Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:53 PM

511 posts, read 855,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I cook at home a lot and often bring food to work I very rarely eat out, & when I do it's abt once a week at a place like Chipotle or Five Guys so its usually around $10
I cook a lot too now that I have children, it's much cheaper and much healthier especially shopping at stores like Publix and the like, it only takes an educated eye to avoid the unhealthy foods at ANY store..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 AM

577 posts, read 670,008 times
Orlando is very far from being a proper functioning city. 1% of people in Orlando use public transport. I've spent 10 years using it and the only people I see on there are poor minorities and mentally unstable people. No-one else uses it, and not surprising since you usually have to walk a mile (in 100 degree weather) to catch a bus, and if you miss that bus you have to wait an hour for the next one, and then when you get that one it takes 30 minutes just to get to the nearest grocery store because the place is so huge. The Sunrail is happening next year, but it's going to make very little difference. Most of the people I know in Orlando are in their 30s and they have literally NEVER used public transport. Some haven't even used a taxi. I had a friend who walked 10 miles home from a bar one night because she lost her ride and didn't know how to get a taxi. It's ludicrous. And of course no-one walks anywhere because it's too hot and there are limited sidewalks (maximum of one side per road in most streets I've been on).

Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 AM

22 posts, read 36,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
Average my backside, based on WHAT vehicle? and what interest rate??
Those figures aren't as wild as they seem. New cars can get much better financing terms, but reliable used cars have a cheaper purchase price. Running a few examples will help make the case:

$25,000 new car. 48 month financing @ 0.00% = $494.58/month
$20,000 used car. 48 month financing @ 2.49% = $404.01/month
$15,000 used car. 48 month financing @ 2.49% = $287.89/month

Average = $395.49/month

Obviously, the rates, duration and purchase price can fluctuate, but strong credit can obtain 0.00% on a new car. 2.49% on a used vehicle is fairly conservative, as well, and many average buyers wouldn't get that low of a rate. Cheaper cars and more expensive cars are obviously available, but I think this represents a pretty average part of the car buying curve. I wouldn't personally want to have a $400/month car payment, but stating that as an overall average is probably not far off.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
Average my backside, based on WHAT vehicle? and what interest rate??
New Car Buyers Stretching Out Payments

Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 AM

22 posts, read 36,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You make a lot of assumptions, particularly about car payments, insurance, gas, etc.

Until I changed jobs I used less than $200 a month in gas driving 40 miles r/t a day. A solid pre-owned vehicle can have a car payment of under $200 a month. So that's $250 a month less than you suggest.

A $40 water bill--even with a washer and dryer is nuts. We don't spend that in a month for three adults and two large dogs. Closer to $25 on average. Electric for a small apartment shouldn't be more than $65 per month on average. I eat very healthy foods--nothing processed at all. mostly lean meats, fish, and fresh vegetables, and can easily feed myself on $75 a week at the most. There's another $75 saved.

My numbers are $325 lower than yours, that assumes a car payment, which isn't always a necessity. A lot of people buy solid cars and drive them for 10+ years, meaning no car payment after the first couple of years.
+1 on the groceries. The two of us can get out of the grocery store for $300/month or so, and that includes a cart of almost exclusively lean beef, chicken, fish, fresh vegetables and possibly some cheese and natural peanut butter.

$39,000/yr is not a hefty sum of money. However, as annerk seems to be pointing out, with proper planning and a lifestyle in line with your income, it's a very liveable amount of money. Savings can be found in almost anything if you dig deep enough.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard Staples View Post
+1 on the groceries. The two of us can get out of the grocery store for $300/month or so, and that includes a cart of almost exclusively lean beef, chicken, fish, fresh vegetables and possibly some cheese and natural peanut butter.

$39,000/yr is not a hefty sum of money. However, as annerk seems to be pointing out, with proper planning and a lifestyle in line with your income, it's a very liveable amount of money. Savings can be found in almost anything if you dig deep enough.
I can hear my neighbors A/C running right now. I have the windows open on this gorgeous day. In the winter I heat to 66 at night, 68 during the day, opening and closing blinds to let in the sunshine and keep out the cold (I had the HVAC system completely off for 11 weeks this past winter.) I do the reverse in the summer, where my A/C sits at 78 during the day and 72 at night. For a ~3000 s/f house, my electric annually averages $150 a month.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You make a lot of assumptions, particularly about car payments, insurance, gas, etc.

Until I changed jobs I used less than $200 a month in gas driving 40 miles r/t a day. A solid pre-owned vehicle can have a car payment of under $200 a month. So that's $250 a month less than you suggest.

A $40 water bill--even with a washer and dryer is nuts. We don't spend that in a month for three adults and two large dogs. Closer to $25 on average. Electric for a small apartment shouldn't be more than $65 per month on average. I eat very healthy foods--nothing processed at all. mostly lean meats, fish, and fresh vegetables, and can easily feed myself on $75 a week at the most. There's another $75 saved.

My numbers are $325 lower than yours, that assumes a car payment, which isn't always a necessity. A lot of people buy solid cars and drive them for 10+ years, meaning no car payment after the first couple of years.
Not really, despite the insinuation that your isolated example is the norm for everyone else. Not every car is gas economical, not every commute is short, not everyone uses their car to go/to from work and/or school (or just one job), not everyone lives someplace with low water rates (mine averages $45 with one adult in 1200 sq ft), the same goes for electrical rates and how energy efficient their home, appliances and a/c unit are (worth noting that rental communities aren't exactly known for that), the difference between $75 and $100 per week for groceries is pretty nominal and variable to say the least, the average car loan is $475 a month and most are at least 4 year loans, not just a couple years. Speaking of generalizations...

Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not really, despite the insinuation that your isolated example is the norm for everyone else. Not every car is gas economical, not every commute is short, not everyone uses their car to go/to from work and/or school (or just one job), not everyone lives someplace with low water rates (mine averages $45 with one adult in 1200 sq ft), the same goes for electrical rates and how energy efficient their home, appliances and a/c unit are (worth noting that rental communities aren't exactly known for that), the difference between $75 and $100 per week for groceries is pretty nominal and variable to say the least, the average car loan is $475 a month and most are at least 4 year loans, not just a couple years. Speaking of generalizations...
The point is that people makes choices. Choose a 12 mpg SUV and then shut up. No one cares that they can't afford the gas to get to work. No one cares that the payment is killing them. That was their choice, and they made a stupid one. Don't cry to me about it.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 AM

490 posts, read 1,098,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard Staples View Post
Those figures aren't as wild as they seem. New cars can get much better financing terms, but reliable used cars have a cheaper purchase price. Running a few examples will help make the case:

$25,000 new car. 48 month financing @ 0.00% = $494.58/month
$20,000 used car. 48 month financing @ 2.49% = $404.01/month
$15,000 used car. 48 month financing @ 2.49% = $287.89/month

Average = $395.49/month

Obviously, the rates, duration and purchase price can fluctuate, but strong credit can obtain 0.00% on a new car. 2.49% on a used vehicle is fairly conservative, as well, and many average buyers wouldn't get that low of a rate. Cheaper cars and more expensive cars are obviously available, but I think this represents a pretty average part of the car buying curve. I wouldn't personally want to have a $400/month car payment, but stating that as an overall average is probably not far off.
That's why you should lease!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
That's why you should lease!
Leasing is stupid unless you can get a tax benefit from doing so. I bought a brand new Toyota Matrix for $20K in 2009. Financed for three years, 0% APR. Paid it off last summer. Expect to keep it for another 6-8 years. That's 6-8 years with no payment. If I had leased, I would either have had to lease another car or take a loan to buy it at the end of the lease--all that on top of what I had already paid. No thanks. Leasing keeps you in a never-ending payment cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando