Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 AM

65 posts, read 233,844 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am a lifelong resident of West Michigan. I work in the Technology Service industry as a Network Engineer. One of the clients I work for is on the board for a resort and Country Club in Kissimmee. He offered me a job at the resort over seeing all their technology. The pay is great compared to what I am making here.

I have a wife who is a certified Elementary School teacher. She has been looking for a job for the last three years in Michigan with no luck. She has been working part time just to keep her foot in the door. We also have an infant child.

We are considering this opportunity I have come across mostly because my wife really wants to teach children. It is her sincere calling, and she is ready to give up and be a stay at home mother because too many people are leaving Michigan with its bad economy, so there is not much hope for her to get a position soon.

We have heard from some of my wifes college friends who are teaching in Florida, that Florida is hiring teachers over the phone because they are so desperate for the help. In our quick research we found that the County Kissimmee schools are in has tons of elementary teacher needs, even right now while school is in session.

We do not know much about the Kissimmee area. From what I could tell on research from the internet, it is somewhat like the community we live in. I have been reading other threads around here about the Orlando area and its demographics, schools, and crime.

What I am asking is for someone to please tell me their thoughts on what kind of area Kissimmee is. Please take into consideration, that we come from a very conservative small Dutch settled, historical town. It is 5000 residents, 95% of which are white. It is a good mix of Blue Collar, and White collar. The saying goes for us, "there is a church on every corner", so we are a very Christian area. Crime is almost non-existent. No homecides, major robbery's, or assaults. The public schools are excellent for educating your children. The average home price for a 3 bed, two bath, 2000 square foot home is $155,000. We have a small, quaint down town that has a lot of family activities to keep the community feeling like a "small town". If you saw what we call "ghetto" you would laugh, because if I want to, I can go jogging in the middle of the night there and be safe.

We are not immune to "ghetto" or crime. Grand Rapids is our closest major city at about 25 miles, and it averages 30 murders a year, and has some ghetto areas you can not go to if you are white... day or night. My job takes me all over Michigan, so I do travel to rougher areas where a lot of people would feel unsafe. But in Michigan citizens are allowed to obtain a concealed weapons permit if they qualify. I have one, and carry a concealed weapon for protection when I know I am going to work in a rougher area. I know Florida has easier concealed weapons laws for responsible citizens, so I will be planning on doing the same if I move my family there. I guess what I am trying to say with that is, I do not need to live in a perfectly crime free area. I do take my, and my family's safety into my own hands before I depend on the community to do so.

We want to live in an area that we feel safe letting our children play outdoors in the neighborhood with other kids without complete supervision. We enjoy that luxury here. We also would like to move to an area with great public schools. We are hearing that a lot of Florida's public schools are not that great right now, so if private schools are more affordable than here in Michigan, we would consider that. (In our town a private Christian school is $6200 a year per child).

My wife is bi-lingual and is currently working part time as an English as a second language aid. So we do have a growing population of mexican immigrants moving to nearby towns.

Please let me know if we found Kissimmee as a good match to what we are coming from, or any other insight you can give us.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 PM
kye

13 posts, read 73,289 times
Exclamation hopefully you have not bought here yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedekock View Post
Hello all!

I am a lifelong resident of West Michigan. I work in the Technology Service industry as a Network Engineer. One of the clients I work for is on the board for a resort and Country Club in Kissimmee. He offered me a job at the resort over seeing all their technology. The pay is great compared to what I am making here.

I have a wife who is a certified Elementary School teacher. She has been looking for a job for the last three years in Michigan with no luck. She has been working part time just to keep her foot in the door. We also have an infant child.

We are considering this opportunity I have come across mostly because my wife really wants to teach children. It is her sincere calling, and she is ready to give up and be a stay at home mother because too many people are leaving Michigan with its bad economy, so there is not much hope for her to get a position soon.

We have heard from some of my wifes college friends who are teaching in Florida, that Florida is hiring teachers over the phone because they are so desperate for the help. In our quick research we found that the County Kissimmee schools are in has tons of elementary teacher needs, even right now while school is in session.

We do not know much about the Kissimmee area. From what I could tell on research from the internet, it is somewhat like the community we live in. I have been reading other threads around here about the Orlando area and its demographics, schools, and crime.

