Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 02:50 AM
Status: "Positive change starts with admitting when one is wrong." (set 29 days ago)

32 posts, read 45,260 times

Advertisements

I've been seriously looking to retire in either Oregon, or Washington; and as I'm a male in my 60's, I don't want my next, and likely last residence to become a casualty of climate-change.

Regarding Ashland (an ironic geographic name if there was one), I've read about the large number of dead trees that are said to make the area highly fire-prone; and where summertime controlled-burns are now in competition with the economy's much-needed tourist trade.

So, I'm wondering if the fire-threat to Ashland is now at a level that moving there is a gamble? I ask, because I currently live within an easy drive to where California's, frightening Camp Fire happened, in 2018; and I'm aware of numerous families who still haven't been able to settle their insurance-claims – let alone recover from the psychological and financial stress of such a devastating event, and its aftermath.

Thanks for any advice you can offer regarding this timely question for, I think, many on the Oregon forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 11:01 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Ashland is not now at a threat level from fires. Ashland has always been at threat level from fires. Lots of potential for smoke in summer and fall. Always been that way.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:15 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
At 60ish yrs of age, you should be smart and wise enough not to fall for such silly foolishness as "global warming."

Lot's of causes for camp fire - global warming is not one of them.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:51 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
At 60ish yrs of age, you should be smart and wise enough not to fall for such silly foolishness as "global warming."

You shouldn't be so foolish as to think that the issue in question is whether or not global warming CAUSES fires. There is no "global warming" monster running around with matches starting fires. That much is certainly true.

However drought is leading to more intense fires that grow out of control faster, and burn larger acreages once the fires start through ordinary ways such as lightning and humans.

Warming and drying forests are leading to more outbreaks of pests like spruce and pine beetles which kill off vast stretches of western forests and make them more susceptible to catastrophic fires. Dead trees burn more explosively than live trees.

None of this is remotely controversial from a scientific perspective. This is what the professional fire fighters who actually fight these fires have to say: https://wfca.com/wildfire-articles/t...-on-wildfires/

Quote:
In the aftermath of the 2020 wildfires, scientists delved into the factors that contributed to the unprecedented devastation of the wildfire season. They found that climate change brought on hotter and drier conditions, allowing for vegetation to burn easily. Additionally, decades of fire suppression have allowed fuel to accumulate in forests.4 Temperature plays a crucial role in the life processes of bark beetles, it can influence factors like larval development and the ability to withstand cold conditions. The connection between temperatures and a bark beetle’s physiology directly affects their population growth. Higher temperatures lead to better survival rates and faster development.

Bark beetles bring about the death of their host trees through mass attacks, a coordinated effort requiring synchronized emergence of adult beetles. The timing of this emergence is influenced by specific temperature-related thresholds in both development and diapause, which is a dormant phase marked by reduced respiration. Because temperature strongly affects population growth and limited rainfall can cause stress to the host trees, scientists can determine that changes in temperature and rainfall due to climate change could impact bark beetle populations in the future. This influence could result in population increases, depending on the kind of beetles and where the forests are located.5

Old 03-22-2024, 03:02 AM
Status: "Positive change starts with admitting when one is wrong." (set 29 days ago)

32 posts, read 45,260 times
I did not mean to frame 'global warming' as the only cause of fire-issues in the area; but, it seems that in these polarized times, my innocent comment has been framed as political, which certainly was not my intent.

I mean, when you have folks calling the poster (in this case, me) 'foolish,' then one knows they're not likely to receive helpful information, moving forward – and I like to keep things drama-free.

So, thanks, Oregonwoodsmoke, for your courteous response; but, I think I'm done with this particular forum, as civility seems to be lacking.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:49 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

As a 60 year old you should be smart and wise enough not to be a science denier and to argue with scientists.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean W. View Post
I did not mean to frame 'global warming' as the only cause of fire-issues in the area; but, it seems that in these polarized times, my innocent comment has been framed as political, which certainly was not my intent.

I mean, when you have folks calling the poster (in this case, me) 'foolish,' then one knows they're not likely to receive helpful information, moving forward – and I like to keep things drama-free.

So, thanks, Oregonwoodsmoke, for your courteous response; but, I think I'm done with this particular forum, as civility seems to be lacking.
If you move to a forested area, of course there will always be threat from forest fires. Just like if you move to California there will be a threat from earthquakes. If you move to Oklahoma there will be a threat from tornados. If you move to Florida there will be a threat from hericaines.

Forest fire smoke is a common everyday occurrence anywhere in Oregon during the dry season. Direct threat from forest fires burning your home is a reality, if you live close enough to the forest.

Even if you live a ways away from woodlands, urban wildfires like the ones that ravaged the towns of Talent and Phoenix between Ashland and Medford in 2020 are also a very real threat. If you move to Oregon I would urge you to make sure that your home is as fire proof / fire resistant as possible.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:58 AM

3,777 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
As a 60 year old you should be smart and wise enough not to be a science denier and to argue with scientists.
Scientists are at odds with each other on this topic, as they are on many, many topics. Science history is filled with scientific personalities who bucked the consensus thinking of their time, creating massive paradigm shifts as a result. I find the “science denier” label lazy, among other pejoratives.

Old 03-22-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Scientists are at odds with each other on this topic, as they are on many, many topics. Science history is filled with scientific personalities who bucked the consensus thinking of their time, creating massive paradigm shifts as a result. I find the “science denier” label lazy, among other pejoratives.
I doubt anybody in this thread is really interested in your anti-science beliefs. There are probably other sub-forms where there would be more interest.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Typical Oregon forum.

Whether anyone "believes" in climate change or not, wildfire activity is something to consider when thinking about moving to Ashland.

If you're still reading, OP, I would seek out some local Facebook groups and ask there. Although I realize it's not saying much, you'll get a better quality of dialogue there, and those responding are more likely to actually live in the community in question, or at least be somewhat familiar with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon