Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 27,794 times

Advertisements

So....I'm 26…I have a five year old son who is entering kindergarten. I cannot take the crime, 90 inches of snow each year,the outrageous home/rental prices, even more outrageous home prices and I'm in need of just a good ole chamge of scenery.PHILLY WILL ALWAYS BE HOME!!! But there is no future here for me.its not family oriented and no place to raise a child alone. I'm tryna get out by the time my son starts first grade......your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
What type of job skills do you have?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,345,057 times
What's your employment outlook or plan? As others have testified to on this board, there are success stories for people moving here without jobs but it would always be better to have something lined up. Other than that the biggest issues here are that even though we have much lower housing cost and no state income tax, the pay rates here are also lower. Also, we do not have great public transportation like Philly so you will need a vehicle living here. But besides those issues this is a great place to live and raise a child. There are many nice safe areas that can be found for reasonable prices. Give us more specifics on your needs and we can give you more detailed answers.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM

I'm a lincensed insurance agent and have plenty of administrative and sales skills as well. From reading these boards, I'm getting that with WHATEVER I do, I'm gonna need to learn Spanish in a year....(tiome to finally order that Rosetta Stone software lol) I've lived in North Carolina before,so I'm familiar with how in certain places you basolutely need a car.I would be looking to rent first of course,but my main thing is a good school system for my son.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,345,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggy0128 View Post
I'm a lincensed insurance agent and have plenty of administrative and sales skills as well. From reading these boards, I'm getting that with WHATEVER I do, I'm gonna need to learn Spanish in a year....(tiome to finally order that Rosetta Stone software lol) I've lived in North Carolina before,so I'm familiar with how in certain places you basolutely need a car.I would be looking to rent first of course,but my main thing is a good school system for my son.
You wouldn't absolutely need to speak Spanish, but it does help alot. In most offices, there are many Spanish speaking staff members to assist with translation. Most insurance offices in this area are located downtown, Maitland and Lake Mary. All these areas are nice. Other areas to consider are Altamonte Springs, Longwood, and Oviedo.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,349,725 times
In the small law firm I work in here in Orlando (larger main office is in Ft. Lauderdale) there are two "hispanic" employees (if you want to group them that way) one, an attorney is of portugese descent and married to a hispanic/latino attorney - she doesn't speak (or know) spanish. The other - our office assistant's (cutest girl ever and so sweet) parents are both from the Dominican Republic and she doesn't know spanish.

I had the same thoughts as you did before we moved down here...but the spanish requierment hasn't been the case that I've seen.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM

Oh okay...got it. And it doesn't have to be Orlando...it can be the surrounding area. I'm reeeeeally thinking about making the move once my son finishes kindergarten...

Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times
Do a bit more research for cities/states that are doing well during this recession. There is almost zero
growth and that is a disaster.

Texas is doing much better than Florida even with some negatives, you might consider Houston area.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:22 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
So....I'm 26…I have a five year old son who is entering kindergarten. I cannot take the crime, 90 inches of snow each year,the outrageous home/rental prices, even more outrageous home prices and I'm in need of just a good ole chamge of scenery.PHILLY WILL ALWAYS BE HOME!!! But there is no future here for me.its not family oriented and no place to raise a child alone. I'm tryna get out by the time my son starts first grade......your thoughts?
As you can tell by my username, I moved down from Philly myself and feel your pain. I couldn't wait to get out and miraculously was able to sell my house last Fall. Florida is a great place to live and has some definite positives over other areas of the country. While the job market isn't the best, it's improving noticeably and by the time you make your move in the next 12 months or so it may be moving back closer to normal. I would encourage you to also consider other parts of the state, particularly the coastal areas as the weather is nicer (a tad cooler and ocean breezes). I wound up in Orlando only because of family health issues.

Check out Pinellas County in the Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area,especially the cities of Palm Harbor and Tarpon Springs/East Lake. The public schools are excellent, it's very safe/family-friendly and they're in the second largest metro area in the state in terms of jobs.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Palm-Harbor-Florida.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/East-Lake-Florida.html

Believe it or not much of the Jacksonville metro area is also quite nice and would recommend checking out the south side suburb of Ponte Vedra which includes the neighborhoods of Julington Creek and Nocatee. They're all part of the St Johns County School system which is one the top three school districts in the state. http://www.city-data.com/city/Ponte-Vedra-Florida.html

Old 07-30-2011, 11:10 AM

81 posts, read 154,160 times
Quote:
i'm feeling your pain, at least the thread title mader me laugh, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando