Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM

49 posts, read 106,514 times

Advertisements

I live in a suburb of Seattle where the average rent for a studio is 1,000-1,300. I rent a room out of a home, thats all I can afford and all I can afford for quite some time. Until I move into an apartment with a friend, or boyfriend.

Can I just live exactly the way I live here, but in CA? I'm talking a suburb of Anaheim. I don't see why not?
And have it be as safe too. I just checked my area on spotcrime including a BUNCH of areas in CA and they are pretty much the same.

I work at Whole Foods, so I was thinking of transferring to the store in Tustin or nearby. Reasons being weather really. And Disneyland is a bonus.

I'm very good with my money, I manage to save a big chunk out of every paycheck. by the way, I make 12.35 and I imagine that would go down if I move to CA because of the lower minimum wage.

This is probably the wrong discussion board to post this in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Check it out yourself:

https://www.padmapper.com/?lat=33.83...ng=0&maxTime=0

Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 AM

Thank you, but this doesn't apply to me. At all. That is why I started this discussion, because I will be renting a room out of a home. Just like I do where I live now. So I don't see why I can't just live as comfortably here as in somewhere in CA. I was just wondering if anyone has any input, maybe there is something that I'm not seeing that a California native would.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valgal123 View Post
Thank you, but this doesn't apply to me. At all. That is why I started this discussion, because I will be renting a room out of a home. Just like I do where I live now. So I don't see why I can't just live as comfortably here as in somewhere in CA. I was just wondering if anyone has any input, maybe there is something that I'm not seeing that a California native would.

That tool can be configured to show rooms for rent. It would help you because 1) you can see what the prices are, and 2) you can see what you could be getting for that budget.

Here's your question: "Can I just live exactly the way I live here, but in CA?"

The answer is pretty much yes because with the exception of housing (and maybe gas prices) the costs of living are about the same. In fact, people probably spend less on heating fuel and air conditioning. However, rental/lease rates drive up prices for goods and services. A hair cut place has higher rent so that rent is passed on to you.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:37 AM

123 posts, read 260,148 times
Quote:
I live in a suburb of Seattle where the average rent for a studio is 1,000-1,300. I rent a room out of a home, thats all I can afford and all I can afford for quite some time. Until I move into an apartment with a friend, or boyfriend.

Can I just live exactly the way I live here, but in CA? I'm talking a suburb of Anaheim. I don't see why not?
And have it be as safe too. I just checked my area on spotcrime including a BUNCH of areas in CA and they are pretty much the same.

I work at Whole Foods, so I was thinking of transferring to the store in Tustin or nearby. Reasons being weather really. And Disneyland is a bonus.

I'm very good with my money, I manage to save a big chunk out of every paycheck. by the way, I make 12.35 and I imagine that would go down if I move to CA because of the lower minimum wage.

This is probably the wrong discussion board to post this in.
Is it really that expensive to live in Seattle nowadays?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:46 PM

the rent here is pretty high, for apartments I mean. I check rooms for rent on craigslist all the time for any place I would consider living. Anyway, thank you, I didn't think of the rent is higher for hair salon so its then passed on to me. got it

Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times
Quote:
the rent here is pretty high, for apartments I mean. I check rooms for rent on craigslist all the time for any place I would consider living. Anyway, thank you, I didn't think of the rent is higher for hair salon so its then passed on to me. got it
actually, i'm not sure if that was a good example. lots of hair salons rent their chairs out to the hairdressers but the hairdressers certainly have to stay competitive. i think you can manage california and if i were you i would go! i was always pretty broke in california but i've been even poorer since i left. much more opportunity there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County