What I am asking is for someone to please tell me their thoughts on what kind of area Kissimmee is. Please take into consideration, that we come from a very conservative small Dutch settled, historical town. It is 5000 residents, 95% of which are white. It is a good mix of Blue Collar, and White collar. The saying goes for us, "there is a church on every corner", so we are a very Christian area. Crime is almost non-existent. No homecides, major robbery's, or assaults. The public schools are excellent for educating your children. The average home price for a 3 bed, two bath, 2000 square foot home is $155,000. We have a small, quaint down town that has a lot of family activities to keep the community feeling like a "small town". If you saw what we call "ghetto" you would laugh, because if I want to, I can go jogging in the middle of the night there and be safe.

We are not immune to "ghetto" or crime. Grand Rapids is our closest major city at about 25 miles, and it averages 30 murders a year, and has some ghetto areas you can not go to if you are white... day or night. My job takes me all over Michigan, so I do travel to rougher areas where a lot of people would feel unsafe. But in Michigan citizens are allowed to obtain a concealed weapons permit if they qualify. I have one, and carry a concealed weapon for protection when I know I am going to work in a rougher area. I know Florida has easier concealed weapons laws for responsible citizens, so I will be planning on doing the same if I move my family there. I guess what I am trying to say with that is, I do not need to live in a perfectly crime free area. I do take my, and my family's safety into my own hands before I depend on the community to do so.

We want to live in an area that we feel safe letting our children play outdoors in the neighborhood with other kids without complete supervision. We enjoy that luxury here. We also would like to move to an area with great public schools. We are hearing that a lot of Florida's public schools are not that great right now, so if private schools are more affordable than here in Michigan, we would consider that. (In our town a private Christian school is $6200 a year per child).

My wife is bi-lingual and is currently working part time as an English as a second language aid. So we do have a growing population of mexican immigrants moving to nearby towns.

Please let me know if we found Kissimmee as a good match to what we are coming from, or any other insight you can give us.

Thank you!
Those stats are so off,that is not correct, come and see for yourself. The average house is much higher,very much higher! And craftsmen ship, pure junk.
Regarding cost,Florida is higher on everything. Even if salary is much higher the cost of living will increase your current expense so much ,you may or may not be able to notice the increase.
Kissimmee,if racist attitude and low standards,crazy traffic do not bother you ,your ok.
The racist thing of all I do not understand. It is nothing I am use to,I am white....here if your not Cuban,Puerto,Dominique or from Peru , basically any group that speaks Spanish for the most rude treatment you have ever seen! Even if you speak Spanish , it will not matter. this is pathetically racist. one exception to Spanish speaking cultures, this one really blows me away....
Hispanics, Mexican origin, are treated like animals here ,its like nothing we have ever encountered,honestly.
A friend came to visit,well educated,totally adored black lady, I cannot tell you how many times my dear friend was called such ugly names.
No art,culture are of any kind. Disney owns this city.
City council does not exist for resident only Disney. Police department has such attitude you will not want to call them,they seem uninterested in being helpful only hateful.
This sounds so negative and not like me,frankly,before I spent over half million on a house I have grown to dislike WISH with all of my heart someone had been honest with me.
If possible,come for week long visit,if your not doing park tour,do as you already live here,you will see what I mean.
Spanish is the dominant language and the people ,services and aura of it all are sad,depressing and frankly pathetic.
No matter how you try to get along,they are so racist..if only one person we have met were not so,I would quickly recant.
Sadly,I cannot and be honest.
No one in their right mind would want a child raised in this environment.
Suggest college Park,is a bit more price wise but you will find less negatives. Also,Brandon,it is half way between Tampa and Orlando ,easy access ,that's nice area.
Check police department for crime rate in Kissimmee,you have to see it to believe it.
Drugs are bad everywhere but here expect you will be approached daily, seriously by a crack head.
The entire Orlando area is such a tragic example of Florida really.
Last but not least,if every hustler is not already here,they have been here or on their way here.
It is not a place to live seriously. Visit,maybe,frankly,even the tourist are treated badly and most rude!
The word luxury is nothing ,no word ,no way I would use in conjunction with Kissimmee. The area the local consider as such is called Hunters Creek and it is nothing to get excited about.
If you do not come for a week or two ,see for yourself,you will regret it.
With all of my heart,if I knew what I know ......no way on earth would I have bought a doghouse here.
Remember,the main thing in this town is Disney and what brings everyone here? Advertising..false advertising.
The statement about crime situation,that is so not true. This place is horrid!
Suggest checking local paper here,also Zabasearch,do search on city that way.
Zillow.com for real estate Realtor here are dishonest beyond belief!
Maybe the stats on race numbers are due to the fact so many illegal's live here??
Medical? Vets in Michigan are better.
The only honest positive thing I can think to say is the weather is nice.
You stated you take your family's safety seriously,that is wonderful. If so,you will not want to move her without forming your own opinion of this place. The things you wrote are not correct,again false advertising situation.
Check it out for yourself.
Good luck

Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,865 times
As a Former Michigander, Now Living in what i thought was a nice place KISSIMMEE , Don't Move here , There is NOTHING that even Closely Resembles anything about Michigan In Kissimmee or Orlando...
Sure your wife will get a job No problem, But Take this to heart.. The Educational System In Florida is Failing and Failing badly couple that with Un disciplined Children and Pretty much Non active Parents you have got a Mess ...
I know Michigan is in Dire straights, but I seriously would rethink your potentional Move to this area...You should really come down here to check it for yourself,and not as a tourist, as a potential Floridian...
Go to BVl , and Poinciana and Hunters Creek all areas that surround or are in Kissimmee...
Crime here is worse then where you are im sure. and in this area there are'nt churches on every corner, instead we have Cash America and Pawn Shops on every corner...
Central Florida is Very Diverse, and the other poster is correct in saying their is Racism here..
I remember Detroit and the Racisim, this is different here .
Good Luck with what ever you decide is the Right thing for you and your Family .
there are other parts of Florida that are better then Central Florida ( kissimmee area)

Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 PM

207 posts, read 926,148 times
I suggest you go for it and if you don't like it you can always go back; additionally, if you don't give it a try you will never know for sure. You may find that your experience maybe completely different than some of the posts above.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:51 PM

207 posts, read 926,148 times
On another note, I recall early in my professional career I was given a long term assignment (years) in a location that know one else (colleagues) wanted for all sorts of negative reasons. However it turned out to be one of the most memorable/positive periods of my life. In essence, you will never know until you see and experience it for yourself.

Last edited by krock67; 10-04-2007 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 04:52 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,141 times
Keep in mind that if you take a job in Kissimmee it doesn't mean you have to live here. You may want to look into St. Cloud specifically the Narcoossee area or Harmony. East Osceola county still has the small town feel and it would not be a far commute to Kissimmee.
I have lived in Kissimmee my entire life and have stayed to raise my children. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to help you. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Keep in mind that if you take a job in Kissimmee it doesn't mean you have to live here. You may want to look into St. Cloud specifically the Narcoossee area or Harmony. East Osceola county still has the small town feel and it would not be a far commute to Kissimmee.
I have lived in Kissimmee my entire life and have stayed to raise my children. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to help you. Good luck!
Is the crime and racism really as bad as some of the previous posters printed? I am not questioning their credibility, but would like the insight of someone who has raised a family in Kissimmee. Remember what I am coming from as I described in my original post.

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the info so far. It is much appreciated.

After reading some of the warning of the Orlando and Kissimmee area, we may decide to wait out our horrible economy in Michigan rather than move, and possibly never be able to move back due to the bad economy we face here at home.

My Brother lived for a year in Fort Myers, and he told me that even there where the crime is not bad, and it is mostly older retired people for their population, that the adjustment was tough. He said people are more rude, and not as "neighborly" as they are here in Michigan. And that I understand Fort Myers is a "good" area.

I can see the surrounding cities in Orlando governing their city with policy's that cater to the tourism that stems from the Disney enterprise. The sad thing is, if a town like Kissimmee can not be governed in a way that makes the city separate from Orlando and Disney, than the citizens are not first. And that is going to make for a bad town to raise a family.

Thank you all for your help.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:26 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedekock View Post
Thanks everyone for the info so far. It is much appreciated.

After reading some of the warning of the Orlando and Kissimmee area, we may decide to wait out our horrible economy in Michigan rather than move, and possibly never be able to move back due to the bad economy we face here at home.

My Brother lived for a year in Fort Myers, and he told me that even there where the crime is not bad, and it is mostly older retired people for their population, that the adjustment was tough. He said people are more rude, and not as "neighborly" as they are here in Michigan. And that I understand Fort Myers is a "good" area.

I can see the surrounding cities in Orlando governing their city with policy's that cater to the tourism that stems from the Disney enterprise. The sad thing is, if a town like Kissimmee can not be governed in a way that makes the city separate from Orlando and Disney, than the citizens are not first. And that is going to make for a bad town to raise a family.

Thank you all for your help.
You made a wise choice. I only wish I had done the same.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,413 times
i have lived here in Kissimmee all my life. Crime is bad, but not as bad as some may make it sound.

As someone stated earlier you should check out St.cloud. It is actually a very nice area which still has some small town charm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando