Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,376 times

Advertisements

I ve been living in San Fransisco for 6 months and I get sick 3 times. Weather in SF is crazy. In a day it changes 3 times, not predictable and forecast often not accurate. Wind in SF is cold and like ice touch my bones. I lived in South Calif before. Because of job, I move to SF. My boss offers me a position at our branch in portland. Anybody had lived in Portland and SF and know the difference how windy Portland compared to SF? Is it cold wind in portland just like in SF? I only know wind in South Calif is friendly and not cold at all. I can stand rain, but not cold wind above 12 mph, it makes me sick. Any information for me, please? Thank u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 04:40 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,148 times
San Francisco is WAY warmer than Portland. You would hate it here if you are freezing in SF.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:24 PM

Hi. Thank you.
Absolutely you re right. I can stand cold weather but not windy weather. I took vacation in winter to Idaho with no cough issue. But if it is WINDY, the wind is cool, I can not. Do u know about windy stuff in portland?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indo1105 View Post
I ve been living in San Fransisco for 6 months and I get sick 3 times. Weather in SF is crazy. In a day it changes 3 times, not predictable and forecast often not accurate. Wind in SF is above 12 MPH and cool wind. I lived in South Calif before. Because of job, I move to SF. My boss offers me a position at our branch in portland. Anybody had lived in Portland and SF and know the difference how windy Portland compared to SF? Is it very windy in portland just like in SF? I only know wind in South Calif is friendly and not cool at all. Im okay with rain, but not cool wind above 12 mph, it makes me sick. Any information for me, please? Thank u
The underline is all about Wind, not cold weather

Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Portland sits at the mouth of the Columbia Gorge, which is one of the most reliably windy places in North America. In the winter, a freezing wind can blow down the gorge toward Portland that will cut you to the bone. East Portland is particularly bad, but the whole city feels the effects. Portland is also colder and rainier than SF, though there is less fog.

Buy a wind breaker and stay where you are.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:15 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
The winds rarely blow down the gorge, they mostly blow up it.

And I'd say you're wrong in your characterization. Gresham. Corbett, Troutdale, they're affected by the Gorge winds. "East Portland" isn't, nor is the rest of the city. Except upon rare occasions.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:07 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

And I'd say you're wrong in your characterization. Gresham. Corbett, Troutdale, they're affected by the Gorge winds. "East Portland" isn't, nor is the rest of the city. Except upon rare occasions.
Depends on what you think 'east portland' is, given that the term is used so loosely it basically covers what, 75 square miles?

In the northeast corner (say east of 205 and north of Halsey) you can definitely feel the gorge winds most places you go. A bit less stiff than Wood Village, but much more than downtown Gresham.

If you're talking about the Hollywood district, then sure, you won't really feel the winds much there.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:25 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Well, East Portland is anything east of the river. To claim that the entire area of "East Portland" is quite windy is just incorrect.

I think it's safe to say that the Gorge winds affect anything directly along the gorge. And anywhere else in town .... rarely.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 PM

726 posts, read 1,366,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Well, East Portland is anything east of the river. To claim that the entire area of "East Portland" is quite windy is just incorrect.

I think it's safe to say that the Gorge winds affect anything directly along the gorge. And anywhere else in town .... rarely.
I agree with this. You don't really feel the effects of the Gorge in Portland that much, if ever. Also, I don't think it has been pointed out that Portland is quite a bit inland, about 1.5-2 hours from the coast, unlike San Francisco which is right on the coast, outer coast. For this reason, there is far less wind overall in Portland than in windy San Francisco. Also, Portland has more in the way of seasons than does San Francisco. You get a real winter and a real summer in Portland. There's more fall foliage too. The winters are mild compared to areas in the northeast, midwest, and far northern states. However, you do get snow sometimes and some fleece and ice. Some winters are worse than others. Same with summers. It can pop into the 80's in Portland most years and in some years upper 90's but that is not every year. At any rate, it can get hot in Portland... not deep south hot but hot. This is all due to the fact it is far enough inland to the east of the coastal range, unlike anyplace, like San Francisco, that sits right on the coast.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Come up and spend a weekend or so in Portland and see for yourself.

San Francisco has that damp fog thing going on that can be unpleasant. I don't care for San Francisco, but there is no way for anyone to guess which weather you will prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon