Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 03:43 AM

213 posts, read 522,684 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Besides Zillow, Trulia, and Craigslist (which is known for scams), are there any legitimate sites to search for homes for sale and/or for rent by owner? Rent-to-own options? I recently came across a rent-to-own option which would have been perfect, but I came across it too late (via Craigslist), and thought I would check into the option a little more. I've heard horror stories about rent-to-own, at the same time, I have relatives that bought a really nice house via rent-to-own. I think it's worth looking into.

Thanks in advance!

Update to add why I'm looking at this option: I left Oregon over a decade ago due to domestic violence. I'm now in a place where I feel I will be safe returning, however, the prices of rentals and homes have gone through the roof since I've been gone. I will be staying with a relative (with any luck, not for long), and going to school full-time (at least initially). I will have what I make from the sale of my house, and great credit. I feel I will have better luck dealing with an owner rather than a property management company.

Last edited by oregonchickfan; 05-05-2017 at 04:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 07:06 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
There is no reason for rent-to-own or for rent by owner would be any cheaper. In fact, rent-to-own houses are always priced noticeably over market value because typically the buyer has no other options, being unable to obtain a standard mortgage.

In a real estate market where houses sell really quickly, the is no motivation to offer a rent-to-own, unless the seller intends to take the buyer's money and not really sell the house.

There are lots of rentals by owner. They advertise where they advertise, mostly on Craigslist but there is no reason to put into an ad that it is a rental by owner. In fact, there is a disincentive to advertise that it is a rental by owner, due to the tenant belief that it is easy to trick an owner/ landlord into accepting people with evictions, bankruptcies, low income, or bad references. If you advertise that you are a private landlord it brings out every loser and scammer in the three county area.

But for either option that you are seeking, you just have to keep watching the Craigslist and Zillow ads.

While we are on the subject, for those who don't know, FSBO (For Sale By Owner) does not mean the same thing as "owner carry" or rent-to-own. All it means is that an agent is not involved. It doesn't mean the seller will provide a private mortgage for you.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:42 AM

Thank you, OWS.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,733 posts, read 58,090,525 times
If you have connections in the area, have them 'network' for you.

I NEVER advertise 'Rentals', they only go to personal referrals.

Too big of a risk to advertise and show a rental. Besides... if you wait till it's empty, you lose at minimum a month's income. The banks don't take kindly to that. It really reduces your ability to resell if you have a long vacancy and less revenue.

If you don't have connections, then 'network' where you are able. I refer people to friends who rent guest homes and apartments in their Garage / shop.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:16 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Incidentally, I just drove by a "for sale by owner" sign that was going through a "for sale by owner" website. There are at least three of those websites with nationwide coverage, if you want to google.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you have connections in the area, have them 'network' for you.

I NEVER advertise 'Rentals', they only go to personal referrals.

Too big of a risk to advertise and show a rental. Besides... if you wait till it's empty, you lose at minimum a month's income. The banks don't take kindly to that. It really reduces your ability to resell if you have a long vacancy and less revenue.

If you don't have connections, then 'network' where you are able. I refer people to friends who rent guest homes and apartments in their Garage / shop.
I'll be staying with a relative outside of Madras. I do have people in the area keeping an ear to the ground. The last one I heard about was gone by the time my friend got back into town (a weekater, which seems to be the new norm).

Old 05-06-2017, 11:42 PM

Thanks again, OWS. I'll do just that.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is no reason for rent-to-own or for rent by owner would be any cheaper. In fact, rent-to-own houses are always priced noticeably over market value because typically the buyer has no other options, being unable to obtain a standard mortgage.

In a real estate market where houses sell really quickly, the is no motivation to offer a rent-to-own, unless the seller intends to take the buyer's money and not really sell the house.

There are lots of rentals by owner. They advertise where they advertise, mostly on Craigslist but there is no reason to put into an ad that it is a rental by owner. In fact, there is a disincentive to advertise that it is a rental by owner, due to the tenant belief that it is easy to trick an owner/ landlord into accepting people with evictions, bankruptcies, low income, or bad references. If you advertise that you are a private landlord it brings out every loser and scammer in the three county area.

But for either option that you are seeking, you just have to keep watching the Craigslist and Zillow ads.

While we are on the subject, for those who don't know, FSBO (For Sale By Owner) does not mean the same thing as "owner carry" or rent-to-own. All it means is that an agent is not involved. It doesn't mean the seller will provide a private mortgage for you.
Rent to own is a great deal for the seller. There are two ways to scam the buyer. The first way is to require 10% down. They have bad credit or they would be borrowing from a bank. When they get behind on payments, just evict them and pocket the cash. The other angle is to require larger rent and a balloon payment at the end, typically after 5 or 10 years. If they succeed in getting conventional financing, you get your money. If they fail, you pocket their extra rent payments and do it again. I know a guy who has sold the same house five times, and recouped 80% of what he paid for the place.

The person to talk to about owner financing is a lawyer. If the owner wants to provide a trust deed and note (mortgage) that's fine. Otherwise, keep looking. A simple purchase contract gives you no more rights than a renter.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,733 posts, read 58,090,525 times
for rentals, look at Padmapper.

By 'networking' you will find stuff that will come vacant in 1-2 months.

Once it is advertised, it is GONE.

If I do have a vacancy, I put out a sign on the road. It will be gone in <one day. (has been that way for 30 yrs in PNW) Never enough time to "publish" in the paper.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
for rentals, look at Padmapper.

By 'networking' you will find stuff that will come vacant in 1-2 months.

Once it is advertised, it is GONE.

If I do have a vacancy, I put out a sign on the road. It will be gone in <one day. (has been that way for 30 yrs in PNW) Never enough time to "publish" in the paper.
I've been gone for just over a decade, and prior to moving, I owned my house, so I haven't had to deal with this since '99. Lol. I'm a bit out of the loop.

I'm also looking at Richland, WA and Nampa, ID. Nampa seems to be more affordable, but I wouldn't be any closer (milage wise) to my family than what I'm leaving in Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: