment with great academics, progressive crowd, down-to-earth kids who would choose getting together for sports over doing drugs ( that kind of stuff).
Where are your jobs?

Pope John Paul II Polish Center

Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,855 times
Anaheim Hills (Canyon High School). Not liberal/progressive, but people aren't pushy with their politics here and it is fairly laid back (by the way, there are only 4 cities in OC that are Liberal [have more Dem's than Rep's] - Stanton, Buena Park, Santa Ana, and Laguna Beach - 3 of which you wouldn't want to live in if you aren't hispanic).

Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 PM

81 posts, read 331,972 times

Thanks, guys. I'll check the Anaheim hills, and also the link to the Polish center! Every bit of info really helps.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 AM

10 posts, read 46,554 times
I lived in irvine my whole life, im 25 now. If you can afford living in irvine, then that should be your first pick,,,i went to high school there, and it's great + UC Irvine's right there if your daughter ends up going to that school. Mission viejo is great city as well, a bit more affordable. Both great cities, very safe.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:12 PM

239 posts, read 711,283 times
Look in to Costa Mesa; My daughter had friends in the neighborhood from Poland, Italy, all over. Two of her friends went to Polish school every Saturday and loved it. West side and East side Costa Mesa would both be great for you.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,462 times
If you are educated, liberal, and like arts...there isn't any place for you in OC except Laguna Beach! But...your price range doesn't look like it would work there. My friend is renting a small (200 sq ft) studio in LB and it is $1000/month. And on the other end, you won't find many down to earth kids in OC at all...have you thought about San Francisco, Austin, or Madison? You are very much like my family and I can say, I don't think you would fit in anywhere here comfortably for any given period of time. Sorry. :-/

Quote:

Old 05-31-2009, 05:25 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,462 times
Ahhh now reading further I see you are from Poland...my best friend, Agnieszka, moved here to Lake Forest in 8th grade with her family...they hated it so much, neither of the kids ever fit in or made many friends. I'd suggest finding other polish in the US who are similar in beliefs to you and find out where they have found the most comfortable places to live.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
I don't think you would "fit in" with the "Newport" crowd as it has a history of being elitist. However Irvine and Mission Viejo relatively safe and family friendly. Who knows though? If you come with an open mind and embrace your new environment, you could probably be happy. I've known a few Eastern Europeans who have adapted and are thriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County