Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:20 AM

263 posts, read 889,796 times

Advertisements

I can only seem to find posts from people who used to work there. I'm wondering what the most common vacancies are, starting pay, if they provide daycare, etc....

I have a four year degree in criminology and have experience with deliquents, courts, etc... not sure if they could hire me for anything relating to that, but I woild take another job for reasonable pay, daytime scheduling, and the pure fun of being at Disney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,472 times
I've worked full-time for Disney since 2007, I'm currently a front desk cashier at the Contemporary. I am assuming you are looking for a full-time position. Starting pay for most hourly jobs will be between $7.45 and $8.50. Starting pay for resort housekeepers (which I know they are hiring full-time) is $8.25. I'm not sure what else they are hiring full-time right now. Medical benefits are fantastic now, but I don't know what they will be like with the new union contract (our current union contract expires on 2 October). I would imagine the options will probably stay the same but I wouldn't be surprised if payroll deductions went way up.

I can't really say much about salaried positions, maybe someone else can elaborate on them.

Hourly jobs web site: Walt Disney World Career Opportunities
Salaried and professional jobs website: The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies - Careers

-Harry

Old 02-26-2010, 11:12 AM

263 posts, read 889,796 times
Do hourly and salary employees get benefits at the parks also?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
I have a friend who works part-time for Disney (front desk at one of the resorts). They have cut back her hours drastically within the last year. Her pay is about $7.75ish. After working there for 3 years, she got a raise of .10! You have to work a certain amount of hours per month to qualify for those benefits. I think it is something like 2 or 3 days per month. She gets to go into the parks any time, no restrictions. Does not qualify your family to get like an employee. She gets passes for 11 days, that allows her to get 3 people in per day. After you work many years, you get more days and sometimes coupons to allow additional people in. She also gets discounts on sit down food service and discount of store items. Christmas, they get a bigger discount on store items. She also gets discounts on hotel stays, for herself.

I don't know about the babysitting. My gut feel is no babysitting services for employees. Disney is a cheap company to work for.

For hourly salary, you are better off working at Publix, unless you like and would use the benefits.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:51 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times
As much as I love Disney, I would rather work at a higher paying job and just pay for annual passes...

Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 PM

129 posts, read 246,449 times
JustinsMama,

I agree with you on that...

Plus I love Disney and would be afraid that working there would lose some
of the "magic" for me

Old 02-26-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
Do hourly and salary employees get benefits at the parks also?
All cast members get unlimited admission to the parks for themselves.

Full-time hourly cast members get a blue Main Entrance Pass that lets them get 3 guest into the park 12 times a year. On your 15th anniversary you get a silver Main Entrance Pass that lets you get 3 guests in an unlimited number of times during the year. You also get two free passes during the summer and two during the winter (total of 4 per year) to give to friends or family members. You also get a card in October that gives you an extra Main Entrance admission for three people that is only good until February.

Salaried cast members get a silver Main Entrance Pass from day one.

Regular part-time hourly cast members get a blue Main Entrance Pass that is the same as the one for full-time hourly cast members. I don't know if they get summer and winter passes.

Seasonal part-time cast members get a blue Main Entrance Pass that is good for 6 times instead of 12. It isn't mailed until they have actually worked during the year. I don't know if they get summer and winter passes.

The park admission benefits can be duplicated for at most a few thousand dollars a year (much less if you don't have people to get into the park), so the are unlikely to make up for the amount you will lose working for Disney versus a higher paying job. DO NOT WORK FOR DISNEY FOR PARK ADMISSION.

I love working for Disney, if you don't love working at Disney do not work here. There isn't any way to know if you will like it until you work here. You have to love working with people (including very difficult people) and you have to be able to handle the disconnect between Disney the idea and Disney the company. I have worked for big companies my whole life, and while I have found that they treat their people way better than DuPont (currently that is, working for Dupont in the past was much better) and Valero, they are still a large corporation and have all of normal problems of working for a large corporation. And while the benefits are comparable (in fact, better) than most big companies, the pay is less (certainly far less than DuPont and Valero).

-Harry

Old 02-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
I have a friend who works part-time for Disney (front desk at one of the resorts). They have cut back her hours drastically within the last year. Her pay is about $7.75ish. After working there for 3 years, she got a raise of .10! You have to work a certain amount of hours per month to qualify for those benefits. I think it is something like 2 or 3 days per month. She gets to go into the parks any time, no restrictions. Does not qualify your family to get like an employee. She gets passes for 11 days, that allows her to get 3 people in per day. After you work many years, you get more days and sometimes coupons to allow additional people in. She also gets discounts on sit down food service and discount of store items. Christmas, they get a bigger discount on store items. She also gets discounts on hotel stays, for herself.

I don't know about the babysitting. My gut feel is no babysitting services for employees. Disney is a cheap company to work for.

For hourly salary, you are better off working at Publix, unless you like and would use the benefits.
They have relatively good day care benefits, my sister used their daycare when she was a housekeeper at the Contemporary before her husband got a job in Jacksonville. The hours that the day care is available (6am - 11pm 365 days a year) are longer than most private day care services. There is a waiting list for the day care, you can't just get into it the day you start your job. Disney gives you a scholarship based on your family income and the number of children you have in daycare. They have a special low rate back-up care service ($5 per day if you make less than $11/hour) you can use 15 days per year. They have a summer service for school-age kids, don't know anything about it.

Full-time and regular part-time front desk are in the union and start at $8.75, they recieve automatic 4.5% per year raise the first week of October. Seasonal part-time isn't in the union and gets whatever pay and raises the company wants to give (not much).

Publix is a great company to work for. They are also employee owned, as a general rule employee owned companies provide a good work environment and are very stable financially. There have been several spectacular exceptions to this rule (usually they structured their ESOP in a non-standard way, I'm thinking of an airline startup whose name I can't remember) but from everything I've heard Publix fits the standard.

-Harry

PS YMCA runs the cast member day care center.

Last edited by hgebel; 02-26-2010 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Add YMCA comment, edit poorly composed sentence

Old 02-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygump5 View Post
JustinsMama,

I agree with you on that...

Plus I love Disney and would be afraid that working there would lose some
of the "magic" for me
This is one of those things that is different per person. For a lot of people the magic is enhanced by not knowing what goes on back stage, for many others the opposite is true.

The biggest reason for cast members to lose the magic isn't from seeing how things are done backstage, it's from bad experiences with the company itself. Or occasionally spectacularly bad experiences with a specific guest, but usually your fellow cast members (and the much more usual good guests) provide a lot of support for bad guest experiences. Fellow cast members (and leaders if you are lucky about your department) and guests make most of the magic that you experience as a cast member.

-Harry

Old 02-26-2010, 02:56 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
This is one of those things that is different per person. For a lot of people the magic is enhanced by not knowing what goes on back stage, for many others the opposite is true.

The biggest reason for cast members to lose the magic isn't from seeing how things are done backstage, it's from bad experiences with the company itself. Or occasionally spectacularly bad experiences with a specific guest, but usually your fellow cast members (and the much more usual good guests) provide a lot of support for bad guest experiences. Fellow cast members (and leaders if you are lucky about your department) and guests make most of the magic that you experience as a cast member.

-Harry
My time as a cast member did not in any way spoil the "magic" for me; it actually enhanced it. I enjoyed being "behind the mouse" and seeing things that the guests do not get to see. I must have driven my sweeper truck through almost every corner of that property, and had fun conversations with other cast members from different countries ( I worked backstage @ Epcot). It was an experience that I would not trade for anything in the "World"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando