Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:13 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I posted this on the Idaho forum but only got one response.
Maybe i'll have more luck here.
I'm in Blaine County (Idaho, Wood River Valley ... Ketchum / Sun Valley) for a few weeks for family and then i want to do a detour / road-trip on my way back to California.
I want to visit the Wallowa Valley in Oregon and then visit Ashland before i head home.
Assuming 20 from Blaine County to Boise area is clear, what should i do from there?
I'm having a difficult time finding an on-line road map of both western Idaho and eastern Oregon.
I'll get a "real" map when i go out today (hours later .... didn't make it out the door today) but trying to figure things out now.
Am i crazy to do this trip now and to think that i can get to Joseph, OR in the winter?
Is there a passability issue? If so, where and what's that like?
Any guidance, tips, advice, etc. will be much appreciated.

I'm an experienced driver on ice and snow and have an all wheel drive. The one response on the Idaho forum thought that was an important piece of information which i suppose it is. I don't worry about my driving ... it's others that concern me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:29 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
You would take I-84 to La Grande, OR and then drive on Rt 82 to Joseph. Route 82 is well maintained.

https://goo.gl/maps/S3CApeCpzv32

Then you would drive back to La Grande, take I-84 west to I-5 and then drive down to Ashland.

It's a lot of miles and doable, not really a tough drive, unless there is a major snow storm.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
You would take I-84 to La Grande, OR and then drive on Rt 82 to Joseph. Route 82 is well maintained.

https://goo.gl/maps/S3CApeCpzv32

Then you would drive back to La Grande, take I-84 west to I-5 and then drive down to Ashland.

It's a lot of miles and doable, not really a tough drive, unless there is a major snow storm.

Thank you.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:24 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Sure, you can get there. But what are you going to do there? I think the trip would be much nicer in the Spring when you can actually get to the cool trails in the Wallowas, etc... If you try to go on any of the hikes, the snow level will get too deep around 4500 feet or so. I guess you could snow-shoe it.

If you're just looking for scenic drives, yes there are maintained roads. Unless it's a snow/ice storm, you should be able to get around.

I might recommend Baker City for actually having a few things you could do during winter.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:51 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Maybe OP is considering moving from California to Oregon and wants to take a quick look at areas they are considering. Or they want to stop in and say hi to family. The location choice doesn't make a lot of sense, otherwise.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Sure, you can get there. But what are you going to do there? I think the trip would be much nicer in the Spring when you can actually get to the cool trails in the Wallowas, etc... If you try to go on any of the hikes, the snow level will get too deep around 4500 feet or so. I guess you could snow-shoe it.

If you're just looking for scenic drives, yes there are maintained roads. Unless it's a snow/ice storm, you should be able to get around.

I might recommend Baker City for actually having a few things you could do during winter.
I've wanted to see the Wallowa Valley for many years. It's just one of those places that i want to see. And Ashland is a place that i've thought may be good for me if i decide to leave California.

So, though it would be nice if it was June, i'm in a situation now where it's feasible for me to do it as long as the roads are safe.

And oregonwoodsmoke i'm not sure what you mean when you say, "The location choice doesn't make a lot of sense, otherwise."

Old 02-02-2016, 08:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
You'll be fine, unless, as noted previously, the weather turns bad. I'd watch out for elk on Rt. 82 and probably try to avoid driving at night on that road -- elk are everywhere and more active at nightfall/night/dawn. Stop at the Lostine Tavern for good food and ambiance if you get the chance.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:25 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I've wanted to see the Wallowa Valley for many years. It's just one of those places that i want to see. And Ashland is a place that i've thought may be good for me if i decide to leave California.

So, though it would be nice if it was June, i'm in a situation now where it's feasible for me to do it as long as the roads are safe.................
Although it's not the ideal time of year, there is no reason not to do it if you don't mind the driving distance.

Once you get in Oregon a ways, the drive on I-84 to La Grande is picturesque.

If you had time, you could stop at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center near Baker City.

Oregon Trail Interpretive Center Oregon/Washington BLM

After Joseph, the drive on I-84 from La Grande to Pendleton is nice. Then it's a sort of flat but becomes nice again when you reach the Columbia River Gorge.

Make sure you stop by Multnomah Falls, the parking is right off the Interstate.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:19 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
........And oregonwoodsmoke i'm not sure what you mean when you say, "The location choice doesn't make a lot of sense, otherwise."
Just that the two points are so distant from each other and usually if someone is doing nothing but playing tourist, they would choose more touristy spots as their goal.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You'll be fine, unless, as noted previously, the weather turns bad. I'd watch out for elk on Rt. 82 and probably try to avoid driving at night on that road -- elk are everywhere and more active at nightfall/night/dawn. Stop at the Lostine Tavern for good food and ambiance if you get the chance.
Yes. Elk. I've spent a lot of time in Idaho and because of elk i tend to avoid driving at night.
A friend of a friend, some years ago, hit an elk on his motorcycle. He's a young man but now in a nursing home totally paralyzed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon