Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unfortunately much of the foreclosure crisis was brought on by homebuyers who refused to accept that there was no way they could afford the homes they were buying. I'm not saying the banks, realtors, and appraisers don't share some blame, but no one held a gun to anyone's head when they signed that $300,000 mortgage note when they were making $9 an hour. or were going to have zero savings after closing, or were going to have to forgo saving for retirement and emergencies in order to pay the mortgage. Unfortunately our society has forgotten the meaning of personal responsibility and has become a society of entitled fools.
Ironically, Clinton himself likely played a role in it as well

Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending - NYTimes.com

Clinton repeal of Glass-Steagall faulty as seen today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
That's one of my beefs with the liberals, they set forward a mindset that made people believe they were "entitled" to own a home. Home ownership is NOT a constitutional right, and probably 30-40% of the people in this country are not suited to home ownership for any one of a variety of reasons.

While I'm all for programs like Habitat for Humanity (which my husband and I have donated heavily to over the years), those programs also vet out people who aren't willing to work towards home ownership, who can't afford to own a home, or who don't have the mental capacity to understand how to budget their finances or understand the concept and cost of maintaining a home.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:38 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Bill Clinton to PBS: Barack Obama will be re-elected; Orlando is a success story – The TV Guy – Orlando Sentinel

Quote:
Clinton also talks up Orlando as he promotes his new book, “Back to Work.”

“A lot of people, they can’t hear things because they’re scared, they’re worried,” Clinton tells Woodruff. “I had two women come through a book line in Orlando, which is one of my success stories I feature in there. I talk about all the government-private cooperation there and why they have a hundred — a hundred computer-simulation companies in Orlando alone.

“And anyway, these two women, one of them said, ‘My husband’s been out of work six months. I hope you have some good advice.’ And she was clearly in her fifties somewhere.

“Next lady comes through about two people later. Same age. ‘I’m here because my husband because I sent him home to bed because he was out of work for eight months, and his first day on his new job is tomorrow.’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando