Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:06 PM

497 posts, read 484,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie005 View Post
It's terrible that Oregon has such strict laws and enforcement. Right now I'm down by Cave Junction in Southern Oregon and I get the feeling it's a rare place that is pretty let loose. I can't believe you can't camp on your own land, even with wheels under you. That's incredible and extremely sad. I've got 50k to use but I'm a joke. Wow.

I find it interesting that you can't buy a piece of land in a rural area and do with it as you please. But in most cities, you can put a mobile home in a neighborhood with regular houses. Build apartments, townhomes and the like just about anywhere you can find a vacant lot. The city zoning laws in this state seem to be written by Sanford and Son, but rurally you have to abide by stricter rules?
I admit I don't know much about zoning laws, but where I live it seems like chaos is the general rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 10:21 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I find it interesting that you can't buy a piece of land in a rural area and do with it as you please. But in most cities, you can put a mobile home in a neighborhood with regular houses. Build apartments, townhomes and the like just about anywhere you can find a vacant lot. The city zoning laws in this state seem to be written by Sanford and Son, but rurally you have to abide by stricter rules?
I admit I don't know much about zoning laws, but where I live it seems like chaos is the general rule.
Pretty much nothing about this statement is true. Yes you can drive around most cities and find derelict mobile homes and trashy apartments. But mostly they are old "grandfathered" structures from decades ago. There are no cities where today you can do any of the things you list without going through a long series of zoning and permit requirements.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:42 PM

861 posts, read 1,063,024 times
Yep. Counties have Planning Departments and Planning Commissions.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
You might want to look into renting camping spaces on AirBnB. When I lived in Crescent City, CA, I became aware of someone who had property out towards Gasquet, just outside of Crescent City, who rented camping spaces on AirBnB and he had quite a business going.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:56 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You might want to look into renting camping spaces on AirBnB. When I lived in Crescent City, CA, I became aware of someone who had property out towards Gasquet, just outside of Crescent City, who rented camping spaces on AirBnB and he had quite a business going.
How much did the septic system, well, power and driveways cost? I can't imagine being able to buy property and develop a campground for under $200k. Sanitary facilities alone would cost a bundle, and at a minimum you would need power to run the well pump.

Developing rural property is not cheap. Assuming you can find a buildable lot, it's going to cost over $100k, with another $50k to $100k to drill a well, bring in power, build a driveway, and install a septic system. That's why five acres with a shacky old mobile home costs over $200,000.

I have a friend who just listed a 5 acre, reasonably flat building lot with paved frontage outside Wolf Creek for $140,000, and she'll get it. I assume anything in the Gorge or on Mt. Hood would be even more expensive. The $50,000 was what I thought was funny. You can do anything if you throw enough money at it, but my off-the-wall guesstimate for that project would be around half a million.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I find it interesting that you can't buy a piece of land in a rural area and do with it as you please.
You can do exactly that in parts of Alaska -- no building codes in much of the unincorporated borough. It shows, too. If people can do anything they want on their own land, some of them invariably will. There are places within a mile from my home that look like Third World slums.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
How much did the septic system, well, power and driveways cost? I can't imagine being able to buy property and develop a campground for under $200k. Sanitary facilities alone would cost a bundle, and at a minimum you would need power to run the well pump.

Developing rural property is not cheap. Assuming you can find a buildable lot, it's going to cost over $100k, with another $50k to $100k to drill a well, bring in power, build a driveway, and install a septic system. That's why five acres with a shacky old mobile home costs over $200,000.

I have a friend who just listed a 5 acre, reasonably flat building lot with paved frontage outside Wolf Creek for $140,000, and she'll get it. I assume anything in the Gorge or on Mt. Hood would be even more expensive. The $50,000 was what I thought was funny. You can do anything if you throw enough money at it, but my off-the-wall guesstimate for that project would be around half a million.
This is not a developed campground. Off grid, outhouse, solar outdoor shower. I found their ad:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2636707...tes&s=VjbruIER

Check out other campsites listed on AirBnB. Some people even put a big tent in their driveway and fill it with a bed and furniture and call it glamping.

No need for anything fancy. And apparently, if you build it they will come.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:37 PM

Depends on where you build it. You can't just buy property and throw up a substandard campground on it in most places, and many areas don't allow driveway camping. What an awful thing to do to your neighbors, renting out a tent in your driveway to who knows who from the internet.

AirbnB has gotten out of control with its illegal listings.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-06-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Depends on where you build it. You can't just buy property and throw up a substandard campground on it in most places, and many areas don't allow driveway camping. What an awful thing to do to your neighbors, renting out a tent in your driveway to who knows who from the internet.

AirbnB has gotten out of control with its illegal listings.
Yeah, I wonder how many cities/counties have started checking AirBnB listings to bust people.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yeah, I wonder how many cities/counties have started checking AirBnB listings to bust people.
Apparently, lots of them are, all over this country and others. Smart property owners are backing away from AirbnBs these days unless they can completely comply with local regs. It's not only city/community officials "checking listings," but neighbors who are sick and tired of constant traffic and noise.

I'd have Code Enforcement over so fast if I saw a tent full of temporary renters in any of my neighbor's driveways or backyards.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/23/unwe...m-rentals.html

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...rnment-illegal

https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/03...on-law/556397/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon