Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Corvallis or Eugne
Corvallis 3 50.00%
Eugene 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM

256 posts, read 541,182 times

Advertisements

Just moved back home to the Pacific Northwest and chose Renton as my starting point because there was a nice temporary place for Job and stuff. I like Renton but Oregon is my place and I looked throughout Washington and Oregon and even though I love both Oregon seems slighty better for Me.

I Grew up in Corvallis and lived in Eugene for a little bit and those are my top 2 choices. My thought is Eugene has more places to shop and grow opportunity but I have some allergies and Eugene with the Seed Grass and other stuff could be a problem.

Corvallis I grew up in and with the locals markets I love it. I concerned about shopping because growing up you had to drive to get to major shopping. Another thing I like about Corvallis is it is close to Waldport and Newport which I love as well.

It is hard to Choose because Eugene has a big city feel and after living in Seattle/Renton I came to adapt to. Corvallis though Has the coast and it always has a soft spot in my heart. But Corvallis feels so much smaller again because I was spoiled with big city life.

I am doing a at home job so jobs are not the issue =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
I don't think there are many people who would choose Eugene over Corvallis if they had a completely free choice. Some would go for Eugene because there are better employment prospects there. Corvallis is a much more bicycle/pedestrian-friendly environment than Eugene. Though smaller, Corvallis has most of what Eugene has. Eugene doesn't have the kind of urbane vibe that Seattle or Portland has; it's just a medium-sized city with a larger residential base. What it does have, though, is a significant population of vagrants and shifty characters, something that is much less a problem in Corvallis. For a city of its size, Corvallis has a remarkable array of eating and shopping options. How many towns of 55,000 people have a Market of Choice and a Trader Joe's? It takes less than an hour to drive the 47 miles from Corvallis to Eugene, so if there's a concert or a restaurant in Eugene that appeals to you, it's easy enough to zip down there.

Still, if you've grown up in Corvallis, the been-there-done-that factor might loom large. There's a lot of truth to the saying "you can never go home again." The Corvallis of today isn't exactly the Corvallis you grew up in. The loss of Tanner's and Ritchey's Market, for example, has taken some of that hometown flavor away from Corvallis. Eugene and Corvallis are both nice spots. Settling in either one will give you ample opportunity to enjoy the other.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
The grass is grown in and around Corvallis, not Eugene. Lane County has all but eliminated seed grass farming. It is mostly Linn and Benton counties now.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
If you are reasonably mobile (not going to buy a house, for example), you might consider moving to one, but visiting the other regularly. Then in a couple of years, if you change your mind, you could move again.

If I were going to do this, I would choose Corvallis and visit Eugene.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Not many available rentals in Corvallis. Good for landlords, not so good for renters.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 PM

281 posts, read 712,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I don't think there are many people who would choose Eugene over Corvallis if they had a completely free choice. Some would go for Eugene because there are better employment prospects there. Corvallis is a much more bicycle/pedestrian-friendly environment than Eugene. Though smaller, Corvallis has most of what Eugene has. Eugene doesn't have the kind of urbane vibe that Seattle or Portland has; it's just a medium-sized city with a larger residential base. What it does have, though, is a significant population of vagrants and shifty characters, something that is much less a problem in Corvallis. For a city of its size, Corvallis has a remarkable array of eating and shopping options. How many towns of 55,000 people have a Market of Choice and a Trader Joe's? It takes less than an hour to drive the 47 miles from Corvallis to Eugene, so if there's a concert or a restaurant in Eugene that appeals to you, it's easy enough to zip down there.

Still, if you've grown up in Corvallis, the been-there-done-that factor might loom large. There's a lot of truth to the saying "you can never go home again." The Corvallis of today isn't exactly the Corvallis you grew up in. The loss of Tanner's and Ritchey's Market, for example, has taken some of that hometown flavor away from Corvallis. Eugene and Corvallis are both nice spots. Settling in either one will give you ample opportunity to enjoy the other.
There's 156,000 people who chose Eugene over Corvallis, that's 100,000 more than chose Corvallis over Eugene. That's not including the metro area, which is roughly 350,000, and I've never in my entire life of living in Eugene met anyone who said they would rather live in Corvallis, ever.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 AM

927 posts, read 1,946,821 times
If mobility isn't an issue, try Junction City. You can visit either Corvallis or Eugene at will with no more issue than spending a few bucks on gas.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
There's 156,000 people who chose Eugene over Corvallis, that's 100,000 more than chose Corvallis over Eugene. That's not including the metro area, which is roughly 350,000,
That's ridiculous. Less than 5% of the population is in a position to freely choose to live anywhere based on lifestyle considerations. Most people live where they live for employment-dependent or family-dependent reasons. The mere fact that someone lives in a given city cannot be taken to imply that they wouldn't rather live somewhere else if they had their druthers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
and I've never in my entire life of living in Eugene met anyone who said they would rather live in Corvallis, ever.
You haven't met many people, then. In the 13 years I lived in Corvallis I met lots of ex-Eugenians who made considerable sacrifices to make the move to Corvallis.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 PM

281 posts, read 712,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
That's ridiculous. Less than 5% of the population is in a position to freely choose to live anywhere based on lifestyle considerations. Most people live where they live for employment-dependent or family-dependent reasons. The mere fact that someone lives in a given city cannot be taken to imply that they wouldn't rather live somewhere else if they had their druthers.

You haven't met many people, then. In the 13 years I lived in Corvallis I met lots of ex-Eugenians who made considerable sacrifices to make the move to Corvallis.
Sorry, after reading your initial post I thought we were making broad sweeping generalizations about people we don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon