Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:31 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times

Advertisements

Baker City gets about one thread per year but hasn't had one yet this year, so here goes.

Looking at the faces of Baker City's City Council, they appear more diverse in gender and age than for LaGrande. Is this current happenstance or typical and does it make a difference in the city's operations and priorities?

Any major new stores /employers in last few years or on horizon?

For hiking in Elkhorns, are trails generally snowfree in June, earlier or later? How about in Oct. / Nov.?

What is a realistic travel time to Boise city center on weekends? 2hrs, 2.5, or more?

What major advantage do you think Baker City has over LaGrande? Besides EOU in LaGrande, what is the biggest disadvantage for Baker?

Is gardening tougher in Baker? I know it is a lot drier but does that make the soil less productive even with irrigation / hand watering?

I have heard Baker City's tourism pitch. Is it noticeably more oriented toward tourism development as a future industry than LaGrande?

True or not true, Baker City has a lower% of new arrivals from out of state?

Most surprising thing about Baker is...?

In your opinion, what types of small businesses does Baker City need and would likely adequately support?

Better simple description of future outlook: stagnant or slow improvement?

Nicest neighborhoods in what quadrant(s) of city?

LDS member economic and political influence is modest, moderate or larger than any other group?

I know that in the past, few locals have been available to respond. But thanks to any long-timers, newcomers, past residents or near neighbors who respond to this baker's dozen of questions. Commentary on anything else you think is important that been missed and previously would also be welcome.

I've been thru the area a handful of times and have gathered facts on the area before but thought I'd try to get a refresher and a bit more detail.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-26-2015 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 12:11 PM

125 posts, read 153,245 times
...maybe if that hadn't appeared as such a homework assignment ...there'd have been some answers

Hey, I'm considering a move from Yamhill County to Baker City, sniffed around some on these boards just prior to the above post, stopped briefly as I drove through - and have ended up (of all places) in Washington DC, visiting with a friend as she attempts to determine where in Oregon to retire. I tell ya, you latch onto a pool of folks like us... bringing outside assets in, and you might save some tourism dollars...

I'd also love to learn the answers to any of those questions, please

Old 09-17-2016, 09:00 PM

49 posts, read 46,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregone View Post
...maybe if that hadn't appeared as such a homework assignment ...there'd have been some answers

Hey, I'm considering a move from Yamhill County to Baker City, sniffed around some on these boards just prior to the above post, stopped briefly as I drove through - and have ended up (of all places) in Washington DC, visiting with a friend as she attempts to determine where in Oregon to retire. I tell ya, you latch onto a pool of folks like us... bringing outside assets in, and you might save some tourism dollars...

I'd also love to learn the answers to any of those questions, please
Lol sorry but the homework angle q angle was funny.

From my experience there is nothing in Baker. I did a stopover just to check in on my friend's tiny house build.
Rich's in Baker, he makes tiny homes that he ships on flatbeds.

otherwise why stop? Without a reason I mean.
Not being bitchy, that was my honest impression.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:02 PM

49 posts, read 46,074 times
Damn, sorry ...late reply, really late. Oops

Old 09-23-2016, 01:18 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,672 times
Default Baker City, More of a town really......

I've visited Baker City on and off over the years. I have a long time friend there. In the 80's I lived just east of there (Halfway)for about 18 months. If you desire larger city amenities pass (go to Boise.) If you enjoy the outdoors have a solid income stream and can handle cold dry winter its perfect.

Fishing and hunting top the list of activities for me in the area. Camping and hiking are great too. If you know the secret places there are loads of wild edible mushrooms. Growing season is short if you plan on growing any foods. On that note I have seen asparagus coming up through the snow in spring. I am not aware of the social situation, clubs or any of that. Pretty close knit from what I have seen. Baker City is not crime free either. Most folks do own guns from what I could tell. I have considered retiring there myself depending on how things go for the next few years.

Homes in town are not really cheap. The seem like great deals for folks in the city. There is a lot less of what you get in the city hence the price.

My plan would include buying a fixer and finishing it out the way I want it... Location, location, location...

Last bit of advice small towns have a certain social political order. Observe the situation for awhile before jumping in feet first.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:08 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Homework quality? Maybe. Nobody did it. But that was what I wanted to know more about, so that is what I asked. I didn't think I'd get targeted answers but gave a whirl anyways then. Still interested but I do what I can myself to gather information from local newspapers, etc.

People can also answer how they want, like Squidlo did. Thanks for that.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-04-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 11:51 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking and Hoping View Post
Lol sorry but the homework angle q angle was funny.

From my experience there is nothing in Baker. I did a stopover just to check in on my friend's tiny house build.
Rich's in Baker, he makes tiny homes that he ships on flatbeds.

otherwise why stop? Without a reason I mean.
Not being bitchy, that was my honest impression.
Ah, somebody else who remembers before they renamed Baker to Baker City.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:59 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,233 times
Well I must say the questions posed were great ones that I would also like to know. The answers in the thread were about as helpful as air conditioning in January. :/

Anyone that knows anything they'd like to share about the town would be great. I'm considering a possible move there. Not worried about night-life or the single's scene and would have a steady job. I am interested in how tweens might fare in the town and middle/high school. How disgusting crime/drugs are that affect the average town folk and how severe winters are..

Thanks to anyone in advance.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:11 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Well I must say the questions posed were great ones that I would also like to know. The answers in the thread were about as helpful as air conditioning in January. :/

So why should anyone bother? Many of the questions in the OP asked for some pretty specific information that even most long-term residents aren't going to have offhand, and most seemed focused on a comparison with LaGrande that I don't think any of the regular posters here can offer. No one really likes to be told that their sincere effort at answering a question here isn't "helpful." Maybe the Chamber of Commerce would be a better place to ask these sort of questions. At least they have people who are being paid for that, unlike City-Data.

Crime is minimal. Winters are cold. You can find crime and weather stats online easily enough.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-19-2017 at 12:21 AM..

Old 09-05-2017, 02:51 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So why should anyone bother? Many of the questions in the OP asked for some pretty specific information that even most long-term residents aren't going to have offhand, and most seemed focused on a comparison with LaGrande that I don't think any of the regular posters here can offer. No one really likes to be told that their sincere effort at answering a question here isn't "helpful." Maybe the Chamber of Commerce would be a better place to ask these sort of questions. At least they have people who are being paid for that, unlike City-Data.

Crime is minimal. Winters are cold. You can find crime and weather stats online easily enough.
Well, I seem to have gotten jammed up and offending, which was never my intention. I was trying to be funny and apparently failed. I didn't want to know EXACTLY what the OP asked, I merely meant when you have people FROM the town posting, I've found people open up and normally type more when asked a specific question. Certainly not ALL the questions and specifics, but for goodness sakes, no one is asking anything you should be paid for.

I know how to look up in Google. I know how to look up crime stats and temps. What I don't know are the "real" crime and weather and how those two effect people IN THE TOWN. Which is why I came on the board seeking answers to questions I didn't ask or the ones I did, with someone's personal perspective. Not a statistic that rarely answers the questions. I'm still interested in finding out about the town. IF there are no locals who answer on here, I guess I won't know unless I move there (other than what I can find online as you so nicely informed me.)

You all have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon