Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:51 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,869 times

Advertisements

Metro Orlando takes baby steps to improve ranking: "Financially-distressed" Metro Orlando takes baby steps to improve consumer financial ranking - OrlandoSentinel.com

Long road back but i see some improvements in the area. Opinions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
God 10 straight quarters atop their list, way too much gloom and doom for me. And perhaps I just don't buy it. Our metro unemployment rate is only 6.6% which puts it only slightly behind the metros in Texas and ahead of most of the Southeast. Now, I will concede that our jobs tend to be "lower paying service industry jobs," but come on, should we really be ranked the worst. Even though growth slowed during the recession, we still saw some huge civic improvements started and/or completed, and even some huge expansions at the parks (in anticipation of the turnaround). Now I'm smart enough to realize we're not even close to pre-recession levels, but I've traveled to many metros across the southeast during the downturn and definitely witnessed way more "financial-distress" than back here in Central Florida despite everything we were hit with.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Our metro unemployment rate is only 6.6% which puts it only slightly behind the metros in Texas and ahead of most of the Southeast. Now, I will concede that our jobs tend to be "lower paying service industry jobs....
While our unemployment rate may be low it doesn't tell the full story. It's well documented that the average salary here is lower than most any major metro area in the US while our cost of living is around middle of the pack. Lastly available jobs tend to be mostly part-time and lacking in benefits.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
While our unemployment rate may be low it doesn't tell the full story. It's well documented that the average salary here is lower than most any major metro area in the US while our cost of living is around middle of the pack. Lastly available jobs tend to be mostly part-time and lacking in benefits.
Yeah, much better to be an area like metro Detroit or central CA with real double-digit unemployment

Old 05-17-2013, 12:38 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
I do understand this, but I will tell you that everything cost the same if not more in the Greenville SC metro except housing (which I rented so that was a wash) and utilities (which are partially included in rent in Orlando in many cases). My groceries and everything else were the same, if not more, and I made less, and my fiancee would have made 10k a year less as a teacher up there had she been able to actually find a district that was hiring. She found a job immediately in Orlando and makes more and pays less for her benefits than her SC friends who became teachers up there. So we can not immediately discount a lower unemployment rate for here vs there because for our lives it made a real difference plus we get to live in a much larger city with more to do and better weather for our's (and many's) preference.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yeah, much better to be an area like metro Detroit or central CA with real double-digit unemployment
No one ever said either were better options. However obviously there are numerous better options given the economic facts.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I do understand this, but I will tell you that everything cost the same if not more in the Greenville SC metro except housing (which I rented so that was a wash) and utilities (which are partially included in rent in Orlando in many cases). My groceries and everything else were the same, if not more, and I made less, and my fiancee would have made 10k a year less as a teacher up there had she been able to actually find a district that was hiring. She found a job immediately in Orlando and makes more and pays less for her benefits than her SC friends who became teachers up there. So we can not immediately discount a lower unemployment rate for here vs there because for our lives it made a real difference plus we get to live in a much larger city with more to do and better weather for our's (and many's) preference.
Greenville SC isn't necessarily a great comparison point given the size of the metro area. Better comparisons would be Charlotte, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Antonio or Cincinnati if talking apple to apple in terms of size. And as well all know, weather doesn't pay bills or contribute towards retirement savings.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
No one ever said either were better options. However obviously there are numerous better options given the economic facts.
Orlando Sentinel

Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Quote from article:
'Though state and local numbers are heading in the right direction, economists point out that much of the job growth is happening in sectors that do not pay very well or offer particularly generous benefits.

Seyfried said in Metro Orlando, about 70 percent of the jobs created in April were in retail sales. Over the past year, 44 percent of the region's new jobs came from the leisure and hospitality sector.

Mark Soskin, an economics professor at the University of Central Florida, said the state is still woozy from the loss of tens of thousands of jobs in construction, the space industry and the defense industry.

"Many of those were good fringe benefits, high-salary jobs," he said. "And many of them aren't likely to return soon."

While the job market clearly has improved, it likely looks stronger than it really is. That's because the labor force participation rate — a measure of people working or looking for work — has been contracting at both the state and national levels, a trend that helps suppress the jobless rate."

Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Quote from article:
'Though state and local numbers are heading in the right direction, economists point out that much of the job growth is happening in sectors that do not pay very well or offer particularly generous benefits.

Seyfried said in Metro Orlando, about 70 percent of the jobs created in April were in retail sales. Over the past year, 44 percent of the region's new jobs came from the leisure and hospitality sector.

Mark Soskin, an economics professor at the University of Central Florida, said the state is still woozy from the loss of tens of thousands of jobs in construction, the space industry and the defense industry.

"Many of those were good fringe benefits, high-salary jobs," he said. "And many of them aren't likely to return soon."

While the job market clearly has improved, it likely looks stronger than it really is. That's because the labor force participation rate — a measure of people working or looking for work — has been contracting at both the state and national levels, a trend that helps suppress the jobless rate."
Exactly....everyone loves to look past the fact that the new jobs are part-time generally, have no benefits and pay maybe $9-$10 an hour, with 70% of the jobs created in Retail since April and nearly half in Leisure and Hospitality over the past year....which doesn't include Retail numbers. One has to look past the numbers to see the reality of what is happening economically. Denver, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, San Jose and Cincinnati also are at or near 7.2% unemployment. To suggest Orlando is on equal economic footing with any of those cities is pure idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando