Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 04:21 PM

13 posts, read 27,785 times

Advertisements

Hi,

It seems Portland OR, is home to a number of wind energy company offices (like Vestas, Repower, GE .. etc).

Has anyone here have experience working for any of these ?
Also, are there any wind Technicians among us ? What are your impressions so far in the field ? Like it ? Hate it ?
I've heard they put 70hr weeks (6, 11hr days). Is that true and how does it work for you ?

-T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 05:21 PM

25 posts, read 65,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasAn View Post
Hi,

It seems Portland OR, is home to a number of wind energy company offices (like Vestas, Repower, GE .. etc).

Has anyone here have experience working for any of these ?
Also, are there any wind Technicians among us ? What are your impressions so far in the field ? Like it ? Hate it ?
I've heard they put 70hr weeks (6, 11hr days). Is that true and how does it work for you ?

-T
My son works for one company that's got a farm in Sherman County near The Dalles. He works 4 ten hour days and a few on-call hours and that's about it unless there's a big job or a lot of turbines go out.

Maybe other companies work more hours or maybe you're thinking of the companies that build the windmills rather than those who own or operate them.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:16 AM

aah, thanks for this clarification. I was thinking (erroneously it seems) that only manufacturers provide service for their product throughout its life time and some of the listings were pretty demanding. For example this one listing from Clipper (and I have seen similar from GE):
Quote:
http://clipperwind.hodesiq.com/job_d...?JobID=1444939
-Physically performs operation, maintenance and repair activities on wind turbine generators.
-Trouble shoots complicated anomalies within wind turbine generator systems.
-Conducts training lessons as needed to enhance other employees technical knowledge
-Acts as a role model within a field environment to ensure all procedures are followed as required.
-Able to work up to 70 hours per week if needed to meet project and maintenance schedules.
-Performs weekend operations and repair of wind turbine generators as needed.
Would you know how many hours these technicians have to spend driving just to get to the site ? Do they have to relocate just to be close ? ... or do the companies deliberately hire locals from the community nearby just for this reason ?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
No, most of the cow ranchers are gone now.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
No, most of the cow ranchers are gone now.
"Cow ranchers" ?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
Quote:
"Cow ranchers" ?
Well, cow manure is a renewable source of energy.

PG&E Gets Energy From Cow Manure · Environmental Leader · Green Business, Sustainable Business, and Green Strategy News for Corporate Sustainability Executives

Old 12-18-2008, 04:49 PM

25 posts, read 65,857 times
Quote:
aah, thanks for this clarification. I was thinking (erroneously it seems) that only manufacturers provide service for their product throughout its life time and some of the listings were pretty demanding. For example this one listing from Clipper (and I have seen similar from GE):
Would you know how many hours these technicians have to spend driving just to get to the site ? Do they have to relocate just to be close ? ... or do the companies deliberately hire locals from the community nearby just for this reason ?
This is second hand of course but it's my understanding that most people are fairly local, in other words less than an hour's drive one way to work. It's sparsely populated territory so that's how it works out.

The farmers operate around the turbines--their footprint is fairly small at the base--although it looks like they go on forever in some areas. So the local ranches and farms don't supply much of the workforce.

I think many of the turbines stay under warranty with the seller supplying maintenance for a few years--GE, Siemens, etc--so between the dozen or so companies running the turbine farms, warranty maintenance teams from turbine makers, those who erect the turbines, etc., you've got dozens of companies running around the Gorge over several hundred square miles. I'm thinking it'll consolidate in the next few years.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:01 PM

290 posts, read 1,181,423 times
interesting article in the Trib:

Chasing the wind

Old 12-19-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofelves View Post
This is second hand of course but it's my understanding that most people are fairly local, in other words less than an hour's drive one way to work. It's sparsely populated territory so that's how it works out.

The farmers operate around the turbines--their footprint is fairly small at the base--although it looks like they go on forever in some areas. So the local ranches and farms don't supply much of the workforce.

I think many of the turbines stay under warranty with the seller supplying maintenance for a few years--GE, Siemens, etc--so between the dozen or so companies running the turbine farms, warranty maintenance teams from turbine makers, those who erect the turbines, etc., you've got dozens of companies running around the Gorge over several hundred square miles. I'm thinking it'll consolidate in the next few years.
This helps quite a bit, as a primer (a brief mental diagram/chart of the various parties involved), placing this segment of the industry in some context. Thank you my friend

Last edited by ThomasAn; 12-19-2008 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
interesting article in the Trib:

Chasing the wind
Nice article ! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon