Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:24 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Yes the Orange Blossom Express rail line would be ultimate and should have been done first if you ask me. I can actually see people living as far out as Apopka and beyond using the train since they are not a straight shot down a highway like places such as Altamonte, Lake Mary, and Sanford. Will people use SunRail to stay off I-4, of course, but I think it would have been brilliant to give an area with a much more complicated path to downtown, a fast, safe, and hopefully convenient way in. Also imagine how cool it would be to hop on a train and out to Mt. Dora for some enjoyment of a cool and very walkable place. Shoot out, enjoy Sunday brunch in the New England of the South, and be back in time for Southern Fried in downtown Orlando.

Im with you about the Orange Blossom Express. I think it should have been done first since SUnrail is so costly and delayed. Why not test out a cheaper proposal and see what adjustments would need to be made to SunRail.

But they need to build the Orange Blossom Express if the Japanese decide to build their MEGA 8000 job facility in apaopka. There is without a doubt a need for public transit and 8000 in a suburban city, Link 17 can not handle alone!!
My Only issue with Sun Rail as it stands s the timing. What the hell. Last train 6:30? Thats a terrible target as many people may want to go to a magic game, or may get off later. I say at least 8:30 At LEAST and then after a magic game ends maybe 2 trains, but the timing is what may keep me from riding it, otherwise with all the lymmo extensions new bus routes and new added shuttle mini lymmo being added I''m on board. I commute without a vehicle now (I Share one) , but without my own vehicle I love it. OF course I plan on getting a car for travels to the beach and theme parks since we dont have rail to those places, but as inner city goes I'm all for less use of a car.

Plus downtown is much more enjoyable and walkable and will be more walkable. I am excited for Orlando again and I plan on staying assuming everything goes correctly, as my related field will be transportation and security so job wise looks good for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Im with you about the Orange Blossom Express. I think it should have been done first since SUnrail is so costly and delayed. Why not test out a cheaper proposal and see what adjustments would need to be made to SunRail.

But they need to build the Orange Blossom Express if the Japanese decide to build their MEGA 8000 job facility in apaopka. There is without a doubt a need for public transit and 8000 in a suburban city, Link 17 can not handle alone!!
My Only issue with Sun Rail as it stands s the timing. What the hell. Last train 6:30? Thats a terrible target as many people may want to go to a magic game, or may get off later. I say at least 8:30 At LEAST and then after a magic game ends maybe 2 trains, but the timing is what may keep me from riding it, otherwise with all the lymmo extensions new bus routes and new added shuttle mini lymmo being added I''m on board. I commute without a vehicle now (I Share one) , but without my own vehicle I love it. OF course I plan on getting a car for travels to the beach and theme parks since we dont have rail to those places, but as inner city goes I'm all for less use of a car.

Plus downtown is much more enjoyable and walkable and will be more walkable. I am excited for Orlando again and I plan on staying assuming everything goes correctly, as my related field will be transportation and security so job wise looks good for me
Agreed and agreed. However, from my understanding the holdup on OBX was the need to update the rails to double tracks. Now that the final municipality, APK, has jumped on board that will happen. It's likely now that OBX will go forward. As to Sunrail, I was perplexed about the schedule also but recently read an article stating they are already considering tweaking the times for the train. It was previously established that the schedule would be adjusted for special events such a Magic games and concerts at the Amway. More recently they already started talking about extending the last trains to at least 7:30 to coincide with more realistic work schedules of downtown workers as well as the hospitals.

FloridaBorn what MEGA employment center are you talking about? Sounds interesting/exciting.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Agreed and agreed. However, from my understanding the holdup on OBX was the need to update the rails to double tracks. Now that the final municipality, APK, has jumped on board that will happen. It's likely now that OBX will go forward. As to Sunrail, I was perplexed about the schedule also but recently read an article stating they are already considering tweaking the times for the train. It was previously established that the schedule would be adjusted for special events such a Magic games and concerts at the Amway. More recently they already started talking about extending the last trains to at least 7:30 to coincide with more realistic work schedules of downtown workers as well as the hospitals.

FloridaBorn what MEGA employment center are you talking about? Sounds interesting/exciting.

Here is the link. Chinese businessman proposes $150 million Asian merchandise mart for Apopka - Orlando Sentinel I seen it on the news the other day and was like WTH, so I researched it myself, legit.

As far as OBX is there a Staus page or link?

Old 02-03-2012, 04:56 PM

Default Photos

Pictures Around Downtown Orlando

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8196/img20111203124540.th.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:

That assumes that everyone working there will be coming from Orange County. You don't take into consideration that at least half the employees are likely to come from Lake and Marion Counties.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That assumes that everyone working there will be coming from Orange County. You don't take into consideration that at least half the employees are likely to come from Lake and Marion Counties.
Marion County?

Yeah right.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:54 PM

I'm also not in favor of this "Creative Village" now that I've looked more into it and found it that it will also take 10 years or more (15,20) to complete? Not in for this.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Marion County?

Yeah right.
Why would you say that? It's only about a 30 minute drive from SE Marion to Apopka.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why would you say that? It's only about a 30 minute drive from SE Marion to Apopka.
Yeah but how many people would want to drive from Marion County, park their car, get on a train, then take a bus, and perhaps do it all over again. Those 30 minutes turn into about 2 hours.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:22 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Yeah but how many people would want to drive from Marion County, park their car, get on a train, then take a bus, and perhaps do it all over again. Those 30 minutes turn into about 2 hours.
I agree with you. Even driving from Marion into Orange can be cumbersome

Back in 2000, my family lived right on the border of Lake and Marion Counties, and my father's job was in Taft, he drove that distance back and forth every day and hated every minute (and mile) of his commute

We moved to Metrowest after about 4 months of that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando