Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 03:07 PM

456 posts, read 1,499,896 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I will be spending some vacation time in Or and would like to see some other area of the state besides the Coast. We will be leaving the Newport area and heading to Crater lake on our way back to Az. I want to avoid driving on I5 so I am planning on driving on Rt 20 to the Sisters area, spending a full day in that area and then on to Crater lake.

I am looking for decent budget camping place to stay for 2 nights somewhere in the Sisters area. (Truck and 18' trailer) and I would like some suggestions.

Also, suggestions for things to do/see along the route? Sisters is just a spot I picked on the map, I am open to different routes to Crater lake that would be scenic and or have interesting things to do. Easy hikes, waterfalls, historical homes, museums, etc. I found some info on Proxy falls near sisters, as an example of what we like.

Also, same questions, headed south from Crater lake towards 395 in Cali
Thanks!

Last edited by curly5759; 07-04-2018 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: question added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 08:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Improved campgrounds (showers, hookups, dump station, fire rings) are typically by reservation, and you don't say when you will be going. Get your reservations in now. Oregon State Parks are your place to start. After that, there are BLM campgrounds, which rarely have electricity or water, often no toilets, so you need to be prepared for FSC living. The BLM web site will direct you to those. Any place there are national forests there will be USFS campgrounds too. Accessibility will depend on fire conditions, so in mid-summer they may be closed. I don't recall seeing any KOA or other private campgrounds, but they are probably around.

If worst comes to worst, offer a rancher $50 to park overnight in his pasture.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:55 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
Hi, my wife and I will be spending some vacation time in Or and would like to see some other area of the state besides the Coast. We will be leaving the Newport area and heading to Crater lake on our way back to Az. I want to avoid driving on I5 so I am planning on driving on Rt 20 to the Sisters area, spending a full day in that area and then on to Crater lake.

I am looking for decent budget camping place to stay for 2 nights somewhere in the Sisters area. (Truck and 18' trailer) and I would like some suggestions.

Also, suggestions for things to do/see along the route? Sisters is just a spot I picked on the map, I am open to different routes to Crater lake that would be scenic and or have interesting things to do. Easy hikes, waterfalls, historical homes, museums, etc. I found some info on Proxy falls near sisters, as an example of what we like.

Also, same questions, headed south from Crater lake towards 395 in Cali
Thanks!
I can't give you any specific suggestions, but I can tell you, you won't be disappointed in that area. There are dozens of campgrounds around Sisters, from RV parks to small campground in the parks. Whatever you want I think you will find it. This article should give you some ideas to get started.

5 Oregon campgrounds near stunning and easy hikes

Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 AM

29 posts, read 135,576 times
This time of year you'll need reservations for a campsite for just about everywhere. Oregonians are HUGE outdoors folks and just about everyone has some form of RV / camping setup.

I spend a lot of my time in the Camp Sherman area, just west of Sisters. Go here for reservations.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:22 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
For a beautiful place to stay near Sisters, look around the Metolius River/Camp Sherman area, there are great campsites there by a beautiful little river. They are USFS, so they don't have electricity or sewer, but there is a dump station just outside Sisters.

Metolius River Area - Hoodoo Recreation

There is also a state park (Tumalo) right outside Bend that is very pretty and very, very popular - sort of a problem out that way, it is a huge summer recreation area and somewhat crowded. There are also USFS campgrounds in Newberry Crater/Paulina Lake - again, not improved. I think there might be water at the sites there. A little further south there is La Pine State Park - some sites have full hookups, all sites have water, many have electricity, the campground has showers.

When you go up to Crater Lake, make sure to stop by the headwaters of the Rogue River, where it pops in and out of lava tubes. Just beautiful. There is camping at Diamond Lake and Crater Lake - only the private campground at Diamond Lake has any kind of hookups, the several USFS campgrounds at Diamond Lake don't. A little further down that road is Joseph Stewart/Lost Creek Lake, a state park with hookups and showers.

Those are just starting places, there are a ton of camping spots in the Cascades. As Larry mentioned, most of the camps are on reservations and Oregonians love to camp, the spots are usually reserved well in advance. SOME campgrounds hold a couple campsites back for first-come, first-serve, but not all.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-05-2018, 08:51 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
The city if Sisters has a nice rv park in one of the city parks at the south east edge of town. Most likely you would need reservations.

There are several commercial rv parks in Sisters.

Sisters is surrounded by national forest which is full of primitive campsites. There are several on the road to Three Creeks, but be aware, no amount of effort can keep that road graded and it can be rough.

Sisters is fun, full of nice little shops and good places to eat. The location is beautiful.

Just before you get to Sisters ( maybe 20 miles?) Is the turnoff to the headwaters of the Metolius. There are several campgrounds along that road and the actual headwaters is a beautiful photogenic place.

Tumalo State park, closer to Bend is a good central location, with a nice river view and in the day use area is a Sandy beach on the river for wading. You will most certainly need reservations.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:43 PM

862 posts, read 1,063,299 times
I'll put in a plug for the campground at Williamson River, on the way to K Falls. Walk across the highway to a rather large logging museum.
We had a great stay there, though the river wasn't flowing much.
The raptor center, south of Bend was terrific.

Last edited by wolfdog; 07-05-2018 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-06-2018, 11:16 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
I'll put in a plug for the campground at Williamson River, on the way to K Falls. Walk across the highway to a rather large logging museum.
We had a great stay there, though the river wasn't flowing much.
The raptor center, south of Bend was terrific.
Collier Campground - there is also an unimproved USFS campground further down the gravel road at the entry. Collier has showers. The stream that goes under the highway is spring-fed and is always very cold - if you stand at the bridge and then go down the path under the highway, the temp usually drops about 15°. The Williamson has been low for quite awhile now due to the drought.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-06-2018, 03:05 PM

456 posts, read 1,499,896 times
Thank you for the replies so far! I did forget to mention we will be in that area the 2nd week of Sept. We are hoping some of the crowds will be gone by then.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:08 PM

862 posts, read 1,063,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Collier Campground - there is also an unimproved USFS campground further down the gravel road at the entry. Collier has showers. The stream that goes under the highway is spring-fed and is always very cold - if you stand at the bridge and then go down the path under the highway, the temp usually drops about 15°. The Williamson has been low for quite awhile now due to the drought.
That's it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon